What is the best subsonic caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best subsonic caliber

I am wanting a gun to shoot subsonic only. I reload and shoot 300 AAC out of an AR but really don’t like the at because of not cycling every round and hanging up. So going with a bolt action, my question is what give the best performance. I’m not looking to shoot big game but varmints like coons, Fox, coyotes and maybe pig. But also like to have a range of 30-100 yards

I've had very good luck with my .308. 16.5" 1-10 rock creek barrel on a trued up 700 action shoots 175 match kings very well to 100 yards and I kill around 50 deer a year with it on the golf course here in La Grange head shooting at 50 yards. Load I use is 10.1 grains of trailboss, Lapua brass, cci primers and a 175 match king .010 off lands with .003 neck tention. Hope this helps. Also shoots supersonic loads well and makes a nice, compact all around gun.
    Last edited by kck; 01-25-2018, 06:39 AM.

Comment

We use an AR 300 BO subsonic with a suppressor to fill MLD tags with shots from 20-100 yards. It cycles every time.

Comment

If I was going subsonic I would go .458 socom.

I have a .308 with a 1-10 and it shoots 168gr subsonics sub MOA to 100yds.

Since with subsonics you are limited to 1050 fps more or less, shape of the bullet matters very little and the only way to get more energy is a heavier bullet.

The .458 socom allows 500gr bullets at this speed which is 2x what the .300blk/acc will do.

Comment

I like the .300BO with either 220 or 240 grain bullets. I have a Rem bolt gun with a 1 in 8 twist 16 inch barrel. It shoots very well. I also bought a cheap PSA upper thinking it may work in semi-auto. It runs very well. It also runs flawlessly on my M16 in full auto mode. You might want to tweak your upper. There's no reason for it not to work.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
            I like the .300BO with either 220 or 240 grain bullets. I have a Rem bolt gun with a 1 in 8 twist 16 inch barrel. It shoots very well. I also bought a cheap PSA upper thinking it may work in semi-auto. It runs very well. It also runs flawlessly on my M16 in full auto mode. You might want to tweak your upper. There's no reason for it not to work.
            What could I tweek on my upper to try and fix this.

Comment

Originally posted by Wil Taylor View Post
              On my blackout I changed out the buffer and spring, gas tube and BCG

Comment

Originally posted by Wil Taylor View Post
                Adjustable gas block will fix most things.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                  If I was going subsonic I would go .458 socom.

I have a .308 with a 1-10 and it shoots 168gr subsonics sub MOA to 100yds.

Since with subsonics you are limited to 1050 fps more or less, shape of the bullet matters very little and the only way to get more energy is a heavier bullet.

The .458 socom allows 500gr bullets at this speed which is 2x what the .300blk/acc will do.
                  Pretty much what he said with the exception of bullets. You want to transfer the energy if possible and they do make bullets specifically designed to expand at subsonic velocities or barring those pick something with a big meplat. Going to the biggest caliber you can will make a bigger wound even if you don't get expansion. My can is still in jail but I loaded up my 45-70 with some soft cast 405's and it was hell on coons. Throw most of this out the window if your only going to be making headshots, then all you need is accuracy.

If you don't want to handload your choices are going to be mostly the 300 or 458. Since you handload there isn't really any off the shelf bolt actions that fit the bill except the Ruger in .450 bushmaster that you can get 360gr bullets for. Used Mausers and Enfields conversions aren't too hard to find in 45-70 and if you got really lucky the 458x1.5" was designed for this. You could also have a custom bolt action made in any caliber including the aforementioned .458 socom. If you went to a single shot break action pick any caliber you want because it will be available. Another option you might want to consider is one of the big bore PCP airguns and you wouldn't even need a can. Again, if you only plan on making head shots I'd just get an adjustable gas block for your current 300 ACC and fix the cycling issues.

Comment

Adjustable gas block should fix your issues as stated. Have no issues cycling 300 BO subs out of our cheapo AR suppressed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

As stated the gas issue is a relatively easy fix. The 300BO is probably the easiest to shoot sub out of especially without buying or trading for a new gun

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                        As stated the gas issue is a relatively easy fix. The 300BO is probably the easiest to shoot sub out of especially without buying or trading for a new gun
                        And a new suppressor in most cases.

That being said 500gr of 458 socom can ethically take a medium sized animal at 25-50 yds subsonic (1k energy).

With energy in the ~400ft/lbs (less than half), I wouldn't shoot anything bigger than a coyote with the 300BO subsonic.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                          And a new suppressor in most cases.

That being said 500gr of 458 socom can ethically take a medium sized animal at 25-50 yds subsonic (1k energy).

With energy in the ~400ft/lbs (less than half), I wouldn't shoot anything bigger than a coyote with the 300BO subsonic.
                          It will work with headshots. It has about the energy, and diameter of a 9mm. I have killed many pigs with subsonic .308 round (.300BO envelope).

It will work but there is no margin for any error including range estimation.

Comment

Just placed an order for .308 subsonic rounds. I ordered the Atomic expanding 260 grain rounds from Midway. I'll be shooting in a Ruger American Predator. Glad i have the ATN digital scope so i can save my subsonic profile separate from my primary round. I'll plan to zero in at ~75 yards which is the distance of my hog feeder.

Also will be nice to have the one click zero option at nearly $2/round! curious if anyone has feedback on these. thanks,

Comment

cycling subs in an AR15 without changing much is pretty much the main selling point of the .300 blackout. As others have said, you should be able to correct it with an adjustable gas block or maybe play with buffer/spring weight.

Comment

Working...
                              X