243 *** Bullet / Ammo Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

243 *** Bullet / Ammo Recommendations

Looking for some advice / feedback please. I recently bought both my 8 and 9 year old kiddos a Savage 243 each. Both rifles are the Axis II XP Youth models with the accu-trigger. Neither one has shot a "big" rifle yet.

My question is in regards to the Bullet / Ammo combination. What are some of the better bullets for deer. I know, "shot placement" ---- Can you shoot a deer square in the shoulder, or, take a high shoulder shot with a 243, OR, does the placement really need to be lungs / heart ? ***** ALL shots from my kiddos should be in the 50 yard range and in if that matters.

Well, I've been trying to read a bunch online and everyone has a favorite. Who here has positive / negative feedback on specific ammo.

Currently, i have the Remington Core-Lokt, 100 gr., Winchester Ballistic Tip, 95 gr (?), Hornady American Whitetail 100 gr, and just bought some of the Hornady Custom Lite 87gr. I am also aware, "shoot what the gun likes", still looking for opinions though.

I have had good luck in other calibers with the Barnes TTSX, but, no experience with the 80gr in this caliber. I also see some "Superferformance" from Hornady.

And........... The wife bought me a reloading kit for Christmas and i just bought a 243 die set.

So ? Options / opinions please ? Thanks !

About 40grns of IMR 4350 behind a 100grn Sierra Game King will cure what ails you.

Comment

I switched my son from the 100 gr Core-lokt to the Winchester Ballistic Tip, 95 gr and had better success.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
        About 40grns of IMR 4350 behind a 100grn Sierra Game King will cure what ails you.
        The Sierra 85g BTHP are proven killers as well, I load both

Comment

Barnes bullets. never use a berger in a 243 has a couple deer need a couple rounds to kill and a knife to finish one.

Barnes really makes the caliber gun jump up some in killing ability imo just jump down a few grains from lead based bullets as copper bullets are longer then lead

Comment

I reload for my 243. 100 grain Sierra pro hunter over IMR4359. Shoots good and does the trick. EVERY TIME.

Comment

That 80gr Barnes is very deadly in the .243 that's what I shoot and had great luck with them Also look into Federal fusion.

Comment

My Mohawk 600 in 243 cal. really likes the Remington SP corelok 80 grain. Never had any problems knocking down deer.

Comment

Some people aren't a fan of them but good ol 100gr rem corelok have been good to me. Dropped a ton of deer with them shooting high in the shoulder. I have also killed several big axis with them as well. I shoot everything with a high shoulder shot and unless I miss they all drop right there.

Comment

I have had very good accuracy and deer/hog knock down power with the Federal Fusion 95gr.

Comment

I use 100gn hornady whitetails...got a large hog and a med hog this week..no complaints at all.

Comment

100 gr Core lock for my 243. 6 animals shot, 100 yards total tracking. And 60 of those were on a ~200lb boar that I shot high and a little back.
                        I feel any decent pill over 80 gr works wonders in that caliber. And since you now reload, you can find exactly what each rifle likes. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                          Dropped a ton of deer with them shooting high in the shoulder. I shoot everything with a high shoulder shot and unless I miss they all drop right there.
                          ^^^ thanks for this. the shoulder / high shoulder shot was one of my questions. what kind of yardage are these on average ?

Comment

I'd have them shoot through both shoulders

Comment

I don't reload but factory ammo Federal Premium 100gr Sierra Gameking BTSP have been unbelievably good to me out of the .243 for the last 20 years.

They have become very difficult for me to find locally and 2 weeks ago I bought a box of Hornady American Whitetail 100gr. They flew very well for me and I watched 2 pigs and a 7yr old 12 point drop in their tracks last weekend out of that gun so I'm officially a fan.

We had a newbie with us riding around in the middle of the day just looking to lay down a javi to break him in and out walked the 12. Only had a few seconds to react and the 243 was handy so it was used. 12 point never took a step, I was impressed.

Comment

Working...
                              X