Debit card hacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debit card hacked

Looks like I been hacked. Got a new debit card and activated it on Oct 5th. Within 45 minutes there were three $72 charges to Simple Mobile Services, a prepaid cell phone company. I remember exactly where I activated the card and exactly what I paid for. Went to the bank and disputed the charges and informed them of where I used the card and activated it. No other charges were made to the card by me. Bad part was the bank informed me that these charges were set up to be re-occuring monthly charges. Had I not caught this I would be getting hit for $217 every month. Card was canceled and bank said an investigation was in place. Hope they bust these jackwagons and hang them with piano wire.

A little online research turned up a lot of fraudulent activity with this company involving debit cards.

Lucky for me I always go online and check my bank accounts at least once a week. Everyone should do the same.

Rant over!

Not only will they not bust them, they won't even try.

I had a friggin' waiter steal my card while I was waiting for the bill, walk across the street and buy $2500 worth of clothes at several different stores. It was all on camera. The restaurant made me a DVD with the theft captured and I tried to give it to the CC company for prosecution. They refused and refunded my money. Wasn't worth it to them to go after him.

Just unreal. They know the amount that won't be chased and they're never prosecuted until they get super greedy.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

This is why you should NEVER use a debit card.

Get a credit card and only use that. If your credit card gets stolen, you have recourse and can dispute the charges. If this happens with a debit card, it can be much harder to get your money back.... if you get it back at all.

Comment

And thats why I use credit card instead of debit. You got some protection with the credit card and your money is still in the bank. I do only use the CC as a debit in reference to money on had and pay it off every month so I pay no interest and get points/cash back.

Comment

Originally posted by willwork04 View Post
            this is why you should never use a debit card.

Get a credit card and only use that. If your credit card gets stolen, you have recourse and can dispute the charges. If this happens with a debit card, it can be much harder to get your money back.... If you get it back at all.
            ^^^^this^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilazo View Post
              ^^^^this^^^^
              Thank you.

Waiting to hear the "you should never get a credit card" crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by willwork04 View Post
                This is why you should NEVER use a debit card.

Get a credit card and only use that. If your credit card gets stolen, you have recourse and can dispute the charges. If this happens with a debit card, it can be much harder to get your money back.... if you get it back at all.

Well I guess I've been lucky. we had our debit cards and debit account hit 3 times in one month. And savings account he next month. All Chase accounts. Didn't have any issue with getting my money back. My Credit card was hit once and it was more trouble than anything. I use a debit card everyday but some places I do credit instead of debit. gas stations for sure.

Comment

Wife and I have had our debit cards hacked three times over the last 10 years or so. Never took more than one phone call to the bank to get it back.

Comment

I’ve had my debit card hacked twice this year, but my credit union never gives me any grief. I guess that’s why I stay with them, fill out a simple form and they refund my money back to my account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just recently learned this lesson as well. Someone took my business debit card and the bank denied one charge after they checked with me. Then they canceled the card. After looking at my account they got over $800 through before it was canceled. Bank is investigating and supposed to put money back today. Looks like I will be going the CC route from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilazo View Post
                        ^^^^this^^^^
                        X3...

Solved from getting hacked... crooks everywhere...

Comment

I got scammed for 400.00 while fueling up, thiefs are now somehow adding mini cameras and catch u inserting your pin number, wish i knew who the thief was he'd be missing a few fingers!

Comment

Originally posted by HELLRAZOR View Post
                            I got scammed for 400.00 while fueling up, thiefs are now somehow adding mini cameras and catch u inserting your pin number, wish i knew who the thief was he'd be missing a few fingers!
                            I heard that same thing too. Also, these bastages are putting card readers on the pumps. If you enter your pin, they can get it that way too. I only use the credit option/zip code when getting gas now.

Comment

Get as many credit cards as you can and max everyone out. Than, file bankruptcy just to **** off jer james

Hi jer james!

Comment

Working...
                              X