Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!!

Okay y'all, I've got a new yellow lab that's still just a pup and hasn't learned much about how things work outside of the backyard. We went out yesterday afternoon for a dove shoot and while letting her warm up and stretch out, she found a porcupine. She only has about 15 quills in the nose, and after I pulled the first one She wants nothing to do with me. I have some lidocaine that expired last December and was wondering if this should be the route I take. I've had several birddogs over the years get ahold of one, but they were all big bullheaded males that you couldn't hurt with a baseball bat, and simply cutting off the ends to deflate the quills and a good tug with some pliers fixed them all right up.This is one of my first female dogs and honestly she doesn't seem to be as resilient as the males I've owned. I'm a pretty self sufficiant guy and I'm trying to avoid a vet bill and even though I've done this many times with other dogs, I'm afraid of ruining this pup.

If a vet is what i have to do Then so be it, just looking for another option.

I’d say vet.

Comment

Vet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Vet

Comment

Take her to the vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Vet but I’d have someone else take her. You don’t want her associating you with any of it but you should be the first one she sees when she gets back to your house with a snack and some positive reinforcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
              Vet but I’d have someone else take her. You don’t want her associating you with any of it but you should be the first one she sees when she gets back to your house with a snack and some positive reinforcement.

This

Comment

Spot on!

Comment

Vet

Comment

We have a winner!

Comment

Vet would be best in my opinion.

Comment

I’ve had 2 find porcupines and had the vet handle both. My dogs didn’t associate the pain with me, but then again I didn’t try to remove them either?

Supposedly you can cut the exposed end of the quill which is supposed to make it easier to remove, but I can’t substantiate that

Comment

Working...
                        X