Where is it leaking from.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is it leaking from.

I wiped it all off the night before and I didnt start it. Checked it today and it has leaked more. Seems like maybe from the filter?? I thought rear main seal at first, and that may still be the case, but the leak start up high for sure.

1997 tahoe

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Might help if you said what it was

Start working your way back from where you are finding the oil

Could be a valve cover gasket

Comment

If that's the oil pan leaking...….
      And, if you've remove it anytime recently...…
      I'd guess you might have overtighten the bolts, and
      possibly messed up the gasket....

Comment

That pic of the bell housing looks like its coming from the rear main. The leak will be in the cleanest place. The oil will be pushed to the back by airflow.

Could also be from the oil pan in the very back. If the last pic is the harmonic balancer, you have something leaking up front also. Maybe multiple leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
          That pic of the bell housing looks like its coming from the rear main. The leak will be in the cleanest place. The oil will be pushed to the back by airflow.

Could also be from the oil pan in the very back. If the last pic is the harmonic balancer, you have something leaking up front also. Maybe multiple leaks.
          I didnt know what that was up front but its leaking there too yes. It appears to me like maybe the entire oil pan has been over tightened.

At the rear near the bell housing its showing oil, but it is below the filter and the filter has a drip on it. Which makes me curious as to if it is leaking there and just dripping down, or if its leaking everywhere as it is moist the entire perimeter of the oil pan. I guess I could drop the pan, replace the gasket, oil filter, and clean up and reassess.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
            If that's the oil pan leaking...….
            And, if you've remove it anytime recently...…
            I'd guess you might have overtighten the bolts, and
            possibly messed up the gasket....
            I just bought it, but I kind of think you may be right here. Moist the entire way around the oil pan.

Comment

I bought a truck last year and I had oil all over the area around the oil filter and it leaked all under the cross member under the engine, and left a pretty big oil spot on the driveway.
              I washed it and got to looking around but couldn't pin point it and then noticed some streaks coming from the area of the rocker arm covers.
              I started checking the bolts and they were almost loose enough to remove with your fingers.
              I tightened them making sure I didn't over tighten, and the leaking stopped.
              No new gaskets, no nothing, just tightened a few bolts on each rocker arm cover and leak fixed.

Comment

Probably leaking from the Filter adaptor gasket between the block and the adaptor. Just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. Common on these engines

Comment

Just put cat litter under it and drive it [emoji6]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                    Just put cat litter under it and drive it [emoji6]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                    You left out monitor oil level.

Comment

It didn't just start leaking.....

Comment

Work from the top down

Maybe oil filter mount, doubt it’s the filter itself
                        If it’s leaking without driving, it’s most likely pan or below
                        Last edited by knapper; 06-28-2019, 08:12 PM.

Comment

I got an 04' Chevy and it has a slow leak like that . . . My mechanic said it is coming from the Valve Covers. Thought is was a main seal too. My buddy has an 03' and his was doing the same. He replaced the gaskets on the valve covers, now no leak. I still haven't did mine, just isn't that much to worry me about. I have to top off the oil level about every other fill up

Comment

That looks like a typical high mileage older Chevrolet. Dry leaky gaskets everywhere.

Comment

I would get it up on a lift and spray it CLEAN, drive it around about 15 minutes,then get it back on the lift with a good light. Trying to chase a leak down from those pics is futile. 3 or 4 cans of cheap spray brake cleaner will remove all the residue and build-up and make it a lot easier to see where the oil is coming from.
                              Also, that round plug in the bottom of the bell housing just snaps in. Pop it out and look up in there to help see rear main area better.

Comment

Working...
                              X