Hernia Surgery Tomorrow???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hernia Surgery Tomorrow???

Tomorrow I am going to be going in to have a hernia surgery and have asked around but haven't found anyone who has had it done before. I just wanted to know around how long the recovery length would be before I might I don't know, sit in a deer stand..... My wife keeps telling me that god is rewarding me with being off of work for so long the Thursday before opening day of gun season. I'm defiantly not complaining on the timing! If anyone has any insight to what I can expect I would greatly appreciate it.

Man, there are all kinds of hernias. . . hiatal, epigastric, umbilical, inguinal etc. If a simple inguinal hernia you will be good to go with almost no down time (i had bilateral inguinal repair in high school). Hopefully no propylene (prolene) mesh is used as this can cause some problems. In short, likely little downtime. Just be careful.

Comment

I had a sports hernia. Well that's what they told me. I couldn't tell, no noticeable buldge. Got the surgery, went home, in the afternoon the pain meds wore off, and I could barely get get off the couch. I kept moving to keep anything from getting too sore, but it was legitimately impossible to get up without help. I was able to work out the following week, but only walking on the treadmill. All said & done, I was back to 100% probably a month later.

Also, your first trip to the bathroom WILL hurt. And it will be about impossible to get up once you sit down.

Fast forward to today, now all the skin around the scar is numb, and it doesn't feel good to touch. When I get dehydrated, I can still feel where they went in on the inside. It never hurts, but just kind of lingering feeling.

Comment

I had it done in 06 I was up and moving in 3 days but they won't let you lift anything over 5lbs you will move slow for awhile my brother had it done today we will see if he hunts with us this weekend ? good luck.

Comment

I had a single inguinal surgery a few years back. I am 31 now, so I would say it was probably 6 years ago. Worst part of recovery for me is the skin being tight for a while. Sitting down on the john was very painful, from the skin stretching I was told. I was off work 6 weeks and going crazy. Doc wanted me out for 8 but I begged and went back to work in 6.

Comment

Oh and forgot to mention they did put some type of mesh in me IIRC

Comment

Also had the surgery. It was a while back, but I remember a few things.

1. Pain post-surgery wasn't bad. Like, surprisingly not-bad. A little tightness, as people have said, and this will get worse if you stay seated/hunched all day. It gets better/easier to manage if you make yourself lay flat and/or stand up frequently.

2. Abdominal strain. This is the silent killer of hernia issues. If you take pain meds that make you constipated, for instance, your life will suck. If you sneeze, life will suck. If you inadvertently flex your abdomen hard...you get the picture.

Recommendation - OTC pain meds or something that doesn't jack with your GI track (like tramadol). Move slow, but move deliberately. You should be able to resume normal activity pretty quickly if you take recovery seriously. But, no lifting heavy stuff for a while.

Comment

Wife just had umbilical hernia repair a month ago. She is recovering well. small incision that is healing nicely. Dr still has her on heavy restrictions for another few weeks...no lifting of anything over 5 lbs

Comment

I had it in 2005, inguinal. It was Sept or Oct. I hunted but you will need to take it easy on the lifting!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks everyone, it is an inguinal hernia according to the dr. I was just trying to get some kind of idea on when I would be able to sit in the stand which i think i could soon but it is sounding like it might be awhile before I could actually shoot a gun.

Comment

I wouldnt be scared shoot a smaller rifle. Climbing a stand or a blind with a small door would be a problem

Comment

don't forget to post pics !

Comment

The other question is how are they repairing it? I just had a left inguinal hernia repair done robotically. Surgery was on a Thursday and I was back at work that monday. But didn't lift anything over 25lbs for about 8 weeks. Be prepared you have swollen testes for a while since the hernia usually involves your spermatic cord.

Comment

Had it done about 2 years ago this coming February. Extereme pain once the pain meds wore off as said above. Took me about a 4 days before I was able to get around on my own actually. I was pretty bad to be honest.

Didn't workout for 4 months or so, but I'm also talking about squatting 400+lbs, etc. I remember I leat it heal before I EVER even thought about getting under that bar again.

Comment

I had inguinal hernia surgery last year. Mesh fix. Pain after wasn't too bad but not fun. They only gave Tylenol 3 which didn't help. It took me about a week to get back on my feet. You could shoot a gun but climbing in and out and sitting upright would suck!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X