Gonna try my hand at it again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna try my hand at it again

About 12 years ago, I found myself at Archery Country to do a little shooting. While I was in there, I saw a guy shooting a recurve. I though, man, that's a good looking bow. So, I got to talking to one of the guys that worked there (it's all changed there now...for the better) and before you knew it, I was walking out of there with a used Bob Lee takedown recurve. It was in perfect condition and absolutely beautiful. I practiced and practiced and then practiced some more. I was a natural with that thing......until I got in the field. I missed more animals with that dang thing and I soon got so frustrated, I picked my compound back up and was quickly back in the "game". I wish I hadn't of sold that bow but, I did.

So, now that I am on the look out for a traditional bow again, I have a couple of questions.

What are the pros and cons of a takedown vs a one piece?
    What are the main differences between the long bow and the recurve besides the obvious look?

my limited opinions...
    takedowns are great, if you travel...otherwise it is just added cost to a bow.

my recurve/longbow experience tells me longbows are quieter, but recurves seem to be a little more "forgiving" with shooter technique...probably due to the shelf being cut to closer to center.
    You'll have several real "experts" with their answers...I'd listen to them, very closely.

Comment

Laguna, you said pretty much the hole thing in a nut shell ,except with a take down you can buy different # limbs if you would like

Comment

it's real simple............Longbows are for girls......recurves are for boys
        Longbows tend to be lighter and quiter but a little harder to shoot. Recurves are smoother faster and easier to shoot. get a take down if you can you never know when you may get a chance to jump on a plane and they are much easier to travel with. JMO............... Losthawg.....your turn

Comment

So when you shoot your recurve you are Buff and when you shoot your longbow you are Buffy???

Just curious since you have both, and go both ways...

Back to the original question...I agree with the above, recurve is a little easier and more forgiving. I have a couple (read 5 or 6) one piece bows, but much perfer the take downs as I like to travel and hunt.

If it is important why this is true (no matter what Losthawg says) we can go into that.

Comment

Working...
          X