Gonzales County Rut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonzales County Rut

I hunt in Gonzales county between Smiley/Nixon & Cost off off 1116. Anyone else hunt that area? If so When have you experienced the peak of the rut in most years and do you usually have more success in early or late season.

Gonzales County Rut

I live in Guadalupe co and this morning I passed a doe bedded down in a costal field with three bucks circling her...... I would say she was in for sure

Comment

I'm not too far from you between Stockdale and Sutherland Springs. This past week it has been on.
      Watched a doe jump into the creek with a 10 hot after her Sunday and Monday mid day I jumped a good looking buck that had a doe held up and a young buck hanging around them. I've had the most deer activity on camera since Tuesday of last week that I've had all season so far. All bucks of different calibers. This is the first year I've been able to focus on hunting my home place so I don't really have a trend yet. Haven't killed a deer there yet, I've lived there 4 years now. I've been hunting a piece of property near Floresville and have had best success around thanksgiving week.

Comment

I'm just east of Gonzales and rattled up a heavy horned 7 pointer. Only 3 1/2 year old dear but he came in looking for a fight.

Comment

I used to hunt thanksgiving weekends at a place out there each year. It seemed to always be in the pre-rut stages at that point. So, I would guess the rut is in the first week of December.

If by any chance you hear of 1K-3K acres coming up for lease around there or within an hour from there, please point them my way. I would love to get back to that area. And, am trying to get a bow only lease. Gun rights for quail, dove, ducks (if ponds available), turkey, and predators only.

We have a small group and are extremely management minded hunters (we have let more 140"+ bucks walk due to age than we have shot at our last lease) with an emphasis on helping landowners maintain and protect their properties (mending fences, etc.).

We also were able to take our last lease from license restrictions to MLD through the state with a biologist.

Thanks in advance for any help that you may be.

Good luck with the rest of your season. Hopefully you can shoot your career deer this year.

John

Comment

Working...
          X