Comment

Great pictures.
      Good luck.

Comment

Jealous

Comment

Awesome pics! Good luck

Comment

days 3-7,wolves,game and strange find ..
            I Was glassing for bucks in days before season. I caught soem movement on a snowbank some distance (1/2 mile) away.
            I must point out I am a naturalist who keenly knows the difference in coyotes and wolves. I had just been around a friend who had a well trained pet wolf. It ran in a smooth long stride, fast, smooth, gait much like a miniature Thoroughbred horse. coyotes have a sort of bobbing gait.
            And of course the body color with pronounced streaks of black on a light grey or buff backgorund in contrast to the sandy tan or a yote. Their feet and most telling. Coyotes ad a foot that is much more naarrow and oval in shape. Typically 2" wide and 3" long. In contrast an adult wolf is 4" wide and similar in length.
            So you can imagine my surprise when I watched an adult female wolf run around in big circles in the snow then flop down for three pups to nurse. There was two other adults hanging about near by. It was to far fo ra photo but I hiked straight away around the mnt range to desend into the top as it was too steep to reach snow bank from below for photos. they were no no doubt wolf tracks. Most interestingly I found another wolf track in a dry bit of clay 5 miles away. Again both of these locations were nto with acess of a trail but rather required long difficult climbs to get two Locations. The sighting was in the Buffalo peaks wilderness.I will lnt speulate as to how they got here.
            Elk- not much to report except Monday I glassd a big bull elk laying up near timberline a mile away and 1500 fit above where I was hunting.Other than the big summer herd i Had found preseason I was having little luck elk hunting. So the next morning I found a bull in the next drainage top just near to the drainage top he was the night before. It was father away but I watched him rub his horn in the dirt and trash a brush so I know it was a bull. when about 8 am he appeared to bed down I was off. it was a long tough climb only to realize as I galled the situation 300 yds away abouve timberline that in order to avoid being seen or smelled that I needed to approach from directly above. So another big circle nd tip toe down to where I thought he was. No elk. I stated walking down slowly and saw just an elk topline in a gully grazing 70 yds below. I got into about 40 yds .everything was right cover the wind moist ground. But He wasnt the big wide 6pt I had seen the night before. Just a young 4 pt. And had it been closer to the trail and my car I would have shot him. because for elk I was hunting for meat. for mule deer I wanted big horns. But no bucks with decent headgear so far. Bulls are not bulging at all and its 32 or so at night and 55 to 70 in afternoon. I think it may be sept 10 or so before elk get going with their rut. I may take my buffalo horn and wolf sightings as my colo 17 trophies and move on to my elk hunt with my horses in the Gila Unit 16b NM where I have another bow tag this year. Who know I may get lucky tonight.
            Attached Files

Comment

Well did you pack it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

yea and and I was loading the truck up up I saw three bucks about 500 yds away. I went after them when I thought they bedded. Could not find them in the willows however. Rested and filled up the tank at home today .. Off to with a friend and the horses,to Gila wilderness New mexico next week..Link to more photos is below...
                /davidkadensadventures.shutterfly.com/pictures/906
                Last edited by dave kaden; 09-02-2017, 07:39 PM.

Comment

a few last pics and I stayed at westonpasshut.com ,highest reantal property in colo and very reasonable $30 per night

Comment

a few last pics. On to Gila elk now
                    Attached Files

Comment

this cow trotted out of a basin over the top and into my lap
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice Pics!

Comment

i like

Comment

Working...
                          X