No announcement yet.

Nilgai gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ll be taking my 338 Lapua when I get the chance to whack one. I’m surprised at how little that caliber has been mentioned in this thread.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
      then, i'll say again shoot a good bullet designed to penetrate and you'll be fine. i have a 7mm-08 that i love. Nosler accubonds will punch out both shoulders of most things.

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
      just use a good bullet for pass through since their heart and lungs are pushed farther up in the chest cavity.

nosler accubond, barnes tsx, etc.

caliber can be pretty much anything above a .243.

There’s several in every crowd... A coworker on the King did kill them with a .243 but the man also took less then 75yds shots. That being said he sure didn’t recommend hunters to try it.

Originally posted by Texas89 View Post
      I know on the King. The guide will more than likely hand you a .35 whelen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a .30-06(all I had), Two guys used a .300WBY, several had 7mm Mags and one loved his Safari deluxe Model 70 .375H&H

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
      .30-.378 with 180 grain Barnes TSX is bad medicine for nilgai. Probably don't want to build one too light. Any .300 magnum will work with a good bullet; however, my next one will succumb to a .416.

The finger of God, guided too doctors that had matching weatherbys in .30-378 and nothing was safe inside 550yds with those guys.

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
      Any caliber that will effectively kill a whitetail will kill a Nilgai.
      I'd use a 7mm-08 or a .25-06.
      A heavier bullet or more energy isn't going to put one down that's hit in the muscle.
      Very tight and low on a broadside shot. Slightly quartering away is ideal, more so you don't have to blow up the delicious shoulder with a well placed broadside shot.

Muscle isn’t what we’re worried about, it’s the thick bone behind that muscle. Like has been said, anchoring the bull where he won’t run into something you can’t drag him out of short of a dozer making a path for you is key. And if you hit them with one well made bullet that will break the shoulder blade and take out the heart and lungs it’ll save said meat.

Originally posted by RLUM View Post
      There is a huge difference in the ways those two bullets will react when shot out of those two different rifles. I have never shot a Nilgai but I have shot a few big animals in Africa. when I am hunting Big tough animals I want big holes and as much possibility for and exit as possible. Yes shot placement is key to any kill but are you willing to pass on a shot just because the bull is not standing perfect broadside at 100 yards or do you want a proven BIG GAME cartridge that can cleanly take BIG GAME animal when you fudge a shot or the animal is in a not so desirable position. All the comments about taking them with any cartridge that will take a deer are correct (mostly), I for one am not willing to chance it. If you want to step up to the big leagues and hunt big animals use the correct cartridge/bullet combination and get after it.

Y’all need to read this post and take notes

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
      I’ll be taking my 338 Lapua when I get the chance to whack one. I’m surprised at how little that caliber has been mentioned in this thread.

Sierracharlie out…

They were used but I didn’t see many come thru. My top picks:

.375H&H 300gr
      .30-378
      .300WSM
      .30-06

One the .300, 338 and .30-06 I’d use the 180gr, it’ll shoot flat enough out too 250yds if you change your sighting in from 100 yds to zero at 200. It’ll be a little high at hundred but not much for hunting.

Comment

28 nosler

Comment

I built a .338-06 ai for just such an occasion!

Comment

Working...
          X