Wyoming Pronghorn live hunt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wyoming Pronghorn live hunt!

Today is opening day and I'm settled in over a well used water hole. Tons of Pronghorn in the area. I'm hoping to pick out a big one but I've never even seen one up close so not sure I can tell the difference. Here is my view for the day.
    Attached Files

In, good luck!

Comment

Smoke one!

Comment

good luck!!
        I am sure you have researched it but I found this useful when I went on my hunt years back. Forget where I stole it.

Horn Length: In terms of horn length, keep in mind that the ears of a pronghorn antelope buck are usually up to six inches in length. Using them to help judge horn length on an antelope buck, look for an antelope that measures 14 inches or better in this department. And don't forget to include the amount of horn length that curls and hooks over the top when making an in-the-field estimate for a buck's horn length.

Mass: When it comes to mass measurements, keep in mind most trophy antelope bucks have base mass measurements somewhere in the range of six inches or better. How can you accurately judge this measurement while glassing? Use the diameter of an antelope's eyeball, which is approximately two inches, in making mass measurement guesses in the field.

Prong Length: Finally, when field judging an antelope buck's prong length, don't forget a trophy buck will typically possess a prong length of six to seven inches. How can you guess that measurement properly when looking at an antelope buck through a pair of binoculars or through a spotting scope? By looking for prongs extending at least three inches from the front edge of the horn. And to help you do that, consider once again either the length of a buck's ear or his eyeball diameter as field aids in determining such measurements.

Comment

million times better than MY view today!

good luck!

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebow88 View Post
                good luck!!
                I am sure you have researched it but I found this useful when I went on my hunt years back. Forget where I stole it.

Horn Length: In terms of horn length, keep in mind that the ears of a pronghorn antelope buck are usually up to six inches in length. Using them to help judge horn length on an antelope buck, look for an antelope that measures 14 inches or better in this department. And don't forget to include the amount of horn length that curls and hooks over the top when making an in-the-field estimate for a buck's horn length.

Mass: When it comes to mass measurements, keep in mind most trophy antelope bucks have base mass measurements somewhere in the range of six inches or better. How can you accurately judge this measurement while glassing? Use the diameter of an antelope's eyeball, which is approximately two inches, in making mass measurement guesses in the field.

Prong Length: Finally, when field judging an antelope buck's prong length, don't forget a trophy buck will typically possess a prong length of six to seven inches. How can you guess that measurement properly when looking at an antelope buck through a pair of binoculars or through a spotting scope? By looking for prongs extending at least three inches from the front edge of the horn. And to help you do that, consider once again either the length of a buck's ear or his eyeball diameter as field aids in determining such measurements.
                This is how all the pronghorn gurus do it. One thing to also take into consideration when using the eyes and ears though is body size. A younger buck all alone with no does or other mature bucks around will fool you. A younger buck will be sized about like a doe with 4-5” ears and an eye diameter of 1.5” giving the impression he is bigger than what he really is. Good luck and keep us updated!

Comment

First action of the day. The cows showed up. Reminds me of my My hill country hunts. I can always count on the Angus!

Comment

How far is it to the waterhole?

Comment

Originally posted by DuckDogTrainer View Post
                      First action of the day. The cows showed up. Reminds me of my My hill country hunts. I can always count on the Angus!
                      I am going to go out on a limb here and say they probably taste better too...

Comment

In, hope to see blood soon!

Comment

Good luck. Start my hunt on Monday. Douglas, WY. Not sure will have phone signal for live hunt.

Trailboss

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Aggiebow88 makes some good points on judging Pronghorn Antelope. If you are not used to judging them, it can be difficult to know a decent buck from a really good one.

One thing I would add is something we talk about a lot up here and that is flat weight versus round weight. For example, you may have a buck that is really tall, say 16 inches and has good cutters but only scores in the low 70's because he is flat. Flat meaning that he does not have the mass, or if you look at his bases, they are fairly thin from front of his head to the back. On the other hand, you may have a buck that is only 14 inches tall and has decent cutters but not great, and if he has what we call round weight, he may score 80-81. Round weight means instead of the bases being thin, they have more round or mass to them and this means a lot more with regards to scoring.

A few years ago I kept passing up a buck that did not have much length to him but was pretty heavy with round weight. He just did not look that good to me because like most people, the length is what appeals to most people hunting Pronghorns. Well, a guy I know took him on the last day and he ended up scoring 81 which is a very nice goat.

You have to look at a lot of them to really get a feel for how a pronghorn will score, if that is what is important to you. Like I said, most people like the look of a taller goat with good cutters but at the end of the day it is personal preference as to what you like.

Good luck to you! What part of Wyoming are you hunting?

Comment

Working...
                              X