Worst eating wild game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
    Assuming you are not in a situation where you are starving, why would you want to “unfunk” some nasty meat when there are lots of meats out there that are not funky to start with?????

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Many of my women folk think delicious deer is too gamey...funkyness of game is relative to the pie hole consuming it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
      Always heard that duck was awful. I started hunting them a few years ago with some buddies, and I have to say that duck is some of mine and my wife's favorite wild game. Seared in a cast iron skillet with butter and salt to medium rare. Very delicious. IMO some (definitely not all) of the diver ducks are just as good or better than the puddle ducks.

Almost everyone that doesn’t like it over cooks it.

Most ducks are great to eat

Comment

all meat sucks unless you season and cook it right.

Comment

would have to say woodpecker cooked over open camp fire is the wort tasting meat I have ever tasted. Next would be bluejay, followed by any of the ducks I have ever tried.

Comment

Ringneck duck

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
              Ringneck duck
              One of my favorite ducks to eat

Comment

Coot

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                  Agreed. I hunted em pretty hard for a couple of years, tried various recipes and never found one I liked. The "best" was gumbo, as long as I chopped it into tiny pieces.

I absolutely agree that most things depend on how you cook them, especially the way so many try to cook stuff like beef. Javi is good, dove is in japs and bacon, rabbit and almost all the pigs I have eaten were good, even old ones. BUT I did have one old stinky boar ( about 200lb ) my son shot that was terrible. Stunk and could barely skin him he was so tough. I have killed larger ones that were fine.

Im sure I will upset some, but I dont really like squirrel. Which sucks because I like shooting them.

Geez Mike, you don't like squirrel!!!???! What the hell!!!!

Squirrel isn't my favorite of the small animal variety these days. I think they taste fine but are a little on the greasier side if that makes sense. I'd much prefer kill a medium sized cotton tail for my go to recipes. Long story short, I'm lazy and a good squirrel meal seems to take a little longer. Fried rabbit to me is much better than fried squirrel.

And you bring up a good point about some critters (not the species in general) have a bad taste because they ate something nasty, got into some nasty, had an infection, etc. That just happens, and I think some folks do tend to dismiss the whole herd based on one bad experience.

When I got into hunting, a buddy gave me a few cuts of deer from his freezer to try. We tried and I'll admit, there was something off. I never told him about it and I kept on hunting anyways. When I brought home my first deer, my wife was surprised how good it tasted because she remembered the deer we had tried several months prior.

Comment

Diving Duck

Wild Boar

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      Assuming you are not in a situation where you are starving, why would you want to “unfunk” some nasty meat when there are lots of meats out there that are not funky to start with?????

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      So you don't waste meat.

Comment

Originally posted by castlegaphunter View Post
                        all meat sucks unless you season and cook it right.
                        I disagree. Sure, you could expand the definition of "cooking it right" to mean just about anything if you wanted to.

One can take beef, chicken, pork, etc., apply very minimal seasoning and grill, sear, bake, or whatever. Sure, it might be a little bland, but it doesn't have gamey flavor that's tough to get around. Heck, even over cooked beef isn't that bad. I eat hamburgers well done all the time.

Fish are the same way. Take a flounder or red snapper filet. Dash a little salt, pepper, butter then bake or pan sear. Try the same with a mud cat and let me know which tastes better with minimal effort.

Some meats just naturally taste better and require minimal effort to prepare.

Comment

Working...
                        X