Nannie Stringfellow 2017 Bow Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nannie Stringfellow 2017 Bow Hunt

Hey everyone, I just got drawn for the Nannie Stringfellow Bow hunt, 11/27/2017 though 12/1/2017. It's right down the road from where I live but I don't know much about it. Any information or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jake

I live about 5 miles from the refuge, never hunted there but I assume its close to how it is on my property. Pretty low odds of getting within bow range of a shooter and lots and lots of pigs. I've never applied for that hunt but you never know what's going to walk out. Make sure you have an atv, if it's raining it's really muddy.

Comment

Got drawn as well hunted it once before I liked it lots of mud and water saw a decent deer not sure if it was legal but somebody shot a 130+ on a youth hunt a few years back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        I live about 5 miles from the refuge, never hunted there but I assume its close to how it is on my property. Pretty low odds of getting within bow range of a shooter and lots and lots of pigs. I've never applied for that hunt but you never know what's going to walk out. Make sure you have an atv, if it's raining it's really muddy.
        When hunting your land do you hunt from a stand or a blind? And when you say "within bow range" does that mean that they are far away or does it mean that it's so thick in there that it's hard to get a clear shot?

Comment

Originally posted by jakefromtx View Post
          When hunting your land do you hunt from a stand or a blind? And when you say "within bow range" does that mean that they are far away or does it mean that it's so thick in there that it's hard to get a clear shot?
          I plant a food plot and hunt out of a tree stand on the edge of the plot. I couldn't get the deer to eat corn so I started planting. Little different than the refuge though. I would try to find a good trail and sit over it. There are definitely deer around here. Just not easy to get with a bow. I've only killed two since I've owned my property. One with a bow, and I gave in and popped one with the rifle last year.

Comment

I'll second the ATV comment. Dependent on the rain, it will either be muddy or REALLY muddy. If wet, most of the WMA is inaccessible by truck (even 4WD). Thick hardwood bottoms. I did the hog hunt a few years ago. Saw a few deer BUT hogs were everywhere.

The compartments are fairly small (100 acres some a little more, some less). I'd pick a few spots near travel trails and corn up. Very neat place to hunt and the guys running the hunt are good people.

Comment

I've been drawn fof Nannie Stringfellow, Gus Engling and THE CHAPARRAL!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Those are are the exact 3 I put in for and drew a **** in a biscuit, with 10 points!

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                  I've been drawn fof Nannie Stringfellow, Gus Engling and THE CHAPARRAL!

That is crazy how many points did you have if you don't mind me asking ?

Comment

Originally posted by hogman$ View Post
                    That is crazy how many points did you have if you don't mind me asking ?

Only 2. [emoji13]

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
                      Those are are the exact 3 I put in for and drew a **** in a biscuit, with 10 points!
                      Palehorse, I don't know how we got so lucky! Same group as LAWNR. Heck, Im still putting in for Rifle, NWR'S and Mule

Comment

I got drawn for this hunt as well. I've never hunted a public land draw hunt so I'm in for any advice.

Comment

Also, does anyone have any inclination as to whether or not the hunt will be cancelled due to the hurricane?

Comment

I don't know if it's cancelled but there's a lot of water all over down here.

Comment

Squirrel Hunt Nov 18th at Nannie Stringfellow.... any one going "squirrel hunting"?

Comment

Working...
                              X