Turkeys?! Since When?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
    DD where do you hunt? I see you're right down the road. I work on Hufsmith Kohrville just S of 2920, closer to Holderreith.

I hunt Turkey in Brownwood/goldthwaite area on a real good friend’s land. Not sure how it’s going to be next spring since they had a bad fire this summer. Hopefully it doesn’t affect the birds. Where’s your land that you’re seeing turkey? Keeping feeders for them is a good idea to keep them around in the spring. Bc the gobblers will want to be where the hens are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
      I hunt Turkey in Brownwood/goldthwaite area on a real good friend’s land. Not sure how it’s going to be next spring since they had a bad fire this summer. Hopefully it doesn’t affect the birds. Where’s your land that you’re seeing turkey? Keeping feeders for them is a good idea to keep them around in the spring. Bc the gobblers will want to be where the hens are.

Closest town is Realitos. Hebbronville is the closest "large" town Lol

Comment

Closest town is Realitos. Hebbronville is the closest "large" town Lol

Man I love chasing turkeys. It’s fun! Still haven’t shot one with a bow, but I’m sure wanting to. Last year I belly crawled 50 yards through cactus stalking one and ended up shooting him. Picked cactus out of my arms for 3 days but it was well worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
          Man I love chasing turkeys. It’s fun! Still haven’t shot one with a bow, but I’m sure wanting to. Last year I belly crawled 50 yards through cactus stalking one and ended up shooting him. Picked cactus out of my arms for 3 days but it was well worth it!

****it, man! Idk if I'm that mad at 'em. I'll definitely have to give it a go this Spring

Comment

A wild turkey is just fine to eat if you take the time to pick 'em instead of skinning them. My dad used to sit for an hour or more picking any gobbler he got... used a pair of pliers to pick out the pin feathers and such... Mom would bake that sucker and make cornbread dressing with 'em and they were "fittin' ta eat!" Also if you go to the trouble to pick 'em, you can deep fry them whole and they're pretty dang good that way too! When we had our place on the Rio Grande out west, our turkeys were especially tasty because they'd get rolling fat eatin' native pecans in a good wet year... Those years, we always tried to maximize our take 'cause they ate like a store-bought butter-ball! Miss that place for turkey hunting for sure... Killed 40 over the years with my bow!

Comment

****it, man! Idk if I'm that mad at 'em. I'll definitely have to give it a go this Spring

Eat one and you’ll understand!

Comment

And if you hunt them in the spring calling (with or without decoys), instead of sitting over a feeder, the hunt excitement of a hot tom blown up in front of you will keep you coming back for more than any table fare.

Comment

The way I hunt turkeys is: "When I see them I shoot them!" Lost of fun to call them in the spring, but otherwise, they are just another target that provides meat and some primary feathers for my arrows.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    And if you hunt them in the spring calling (with or without decoys), instead of sitting over a feeder, the hunt excitement of a hot tom blown up in front of you will keep you coming back for more than any table fare.
                    Jason, I'd have to agree with this! It is absolutely an Adrenalin rush to call one in inside of 20 yards and get a shot off on it with a bow, especially a recurve!! Absolutely my favorite hunt! ... well maybe except for doing the same thing with elk... works the same way except the "turkey" weighs 800 pounds!!

Comment

That is the exact plan. I've got some mouth calls somewhere that I used to mess with. May have to dig them out and brush up on some hen calls.

Anyone know of a thread regarding turkey hunting "technique/strategy?" All I know for now is hen call and wait for a gobble in response. Someone school this "noob!" My search function is not working. "Internal error"
                      Last edited by BlackHogDown; 10-16-2018, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        Jason, I'd have to agree with this! It is absolutely an Adrenalin rush to call one in inside of 20 yards and get a shot off on it with a bow, especially a recurve!! Absolutely my favorite hunt! ... well maybe except for doing the same thing with elk... works the same way except the "turkey" weighs 800 pounds!!
                        That's exactly what I likened it to. From what I've seen on TV, that is... Never been on an elk hunt but love to watch the hunts where the bull is directly responding to the hunter's calls. Too cool!

Comment

That is the exact plan. I've got some mouth calls somewhere that I used to mess with. May have to dig them out and brush up on some hen calls.

Anyone know of a thread regarding turkey hunting "technique/strategy?" All I know for now is hen call and wait for a gobble in response. Someone school this "noob!"

youtube has a load of information on calling, strategy and actual hunts. Sit back one day and get lost in a youtube turkey huntin' rabbithole. There is some great info out there.

Comment

youtube has a load of information on calling, strategy and actual hunts. Sit back one day and get lost in a youtube turkey huntin' rabbithole. There is some great info out there.
                            I may have to do just that at "work" tomorrow

Comment

I love chasing them in the spring too! Super fun! However, I’m not joining the other belly-crawlers that roam in April! I’ll stay in and on top of my boots.

Comment

Sit back one day and get lost in a youtube turkey huntin' rabbithole.
                                So **** easy to do too!

Comment

Working...
                                X