Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-27-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Florence, Doss, Fredericksburg
Default American Airlines: DO NOT USE

My goodness. Please, if you fly, dont ever use American. My goodness. Story to come when I have an extra 10 minutes to write it up. Lost a day of vacation because of them.
COACH_EM_UP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
daniel044
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sonora, TX

Have had the same experience with them, last time I used them is I had a bunch of miles to use up. That will be the last time I use them.
daniel044 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 07:59 AM   #3
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

Minimal sample size, admittedly, but I have never had a good experience flying AA
BlackHogDown is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
ACbob
Six Point

Hunt In: Sabinal & Victoria Cnty

My wife, her wheelchair bound father, and her mother were told to wait for Tuesday (3 days) for the next flight home after American cancelled a flight. Didn't offer any excuses, rooming, or anything else. Just hang out in the airport for a few days! Never again.
ACbob is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #5
tkusak
Spike

Hunt In: Christine, TX & Edna, TX

Agreed don't use them at all cost.
tkusak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
tx_basser
Six Point

Hunt In: Any place Public

Unfortunately flying out of DFW we have limited carrier/connection offerings. I used to travel all the time for work, and luckily now is for vacation.

Not trying to defend them, but if you travel allot you get used to the disruptions, cancellations, re-routings, luggage, waiting, etc due to the number of trips you take. Wife goes off the deep end when a disruption happens because she only flies once every couple of years. I just shrug it off and try and get the next flight or other arrangements made.
tx_basser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 08:46 AM   #7
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbob View Post
My wife, her wheelchair bound father, and her mother were told to wait for Tuesday (3 days) for the next flight home after American cancelled a flight. Didn't offer any excuses, rooming, or anything else. Just hang out in the airport for a few days! Never again.
TWICE, I have experienced a similar scenario. Coincidentally, both times were in Atlanta. Spent the night in the terminal both times. Luckily, it was only until the next day.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:49 AM   #8
Clay C
Ten Point

In for the story. They all suck to some extent or another.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #9
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

All airlines suck lol
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 08:53 AM   #10
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

I've had issues with all major domestic airlines. If you are flying domestically out of an international airport, you always lose right of way to the international flights. Just the way it is with all carriers.

In for the story!
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #11
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

I really dislike Delta, United, and American. I don't fly anymore unless I absolutely have to, but when I was averaging 2000 miles per week my favorite was Southwest.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 09:03 AM   #12
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Without the story I’ve been there and lost a day of PTO to United in an international flight snafu. I think it happens on every carrier bruh
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 09:14 AM   #13
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Good friend of ours lost 2 days of a 10 day European vacation last month because of AA.
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 09:17 AM   #14
Hooverfb
Ten Point

I was embarrassed to be on their airlines when I flew with them to China the first time. They treated people like absolute crap for a 14+ hr flight. Wasn't just the crew cause it was the same way heading back! Flew United after that.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #15
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastxhunter View Post
Without the story Ive been there and lost a day of PTO to United in an international flight snafu. I think it happens on every carrier bruh
Yeah. United tried to screw me big time once. Luckily it affected everyone on that flight, so they back stepped and tried to reconcile. Did they offer a discounted flight? A rental car to get me to my destination? A heart felt apology? Nope. A 7 dollar gift card is what I got for my troubles.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #16
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

I’ve always had good experiences with them. Sounds like I’m the odd man out
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #17
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
Yeah. United tried to screw me big time once. Luckily it affected everyone on that flight, so they back stepped and tried to reconcile. Did they offer a discounted flight? A rental car to get me to my destination? A heart felt apology? Nope. A 7 dollar gift card is what I got for my troubles.
Lol - I was burnt so I put together a well articulated professional - esque complaint novel email and they gave me $100 dollar flight voucher. It is what it is I suppose
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 09:35 AM   #18
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
In for the story. They all suck to some extent or another.
Agree
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 09:49 AM   #19
tx_basser
Six Point

Hunt In: Any place Public

American also has the ugliest/fattest flight attendants.
tx_basser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #20
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

^ Lol my buddy is marrying one in November
Old 06-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #21
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie, Kimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHogDown View Post
^ Lol my buddy is marrying one in November
Does she fit said description?
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #22
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods101 View Post
She's the kind flight attendant you hope for. Lets just say that in case of emergency, her chest can be used as a flotation device...
Old 06-27-2019, 10:07 AM   #23
CEO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods101 View Post
I'd put up with some extra side meat for discount flights any day.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #24
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Can I say Delta!!
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #25
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

I’ve always had really good luck with them but in for the story

Most of the flight attendants ive had on my American flights are the opposite of the above description
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #26
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

"Side meat!"
Old 06-27-2019, 10:22 AM   #27
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point

We were supposed to fly out of Bergstrom at 6:05 for a connecting flight in Dallas, to head to Nassau and arrive today at 4:00 pm. On the way to the airport, my wife is checking to make sure that everything is on time. She got an email at MIDNIGHT saying the flight had been cancelled. They automatically rebook the flight for 7 PM tonight, which we didnt want to do. We were going to drive to Dallas to make our connecting flight so we didnt lose a day of vacation. So,apparently,since we didnt want to lose a whole day of vacation and use the automatic rebooking flight, they bumped us off of our connecting flight and would not out us back on it when we told them we would drive to Dallas. So now, we are leaving at 6:18 today and have to spend the night in Dallas for our connecting flight to Nassau tomorrow. The customer service lady, and I use that term lightly, tells me that they will pay for the hotel. But magically they cant print the voucher because the system wont let them. Imagine that! They tell me that I can get a voucher in Dallas when I land. I tell her that I am not leaving without the hotel voucher for the flight that they cancelled. She responds with "I didnt cancel your flight". I told her "Yeah, but your company did and you are not doing anything to make it right". Her response is "Sir, I need you to leave so I can get these other people to their flight". So they dont care about my family anymore and just want to move on to the next person. The "manager" says she will see to it that I get the hotel voucher once I deplane in Dallas. She says "Just trust me". I tell her that I am missing one whole day of vacation because they cancelled the flight and it had nothing to do with the weather. Our hotel in the Bahamas is not refundable, so we paid for a day that we wont be able to use. Not to mention, they tell us that they cannot refund or do anything at the counter and that we have to do all.of that online. Pretty sure it is all going to be swept under the rug and we wont get any compensation for losing a complete day of vacation.

I am going to blast American Airlines on every social media that I have. It is not so much me that is disappointed, but my kids and wife are terribly upset. They have been looking forward to this for so long and my wife has spent her money on vacation and that is what ****** me off. And no explanation as to why the **** flight was cancelled in the first place. I am getting heated just typing this up.

#NEVERUSEAMERICAN
Old 06-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #28
Farmdog
Ten Point

I was amazed how bad they were over all last time I flew to Dallas to see grandkids, but I don’t fly much. I would say avoid them
Farmdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 10:59 AM   #29
Russ79
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches county, San Augustine county, Beaufort county NC

Since someone else brought it up let me relate my experience last week with them and how I have become a new member of the "I Hate American Airlines" club. I got word that my aunt in North Carolina had passed so I made arrangements to fly out of Shreveport to Raleigh/Durham. Of course I had to change planes in DFW- the trip out there went without a hitch. The trip back on the 17th went like this...flight from RDU to DFW no problem. Once I landed I called the wife and had to take the phone off airplane mode. While talking to her my phone starts dinging- getting emails. Was notified that my flight to Shreveport had been cancelled so I went to a gate and had someone look up another flight that day because AA decided that booking me on a flight the next morning was acceptable. The lady at the counter said another was leaving in about an hour but best we could do was put me on stand by- told her to go ahead on that one but she also said they do have a flight going to Longview. That puts me closer to home in Nacogdoches but doesn't do anything about the fact that my truck is in the airport parking lot in Shreveport. Anyway, make my gate where I am on stand by and see that I am #10 of the 24 on stand by. Not much hope there and then they announce that they are over booked and need four volunteers to take a later flight. Crap! Head over to another counter to see if I can make the flight to Longview and my wife can come get me and take me to Shreveport to get my truck. The guy at the counter asked if I would still like to go to Shreveport....of course I do. So he found another flight going to Shreveport for a little later that day that he was able to get me on. So I have several questions...why wasn't someone at the gate where the original flight was scheduled to leave and help us find other arrangements...and when the girl put me on stand by on the second flight why didn't she see other flights that same day to Shreveport to put me on? So instead of getting home around 2 I got home after 8, but I did make it home. And while sitting at the various gates I was at I found many others that were having the same problem. Needless to say I will fly out of Houston from now on and not with American.
Russ79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #30
yotethumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

At least they didn't lose a rifle in the airport...... American did that to me in Atlanta.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #31
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

You might as well add all the airlines to your list.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 12:01 PM   #32
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Send this to corporate Hdqrs and send it registered mail with a little threat about the next letter will be from my lawyer and see what that does. They all suck and none of them care!

I would be ****** also!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 12:06 PM   #33
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

I guess I have had fairly good luck with AA. I do fly standby a lot so understand the frustration of canceled flights. With weather, oversold flights, and grounded planes I would not want to work for an airline.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #34
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilbert View Post
You might as well add all the airlines to your list.
.and YES, I fly a lot!
My wife and I have labeled airlines the GREYHOUND service in the sky. We try to fly only 1st class or Business Class and keep our Club Memberhips current......food, showers and lots of drinks!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #35
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

One piece of advice. TRIP INSURANCE. No airline will care about how much money you spent on hotel or safari or whatever else you are not able to get a refund.

Living in DFW and avoiding AA is not an option (at least not a practical one).
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 12:23 PM   #36
The Crippler
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Ive always had good experiences with them. Sounds like Im the odd man out
We don't really have much of a choice out here...
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #37
N.DaWoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

American Airlines is the worst. My wife and I had 2 very similar situations to yours with them but will not have a 3rd. We will never use them again!
Terrible. They overbook and then shuffle or cancel they have horrible customer service, planes, and policies.
N.DaWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 12:28 PM   #38
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
One piece of advice. TRIP INSURANCE. No airline will care about how much money you spent on hotel or safari or whatever else you are not able to get a refund.

Living in DFW and avoiding AA is not an option (at least not a practical one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler View Post
We don't really have much of a choice out here...
We are in the same boat with UNITED in Houston area. Continental personnel and culture did not stand a chance after the buyout.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #39
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

flight may have been cancelled due to the plane being a Max 8. I had a flight out of Austin set for the 8th of July. They rebooked me to a much later flight because the Max 8 was still grounded. I canceled and booked on Jet Blue.
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 12:35 PM   #40
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

I would say it’s a fact that all airlines suck in some way or another. Best I have used by far is Alaska Airlines but they’re obviously only in certain airports. If I’m not flying where I can use Alaska I’ll try to book united but they have gone down hill.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #41
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladner View Post
flight may have been cancelled due to the plane being a Max 8. I had a flight out of Austin set for the 8th of July. They rebooked me to a much later flight because the Max 8 was still grounded. I canceled and booked on Jet Blue.
If that is the case, they should not have waited until midnight to cancel the flight that was supposed to leave at 6:05. And they should offer some sort of compensation. Surely they would have known what type of plane it was 6 hours before the flight. I understand the cancellation, but not 6 hours before the flight and surely not without some type of compensation. If I cancel my flight 6 hours before the flight, they dont refund me the cost of the flight. Double standard and complete BS.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:56 PM   #42
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
If that is the case, they should not have waited until midnight to cancel the flight that was supposed to leave at 6:05. And they should offer some sort of compensation. Surely they would have known what type of plane it was 6 hours before the flight. I understand the cancellation, but not 6 hours before the flight and surely not without some type of compensation. If I cancel my flight 6 hours before the flight, they dont refund me the cost of the flight. Double standard and complete BS.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...e&from=footer?
Have you ever read what you actually agree to when buying a ticket. Kinda scary, they don't have to do squat, and most times won't.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:06 PM   #43
Hunter Dan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

It is a necessary evil living in Dallas, but I have status with them and have learned how to work the system pretty good.
Hunter Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 04:12 PM   #44
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post

We are in the same boat with UNITED in Houston area. Continental personnel and culture did not stand a chance after the buyout.
That's for sure.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #45
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...e&from=footer?
Have you ever read what you actually agree to when buying a ticket. Kinda scary, they don't have to do squat, and most times won't.
I’ve always had great experience with their customer service. Any time I’m delayed I send an email and get extra points, we were delayed getting to our honeymoon a couple years ago due to a hurricane and they put us up in a nice hotel in Miami and made sure we got out the next morning. If people are rude to customer service they aren’t going to help you, it isn’t their fault the plane had an issue so when your polite then them they seem to be very willing to help in my experience

That said I do avoid going through ATL on American at all costs, seem to be a black hole!
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #46
KyleW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gordon TX

Unfortunately all of them do it. I had a flight to Puerto Rico get cancelled with Southwest and they didn’t even email. I found out by checking the flight status by myself.
KyleW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #47
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I’ve always had great experience with their customer service. Any time I’m delayed I send an email and get extra points, we were delayed getting to our honeymoon a couple years ago due to a hurricane and they put us up in a nice hotel in Miami and made sure we got out the next morning. If people are rude to customer service they aren’t going to help you, it isn’t their fault the plane had an issue so when your polite then them they seem to be very willing to help in my experience

That said I do avoid going through ATL on American at all costs, seem to be a black hole!
I have good luck as well, but they don't have to do anything unless they remove you from a flight. If you are rude, they seem to go in reverse on what they will do. Best one was when I was traveling out of Honolulu. Plane was oversold, they gave us $1400 travel voucher(700 each) a hotel, taxi voucher to and from the airport, and dinner voucher at the hotel. Next afternoon we show up, oversold. They gave us $600 travel voucher($300 each) more to take a later flight that connected thru LA.

Flying standby I see a lot of mad or angry people at those counters. I wouldn't want their job.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:43 PM   #48
nchunter
Six Point

I wish you told me earlier Im on my 4 th flight with American this week and leaving Saturday.
Ive tried them all, they all suck. I fly 75k per year with just American, but if youre not elite, good luck getting any employees to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nchunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 04:44 PM   #49
nchunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_basser View Post
American also has the ugliest/fattest flight attendants.

I prefer the terms dumpy and crabby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nchunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 04:54 PM   #50
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paisano View Post
I really dislike Delta, United, and American. I don't fly anymore unless I absolutely have to, but when I was averaging 2000 miles per week my favorite was SOUTHWEST.
Only airline wifey and I use is Southwest. Last time we flew anything else was Lufthansa, headed overseas.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top