2018 Alamo Precision Rifles TBH Special Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 150class View Post
    Had to do a little maneuvering on shipping to a ffl. Since I’m new to the Bellaire area here in Houston I had to find a shop. Found one with 22 Five star reviews so picked them and filled out the requested transfer request form online since I didn’t get ahold of them over the phone to just send it via email. Told APR to ship it there.

Ended up trying to call them again with no luck and decided to swing by since it’s on the way home and it was only 445 and they closed at 6:00. Showed up to a locked door with magazines (assuming mail) stacking up on the porch and another call yielded no results so I’m not even sure they are still in business anymore. I’m heading to the Guad river this weekend so found another ffl in that area and a few calls later with apr and the rifle is inbound to that shop instead.

Thanks again for the quick adjustments by Garrett at APR
    Hopefully make it down there to snag it by Friday evening!
    Glad you got that straightened out. Could have been bad!

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
      I haven't gotten a call yet but hoping the one they posted today on their facebook page is mine. It's mine or someone else choose the exact same options.

6.5 Creedmoor
      24" MullerWorks APR 1-8 w/ Ratchet fluting
      Threaded 5/8x24 w/ Thread protector
      Curtis Custom Axiom
      APR BDL
      TriggerTech Primary Trigger
      GRAYBOE Terrain Painted APR Coyote Ambush
      Barreled Action Cerakote Midnight Bronze

Great taste looks exactly like mine in .22 Creedmoor..

Comment

Originally posted by jmhartt View Post
        For all the guys who paired their rifles with the Leupold HD 6, is the glass that much better than the 5? Worth the price difference? Looking to scope a 300 win man myself and can't make up my mind
        Buy the VX5 HD and with money saved, invest in quality rings (ARC M10) and premium barrel cleaning supplies: Lucas bore guide, coated cleaning rod (Dewey, Tipton, Pro-shot) , quality solvents & brushes

Worst thing you can do is neglect or improperly clean your $3000 investment.

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
          Great taste looks exactly like mine in .22 Creedmoor..
          So now there are 3 that look like this. Lots of people with good taste around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
            Buy the VX5 HD and with money saved, invest in quality rings (ARC M10) and premium barrel cleaning supplies: Lucas bore guide, coated cleaning rod (Dewey, Tipton, Pro-shot) , quality solvents & brushes

Blake, what would be your break in method?

Also I’m floating between the Zeiss V4 and the VX5.... any rec’s?

Will look into the ARC M10 rings

Comment

Just help me make my decision, thanks CB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will second the ARC ring suggestion from CB. Good stuff for sure. Not stepping on your scope question to CB, but we have been getting asked the same question a bunch with these builds and this might be a good place to put it out there for everyone.

First and most important, identify exactly what you want the scope to do. Sounds stupid simple and obvious, but it can trip you up down the road. I can tell you that most of the accuracy issues we see are with glass not holding zero or not tracking properly/returning to zero. If you're a set it and forget it kind of guy, you have tons of great options. Many lightweight solid options as well. If you want to dial, do your research or the chances of being disappointed are real. Also, don't buy on brand alone. There are super stars and duds in almost all manufacturers line-ups. One "brand" may have models sourced from 3 different countries and varying levels of quality throughout - but they all have the same name on the tube. Which makes the brand game dicey at times if choosing a new model based on past reputation/experience with a brand.

There are several very popular high end brands known for great glass that many buyers feel comfortable buying because they have been considered "the best" for years. And they do indeed have "great glass". Problem is, they don't track well at all. The set and forget guys praise them, and rightfully so as they are spectacular in that application. The guys trying to dial with them come back frustrated and often angry that they "spent that much on a scope" and it is not working out. I have observed errors in these "alpha" scopes in excess of 6%.

I'm not throwing brands out there, because it is easy to find tracking reviews on specific models, and the market is constantly changing. Leupold is a great example(oops, I mentioned a brand), as their current offerings seem to be improving in the tracking department. Something that could not be said a short time back. I have been thoroughly impressed with the 5s and 6s I've handled lately. On the flip side, we have been running some chinese made stuff that is feature-rich and tracks like its on rails. Further proof that things are constantly changing, even the places we expect to find "good glass". It's worth looking up a few reviews and actual tracking tests before dropping $$.

Personally, the things I look for in a scope that I plan on dialing are listed in order of importance:
                1. Good Tracking/ Return to zero
                2. Enough travel to cover the intended distance
                3. Usable Reticle for the intended purpose
                4. Zero Stop
                5. Glass quality
                6. Weight for intended purpose
                7. Price

Items 1-3 are non-negotiable to me. Without them you are not going to realize the potential of your rifle. #4 is just as important to me, but may not be to you. Glass quality for me is WAY down the list, as most anything that meets the first 4 requirements will have more than good enough glass to clearly see the target and make the shot at about any distance. Bird watcher quality glass is nice, I have plenty of it. But it doesn't make me or the rig any more accurate. Price is the last consideration,only because the market has changed so much over the last several years that you can actually find examples of scopes that meet this criteria in several price brackets starting well under $1k.

These are nothing more than my personal opinions based on my own experiences and working with a bunch of customers to either get setup or diagnose accuracy issues. Everybody has different requirements, expectations and experiences when it comes to glass.

-Robert
                Alamo Precision Rifles

Comment

Excellent write up Robert!

Comment

Originally posted by AD88 View Post
                    Just helped me make my decision, thanks CB

Comment

Ask 10 people in the industry and you'll get 10 responses how to break-in or properly clean your new barrel. My advice, call the manufacturer and follow their directions. Custom match-grade barrels are already hand lapped to perfection. The older I get, the less likely I want to clean every shot for 10, 15, 25 shots. I usually follow the Speedy method for new barrels. If at the range, I will clean the barrel every 8-10 shots fired; old habit from benchrest shooting.

http://www.benchrest.com/sgybreakin.htm

Originally posted by AD88 View Post
                      Just help me make my decision, thanks CB
                      you will be very pleased with the VX5HD

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                      I will second the ARC ring suggestion from CB. Good stuff for sure. Not stepping on your scope question to CB, but we have been getting asked the same question a bunch with these builds and this might be a good place to put it out there for everyone.
                      Thx Roberto and no problem about my toes

Lots of great rings/bases out there, as I like the fit, function, and cosmetic appearance of the ARC stuff.

IMHO, owners of new rifles need to ask themselves this question …. what purpose is my new rifle going to serve ? Deer hunting out to 450 yds will not need a 5.5-25x56mm tactical long range scope. A well built, quality glass 4-12x40 or 3-15x50mm scope will suffice for most deer hunting.

Higher magnification is great if hunting out West or at LR targets. Just make sure you realize that scope mirage gets real bad as your power level increases. You may not be able to see the target or cross-hairs at 950+ yds with bad mirage and scopes dialed in at 20x magnification.

Comment

Ask 10 people in the industry and you'll get 10 responses how to break-in or properly clean your new barrel. My advice, call the manufacturer and follow their directions. Custom match-grade barrels are already hand lapped to perfection. The older I get, the less likely I want to clean every shot for 10, 15, 25 shots. I usually follow the Speedy method for new barrels. If at the range, I will clean the barrel every 8-10 shots fired; old habit from benchrest shooting.

http://www.benchrest.com/sgybreakin.htm

you will be very pleased with the VX5HD

Thx Roberto and no problem about my toes

Lots of great rings/bases out there, as I like the fit, function, and cosmetic appearance of the ARC stuff.

IMHO, owners of new rifles need to ask themselves this question …. what purpose is my new rifle going to serve ? Deer hunting out to 450 yds will not need a 5.5-25x56mm tactical long range scope. A well built, quality glass 4-12x40 or 3-15x50mm scope will suffice for most deer hunting.

Higher magnification is great if hunting out West or at LR targets. Just make sure you realize that scope mirage gets real bad as your power level increases. You may not be able to see the target or cross-hairs at 950+ yds with bad mirage and scopes dialed in at 20x magnification.
                        Blake- Any idea of where to get a Lucas bore guide that Speedy speaks of? I tried finding one on the net last night and nothing! Can you recommend another good one. I have a cheap Tipton kit right now.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                          Blake- Any idea of where to get a Lucas bore guide that Speedy speaks of? I tried finding one on the net last night and nothing! Can you recommend another good one. I have a cheap Tipton kit right now.
                          Send Mike Lucas an email at lucasmjb@windstream.net and he will get you set. Just know what action and what cleaning rod you use.

Comment

Send Mike Lucas an email at lucasmjb@windstream.net and he will get you set. Just know what action and what cleaning rod you use.
                            Thanks! Any idea of what they run?

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                              Thanks! Any idea of what they run?
                              Bore guide and rod guide insert run $65.95. It’s a little pricey but it’s worth the money as it’s by far the best option.

Comment

Bore guide and rod guide insert run $65.95. It’s a little pricey but it’s worth the money as it’s by far the best option.
                                Don’t want to ruin a $2600 gun.

Comment

Working...
                                X