Help aging jaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help aging jaw

My son shot a cull this weekend and I was just curious about what you guys/gals think about his age based on tooth wear? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I would call it 6.5.
    Even though the 4th tooth is not completely dished out, it is close enough to me, combined with the wear to the lingual crests on tooth 4, 5, and 6 to call it 6.5

Comment

Comment

4 or 5

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
          I would call it 6.5.
          Even though the 4th tooth is not completely dished out, it is close enough to me, combined with the wear to the lingual crests on tooth 4, 5, and 6 to call it 6.5
          Originally posted by mccarter View Post
          Originally posted by brokeno View Post
          4 or 5
          Wow I would have never guessed 5.5-6.5. I honestly thought he was a 3.5 to 4.5 year old based on body size and characteristics. I hunt a small place in Burnet county and think I've been under aging some of the bucks based on looks. Very few of them every really look mature and some have looked exactly the same for the last 4 years. Thanks for the insight!

Comment

I call it 6.5 as well. Not all deer wear their teeth the same, just like humans.

Comment

Comment

4.5 for sure....possibly 5.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

So I would say 6+

Comment

5.5-9.5 pick one.

Comment

For future reference, include a photo that looks straight down on the teeth. The tooth wear method is based on the manner in which wear alters the appearance of the dentine and surrounding enamel more than the height of the ridges, although they do go hand-in-hand. The relationship of the width of the dentine (dark stuff) compared to the surrounding enamel (white stuff) makes age determination more objective (that is, everyone should arrive at the same age because personal judgement is reduced), whereas the height or sharpness of ridges (from a horizontal view) remains subjective.

Since we can't see the dentine very well on teeth #5 and #6, I would call the deer 5 years old, even though tooth #4 is nearly completely dished out (which, if so, would meet criteria for 6 years).

However, no need to split hairs. It's safe to say that the buck was of an age to be at or near peak antler development. Bucks peak at ages 6-7 yrs based on tooth wear. If all the bucks a property kills, including culls, have at least 1 completely dished molar, you can't do any better.

Comment

Text book age 6.5.... real age.. unknown.

Comment

4/5

Comment

Working...
                            X