Katy area Guided Goose Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katy area Guided Goose Hunt

I'd love to take my dad and brother on a guided goose hunt around the Katy area for my dads birthday. I am looking to spend around 300 for the hunt as my total budget is around 500 (will be coming down from Dallas and staying the night somewhere).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good guide in this price range?

Thanks

Not sure of the prices but there is Max out guide services. I think most guides are about 200 per a gun

Comment

Your best bet is to find an outfitter in Arkansas to hunt during the conservation season. Prices are about the same, goose hunting is way better. We hunt with Northern Skies out of Jonesboro. Also, $300 for the hunt is a little low.

Comment

I would recommend Scott Clary at Coastal Prairie Outdoors. You more than likely won’t hunt in Katy as the flight paths have changed over the years, but will be within 30-45 minutes of Katy. Depends on where birds are located. He has thousands of acres to hunt wherever the birds are. Also you may want to up your budget a little or leave your brother at home. Most hunts are $175-$200 a person.

Comment

I see your avatar says you live in North Texas....if that's the case go hunt in Lubbock. The goose hunting is crap in katy. Used to be really good back in the 80's but you can drive the back roads all day around katy, eagle lake, Garwood, elcampo and maybe see a couple groups of birds. 100000000x's better in the panhandle.

Comment

No recommendations but goose hunting can be good around Houston too. And they fly sideways.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
              I see your avatar says you live in North Texas....if that's the case go hunt in Lubbock. The goose hunting is crap in katy. Used to be really good back in the 80's but you can drive the back roads all day around katy, eagle lake, Garwood, elcampo and maybe see a couple groups of birds. 100000000x's better in the panhandle.
              There are a ton of birds down here. The numbers are still here, just the flight path has changed due to the Colorado River Authority holding water from the rice farmers. Rice farming has changed, and the birds changed routes along with it. Still plenty t be had.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                I would recommend Scott Clary at Coastal Prairie Outdoors. You more than likely won’t hunt in Katy as the flight paths have changed over the years, but will be within 30-45 minutes of Katy. Depends on where birds are located. He has thousands of acres to hunt wherever the birds are. Also you may want to up your budget a little or leave your brother at home. Most hunts are $175-$200 a person.

Ive hunted several times with them. They are a legit operation. My son and I hunted with a different outfitter last year that was offering cheap father/son hunts, and they were clearly learning as they went. Two worst hunts I’ve ever been on. Don’t get caught up in a cheaper price. Go with an established outfitter even if you have to bump your budget a little bit.

Comment

Like has been mentioned go west to the panhandle or to Arkansas. More birds and less pressure make for better hunts. We still have birds down here ,but nothing like the past. We struggle to get 300 ,000 now. When we used to winter a million +. Lots , I mean lots of pressure on birds here. We kill'm still, but your chances are better closer to you.
                  Good Luck wherever you go!

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                    I was screwed by this bunch once and will never ever hunt with them again. PM me if you want details.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                      I was screwed by this bunch once and will never ever hunt with them again. PM me if you want details.

We weren't really screwed, but we left the club with a bad taste in our mouths after or second season.

Comment

No geese around Katy anymore. Just houses now. No rice fields for them. You have to go more west now unless you find some isolated place.

Comment

Thanks for all the info, I think I am going to up my budget a little and expand my search to Arkansas as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Char96 View Post
                            Thanks for all the info, I think I am going to up my budget a little and expand my search to Arkansas as well!
                            There are more than plenty around here, unfortunately....

I’m not sure what exactly caused it, but we’ve had a noticeable increase in goose numbers since the late 90s. When the Texas coast rice and rivers starting drying out around that time, they all started coming here. I hate the geese and I think they almost have to be affecting our duck numbers/hunting.

I don’t mind chasing specs, but man the snow geese here are truly a nuisance.

Comment

DU spent assloads of money in Arkansas and really stopped a lot of our birds from coming down until everything freezes and they can't get to it. Mild winters and we are screwed. Not to mention the LCRA screwing up getting water for the rice.

Comment

Working...
                              X