Converting a garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting a garage

I am just in the planning stages but I plan on converting the garage into a mud room and a laundry room.

What things do I need to think about?

I know I need to raise the garage floor. I plan on putting down wood floors.

Would it be better to pour concrete?
    Or put down a wood subfloor since I need wood to nail down the wood floors? and just put a concrete footer where the garage door is.

I need to remove sheetrock and add some insulation.
    Add a few outlets.
    Move the water heater and convert to an instant(plumber will do that)

What else do I need to plan for?

Either take out the conc. apron/flatwork leading into the garage or build a planter box along that side of the exterior. That way it doesn't look as much like a remodel.

Make sure it isn't a post-tension slab before you start cutting it. If it is you'll have to leave it and a brick planter or something so there isn't that "driveway" running up to the exterior wall.

Is you breaker box in the garage? Might need to be relocated, or just put on the exterior of the wall it is on, or figure a way to deal with it in your new room.
    Last edited by Philip-TX; 04-25-2016, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Why do you need to raise the floor? My house was on pier and beam and the garage was on slab, so we had to raise it 14". We converted a 2 car into laundry/mud, bedroom and bathroom.

Depending on how far you need to raise your floor, Id use pressure treated sleepers nailed to the concrete (using a ramset), then use 2x? to raise your floor. Add some 3/4 or 1" tongue and groove OSB as the subfloor and you will have a nice floor to nail the wood floors to.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
        Either take out the conc. apron/flatwork leading into the garage or build a planter box along that side of the exterior. That way it doesn't look as much like a remodel.

Make sure it isn't a post-tension slab before you start cutting it. If it is you'll have to leave it and a brick planter or something so there isn't that "driveway" running up to the exterior wall.

Is you breaker box in the garage? Might need to be relocated, or just put on the exterior of the wall it is on, or figure a way to deal with it in your new room.
        Breaker box is on the outside of the garage.

The house is hardie so I will go with that.

I like the planter to break up the wall idea.

Comment

If it was my house I would make it easy to convert it back to a garage in case I ever want,need to sell it

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
            If it was my house I would make it easy to convert it back to a garage in case I ever want,need to sell it
            Building a 1000sqft shop/garage.

Plus a carport.

Comment

X2 on this

Comment

you can always add on a garage

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                  you can always add on a garage
                  Which is what i am doing.

If we ever sell, the new owners will have a 1000sq ft garage to park in. Plus a carport to park under.

I'm not too worried about closing in the attached garage

Comment

I think i am pouring a concrete footer where the garage door is.

And building up the floor with treated wood. Any tips on what to use to seal the concrete floor?

Comment

Just put down plastic and treated wood over it.

Comment

Just some late info, any chance the garage floor "sweats"? That could be a problem down the road. Many homes did not have a plastic vapor barrier put down under the garage area, why I have no idea?

We used to run across this issue constantly when I worked for Quikrete as folks were looking for a sealer to stop the moisture from percolating through the concrete.

If you do have that issue, be aware of the future moisture issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          Just some late info, any chance the garage floor "sweats"? That could be a problem down the road. Many homes did not have a plastic vapor barrier put down under the garage area, why I have no idea?

We used to run across this issue constantly when I worked for Quikrete as folks were looking for a sealer to stop the moisture from percolating through the concrete.

If you do have that issue, be aware of the future moisture issues.

If that is an issue, what is a solution?

Comment

What do you plan to do about HVAC?

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                              What do you plan to do about HVAC?
                              Split unit until it's time to redo my AC(couple years)

Adding an addition. So we will be getting a whole new unit in the next couple of years

Comment

Working...
                              X