20 Ton hydraulic mini press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20 Ton hydraulic mini press

Has anyone on here built a mini press? I am about to start the process this week. It will be for blacksmithing use. It will be 26” total height with 10” between the uprights. Here are my plans that I drew up on PowerPoint.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3329.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	25134472

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be alot stronger if you did away with the square tubing and use the 4" I beam for everything.

Take and box in the top, middle and bottom pieces. By that I mean weld 3/16" or 1/4" plate on both sides of the I beam. Doing this will add alot of stiffness/spine to it.

Does the middle be adjust/moveable or is it stationary/welded in place?

Comment

The middle will travel with the ram travel. I know I beam for everything would make it stronger but I’m sure this set up with double 2” square tubing for the top and middle with 1/4” plate welded on both sides of each will handle 20tons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Following
        Please do a follow along thread so we can see, this is on my list of stuff to build

Comment

I would build it like most all 20 ton presses are built, and use channel iron as my table.

Comment

I've been reading on presses a bit lately. You'll have several challenges with a small press, best I can tell. First and foremost, you've got to plan for ram speed. Your tonnage won't come into play if you only get 2 squishes per heat. Second, as the others said, you've got to plan for strength.

I haven't been able to find a good version of a benchtop forging press. While it seems like it must be theoretically possible, there have to be reasons nobody's building one.

Comment

Working...
            X