Time to change the law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
    I agree 100%. I posted a thread about it a couple years ago. I hunt Hardin County. There was a time for the law, but that time has long passed. The old deer dogs are all dead, and a lot of the guys who hunted with them are too.
    Not all of them, we got some guy's from Louisiana on our place that still want's to run them but they don't have dogs anymore. I'm only 53 and killed a few deer in front of dogs as a kid but they weren't my dogs but others running them where they weren't allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      Not gonna happen. I was once on board with it, but no longer.

I could see it being done in the confines of a lease, but, stopping at the boundaries. SETx property owners are pretty touchy when it comes to their land. Lot of them hunt their own property and will be very upset if a tracker and his dog trespasses on their property. Can you spell fiasco?
      Why are you trying to throw trespassing in with tracking a wounded deer?

Most folks agree that tracking a wounded deer with a dog is a good thing
      The same 99% agree that trespassing is a bad thing

I can't track a wounded deer across my property line without permission so why should the fact I am using a dog be any different?

If I have a dog then I am going to use the dog. If I come to a property line I do not have permission to cross then I stop. If I get permission then I continue.
      At that point I have given my best effort to recover something I shot

Comment

Call the GW out to the lease. When he gets there ask him to help you track the deer because by law you aren't allowed to use your tracking Dog. Offer the GW a cold glass of Ice tea as ya'll sit back and watch your dog go to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
          Call the GW out to the lease. When he gets there ask him to help you track the deer because by law you aren't allowed to use your tracking Dog. Offer the GW a cold glass of Ice tea as ya'll sit back and watch your dog go to work.
          Or... go buy a burner phone so you can call in to operation game thief and tell them you are witnessing a severe game violation on the other side of the county.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
            Or... go buy a burner phone so you can call in to operation game thief and tell them you are witnessing a severe game violation on the other side of the county.
            Plan B

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
              Buff, you didn't get on the Hayter lease did you? That is the only place I know of that would be high fenced with that many acres in Nacogdoches county.
              Yes I did.
              Seems to be a great place and only 2 hours from my house

Comment

Good ole east Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

I can't track a wounded deer across my property line without permission so why should the fact I am using a dog be any different?

If I have a dog then I am going to use the dog. If I come to a property line I do not have permission to cross then I stop. If I get permission then I continue.
                  Just the way he is

Most trackers don't want their dogs crossing property lines at all and will do whatever the can to make sure that doesn't happen. Sometimes the dogs do cross property lines and the handlers will do whatever they can to get ahold of landowners to get permission to retrieve their dog or permission to continue the track. Last thing I want is my dog going somewhere we don't have permission to be.

Comment

I think what he was referring to was that an owner of a tracking dog can not guarantee that their dog will never cross a property line that they do not have permission to be on. When a dog gets on an animal they are dead set on what they are doing and obviously they don't know that crossing a fence is getting on to someone else's property.

Comment

She's not a tracking dog is she? I thought she was your service hunting dog cause your scared to go to the blind in the dark by yourself!![emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                        I think what he was referring to was that an owner of a tracking dog can not guarantee that their dog will never cross a property line that they do not have permission to be on. When a dog gets on an animal they are dead set on what they are doing and obviously they don't know that crossing a fence is getting on to someone else's property.
                        Yep. It is def a chore to control a high strung tracking dog when they are on an animal. As much as a handler wants to keep there where they are supposed to be stuff happens. A well trained deer dog has one thing on their mind and that's finding that deer.

Comment

Time to change law. I live in Newton County and the amount of people who still have deer hounds are slim to none. 20 years ago was a problem but not now.Also I don’t see a problem baiting deer in public land in East Texas hand corn only of course!

Comment

I think its time to change it also. Honestly, if the fear about this is people trespassing with their dogs, then running hog dogs should be outlawed also. Trespassing is trespassing with or without dogs.

Comment

While they're at it they could change the law that prevents me from picking up the deer I hit with my truck every couple years.

Comment

I agree with you.

Comment

Working...
                                X