7mm-08 Barrel Specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7mm-08 Barrel Specs

I am building my wife a 7mm-08 using a Remington 700 action as the base. I will be putting a barrel on it, but am not sure about the ideal length and twist. I will probably go with either a 22 or 24 inch barrel. If the 24 provides a great enough in crease in performance, I have no trouble with that but not sure? I have no idea on twist rate. I am wanting ideally a medium to medium/heavy final rifle weight, and this gun will be used to kill hogs and deer from 50 to 300 yds. Any info/recommendations are appreciated.

I'm getting a 7-08 from APR. I went with a 22" barrel and they recommended a 1:9 twist.

Comment

Originally posted by kc5rkg View Post
      I'm getting a 7-08 from APR. I went with a 22" barrel and they recommended a 1:9 twist.
      Seems like a solid answer to me!

Comment

I have had a 18.5 inch barreled 7mm-08 since 1982, it with the factory 9 1/4 twist barrel still shoots very well. I have owned others and if building one for my hunting would go with 20 or 21 inches in a 1:9 twist barrel I think. The 1:9 twist barrel will easily handle bullets 120 through 162gr Hornady EDL-X

Comment

on a 7-08 you get a little boost from a 20" to 22" barrel but not much, past 22" you will see very little increase. Agree with 1:9 twist.

Comment

Originally posted by kc5rkg View Post
            Me too, but I went 20" with 1:9 twist. I was told no need to go more than 22" because you wouldn't be gaining much, if any advantage. So I kept it shorter to keep lighter weight and easier to maneuver around. 1:9 twist should get me up to heavier bullets too if I choose. ~140gr+

Comment

The 7mm-08 doesn't have the powder capacity to drive at effective speeds any bullet heavier than will be stabilized with a 1:9" twist. I'd say no longer than 22" because you wont' get much gain from it and no shorter than needed to make it balance well.

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                The 7mm-08 doesn't have the powder capacity to drive at effective speeds any bullet heavier than will be stabilized with a 1:9" twist. I'd say no longer than 22" because you wont' get much gain from it and no shorter than needed to make it balance well.

I wanted to argue this but according to Berger 1:9 yields decent stability with 180g VLD and great with anything lighter so I say you are spot on

Comment

7-08

Following!
                  Im looking to build a 7-08 Ackley Imp. Will a 24" barrel require a 1:8" twist or do fine with a 1:9"?

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcanman View Post
                    Following!
                    Im looking to build a 7-08 Ackley Imp. Will a 24" barrel require a 1:8" twist or do fine with a 1:9"?
                    1:9 you will be fine with

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcanman View Post
                      Following!
                      Like said above 1:9 twist will be good for you with the 7mm-08 AI. Know someone that took a factory Tikka in 7mm-08 and did a semi custom with the factory 1:9 barrel cut to 17 inches chambered to the AI version and runs a can on it. That rifle routinely gets shot out it 800 yards using reloads with Hornady 162gr bullets

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                        Like said above 1:9 twist will be good for you with the 7mm-08 AI. Know someone that took a factory Tikka in 7mm-08 and did a semi custom with the factory 1:9 barrel cut to 17 inches chambered to the AI version and runs a can on it. That rifle routinely gets shot out it 800 yards using reloads with Hornady 162gr bullets
                        Having a -08 built by his buddy...Thinking very seriously abut the AI version based on his performances out of the Tikka....

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                          Thanks, that's what I wanted to know! I want something thatll reach out 800-1000 and shoot the heavier bullets, 150's-160's.

Comment

Working...
                          X