Redhawk 454 barrel length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redhawk 454 barrel length

My plan/dream is to ‘retire’ in Montana next year. I think I’ll keep busy consulting with high tech there. I’m in the lottery to bowhunt elk in September.

My son sees grizzlies and tracks, I know of 2 guys have come into the local ER ripped up by griz, and his mechanic shot a sow in self defense a couple years ago.

I’ve shot the 5” Redhawk 454. Not a fun gun with bear loads, but it puts 6 high KE rounds downrange. Has anybody shot the 5” and the 2.5” Alaskan for comparison? The Alaskan would be smaller to carry, hopefully faster to draw in a crisis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will loose a lot of velocity in the 2.5 barrel as compared t o the 5, probably in the neighborhood of 3-500 fps. You will have to decide if it is worth it to you. The 2.5 inch barrel will more than likely have considerably less energy than basic 44 mag out of a 6 inch gun

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
      You will loose a lot of velocity in the 2.5 barrel as compared t o the 5, probably in the neighborhood of 3-500 fps. You will have to decide if it is worth it to you. The 2.5 inch barrel will more than likely have considerably less energy than basic 44 mag out of a 6 inch gun

I don’t think you’ll see that much velocity loss. Between my 7.5” Super Redhawk and my 20” lever action there was only about 300fps difference.

But in a 2.5” barrel I’m betting the fireball will be quite impressive. [emoji16]

IMO Bill you will be handicapping the round a bit so if you can I’d stay with the 5”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        I don’t think you’ll see that much velocity loss. Between my 7.5” Super Redhawk and my 20” lever action there was only about 300fps difference.

But in a 2.5” barrel I’m betting the fireball will be quite impressive. [emoji16]

IMO Bill you will be handicapping the round a bit so if you can I’d stay with the 5”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You need to chrono some short barrel mags, they loose a tremendous amount of velocity when going from 6 or 5to 2.5. Even a 40 s and w loaded to full power will drop 175 fps from a 5 inch gun to a 3 inch gun and the magnums have considerably more velocity loss. The reason you only gain the 300 fps from the pistol to the rifle is that the 7.5 barrel is long enough to get some powder burned. If you don't believe me look at ballistics by the inch, they don't have 454, but when you look at the high end 44 mag and 357 loads it is not hard to see the correlation

Comment

I'd stick the 5" for velocity and recoil reasons.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SRHAlaskan454.htm

No one would consider Jeff a small man either.

Last edited by WhiplashTX; 03-27-2018, 08:00 AM. Reason: fixed pic link

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
            I'd stick the 5" for velocity and recoil reasons.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SRHAlaskan454.htm

No one would consider Jeff a small man either.

I’d go longer. It’s not a concealed carry gun.
            Last edited by TacticalCowboy; 03-27-2018, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Go longer. If you aren't sitting around a longer barrel isnt that big of a deal, especially if it isn't meant to be highly concealed.

Comment

I have the 5-shot Bisley SBH in 454. 6.5” barrel. The grip allows the gun to roll in your hands and takes out quite a bit of the backward slap to the recoil. It is no heavier and no more cumbersome to carry than a 44mag but it packs significantly more punch.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                  I have the 5-shot Bisley SBH in 454. 6.5” barrel. The grip allows the gun to roll in your hands and takes out quite a bit of the backward slap to the recoil. It is no heavier and no more cumbersome to carry than a 44mag but it packs significantly more punch.
                  I have the same gun, and it's the one I would carry if going into grizzly country. Even though its single action I can get aimed repeat shots off as fast as you can with a double action. Many years of shooting big single actions (got my first .44 mag SBH in 1971) have taught me to recock as I'm bringing the gun down out of recoil. I also have a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 so I've been able to compare repeat shots between the two of them.

The absolute shortest I would go with would be 5". You will be able to get it into action just as fast as the 2 1/2" barrel.
                  Last edited by Phillip Fields; 03-27-2018, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Great inputs, thanks. I pray I never have to use it in self- defense. My son says griz come in 2 sizes: VW bug and VW bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                      Great inputs, thanks. I pray I never have to use it in self- defense. My son says griz come in 2 sizes: VW bug and VW bus.

The only one I've had a run-in with (20 yards eyeball-to-eyeball) was roughly the size of a VW bus and the only thing I was armed with was a longbow.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                        The only one I've had a run-in with (20 yards eyeball-to-eyeball) was roughly the size of a VW bus and the only thing I was armed with was a longbow.

I obviously turned out OK. Did it finally turn and walk away? No cub? I’ve heard that’s the combination that’s dangerous. A moose and her calf as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                          I obviously turned out OK. Did it finally turn and walk away? No cub? I’ve heard that’s the combination that’s dangerous. A moose and her calf as well.

Bill, If you want to read the story it post number 112 on this thread.

Comment

I had a 5 inch 44mag redhawk that was a handful but wasn't bad. They also just put out a 45 colt redhawk that you could use with Buffalo Bore ammo that should work.

Comment

If I’m going to buy a 44mag or 45 Colt, I might as well go for the 454 Casul.

Comment

Working...
                              X