Need tips on hunting East TX.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need tips on hunting East TX.

This will only be my second time to ever deer hunt in this part of the state. We don't have any feeders set up. I have identified one particular route that seems to get regular traffic. It's by a creek where the thickets open up into a clearing. There's a scattering of pines with large oak and pecan being the predominant trees. Oh, and there's also a pond beside the creek in the opening. The evidence of Indian artifacts tells me this must've been a popular spot way back then as well.

I can't decide if a portable tree stand would be best or something else.

That "regular traffic" is the poachers....

Comment

I'm a fan of lock-ons and tripods in east Texas. Deer love white oak acorns, and they use the creeks as travel ways. Good luck

Comment

Follow the creek. Find the crossings. Then, if you have cameras, set them up and see what is crossing where. I have found over the years, does will cross certain places and bucks cross at other locations. Then I would put either a climber or lock on within bow range, keeping the dominant wind in mind. Try to pick a spot that has cover for you, but yet, not have to do a lot of trimming for shooting lanes, little as possible.

Comment

Sounds like you have a good spot by the creek where it opens up. Ive hunted East Tx all of my life.. I feed 4-6 months out of the year but get the best results from hand tossed corn during the season. You will appreciate the noise cover if the creek is flowing. Your spot is a lot similar to mine. Id post up high with my back to the creek and hand toss some corn in the opening. Its always fun to watch the deer cross to creek to get to the corn

Comment

Anywhere in the thicket near the water should be a really good spot

Comment

In East Tx it's perfectly acceptable to utilize "kin tags".

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                In East Tx it's perfectly acceptable to utilize "kin tags".
                Lol

Comment

Don't get discouraged during the season, and try not to be disappointed at the end of season

Comment

Serious post.... the rut is your friend when hunting East Tx. Without starting a "when the East Tx rut peaks" thread, I recommend you hunt as long as possible and as often as possible from the opener (4th this year) to the 13th.

Comment

edit... I can't give away all my secrets

Hand corn is your friend.
                      Last edited by AntlerCollector; 09-05-2017, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Sit real still, be very quite and wait.

Comment

Rule s

1 kill all hogs
                          2 corn corn corn
                          3 spend lots of time in the stand(this is a proven fact)
                          4 be flexible, hunt where the sign is
                          5 keep killing hogs

Comment

Buy you a tree climber and get with it.
                            That's the best way to hunt East Texas.....my opinion.

Good luck!!!

Comment

In East Texas you'll need a spot light and a 12 pack

Comment

Working...
                              X