Traditional FSC Week 33

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional FSC Week 33

All this discussion of Old Farts elk hunting has had me looking at all manner of information on the topic, and in The Elk Thread on here near the current end (about page 102) there is a video showing a frontal shot on an elk, with discussion and analysis of where, how big, etc. Apparently, a few inches above the color change of fur on the chest of an elk there is a 9-inch opening to the vitals. Not necessarily advising anyone to take this shot on an actual elk, but let's see if we can hit a 9-inch paper plate from 13 yards. Easy, right? Now, recall that as sportsmen we have varied interests and today is the last day of the PGA Championship -- the year's final major golf tournament. So, our target plate will have a centered 4-1/4" circle (the size of a golf hole) and a 1-3/4" circle centered inside of that (approximate size of a golf ball).

Challenge is to shoot 3 arrows from 13 yards (kids, 8 yds.) at the center of the smallest circle (can shoot and pull one at a time if you want so as to avoid damage). Most arrows in the "hole" (the 4-1/4" circle) wins next week's call. For a tie-breaker: most in the smaller circle. Just in case, go ahead and measure closest single arrow to center of circle. Remember, it was renowned golf teacher -- and Texan -- Harvey Pennick who advised the likes of Tom Kite and Ben Crenshaw to "Take Dead Aim!" Works for archers, as well!

Have fun!

Will add pic shortly.
    Last edited by tradtiger; 08-12-2018, 09:22 AM.

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
    All this discussion of Old Farts elk hunting has had me looking at all manner of information on the topic, and in The Elk Thread on here near the current end (about page 102) there is a video showing a frontal shot on an elk, with discussion and analysis of where, how big, etc. Apparently, a few inches above the color change of fur on the chest of an elk there is a 9-inch opening to the vitals. Not necessarily advising anyone to take this shot on an actual elk, but let's see if we can hit a 9-inch paper plate from 13 yards. Easy, right? Now, recall that as sportsmen we have varied interests and today is the last day of the PGA Championship -- the year's final major golf tournament. So, our target plate will have a centered 4-1/4" circle (the size of a golf hole) and a 1-3/4" circle centered inside of that (approximate size of a golf ball).

Challenge is to shoot 3 arrows from 13 yards (kids, 8 yds.) at the center of the smallest circle (can shoot and pull one at a time if you want so as to avoid damage). Most arrows in the "hole" (the 4-1/4" circle) wins next week's call. For a tie-breaker: most in the smaller circle. Just in case, go ahead and measure closest single arrow to center of circle. Remember, it was renowned golf teacher -- and Texan -- Harvey Pennick who advised the likes of Tom Kite and Ben Crenshaw to "Take Dead Aim!" Works for archers, as well!

Have fun!

Will add pic shortly.
    Target:

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tradtiger; 08-12-2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

I'll start. Slipped out between storms and got three in the hole (4-1/4" circle). Only one in the small circle; it's 3/8" from dead center. Happy for first shot to be the best one.

Comment

I'll start. Slipped out between storms and got three in the hole (4-1/4" circle). Only one in the small circle; it's 3/8" from dead center. Happy for first shot to be the best one.
        Pics:

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Dead elk, Ellis!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks, Jerry! Feeling pretty good about 13-yard shots!

Comment

Thanks, Jerry! Feeling pretty good about 13-yard shots!

Every feeder on my place is 13yds from where my chair sits on the ground!!!! But I still throw hand corn even closer!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Closer the better!!

Comment

Wanna see some shots at this, y'all. Plenty of room. Only one in the small ring, so far.

Talking 13 yards! Choot em.
                  Last edited by tradtiger; 08-13-2018, 08:19 PM.

Comment

When the swamp drains . . .

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      When the swamp drains . . .

I wore my Bean shoes, just put on some rubber boots and choot it!

Comment

I realize you fellas with indoor jobs think it's fun to play in the mud but I got over that a long time ago in the water department.

Comment

Okay, so drain the swamp and shoot when you can. It'll be great either way!! Good luck!

Comment

I'm not going to complain. We needed the rain badly. It's early in the week so I can get this done. If needed I can shoot it in through the house, the back door, across the patio. I have a small Rhinehart pyramid target I travel with I can tack it on push come to shove.

Comment

Confession time. I shot this the other day and was too embarrassed to post it. It was bad. Too bad. Horrible, even.

Comment

Working...
                              X