No announcement yet.

Texas High School Bass Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like a good program in theory but it has gotten huge and i do regularly hear stories similar to the ones mentioned above where a lot of them act like they own the lake, don't yield, crowd others, cheating etc. Learning & doing those types of things at that age is not a good thing and more than likely will stick with some later on or worse when they fish solo and captain their own boat. BUT for those that play by the rules and compete, more power to them.

Comment

I think it's great to get kids into fishing and I would have loved it when I was in school. However it seems like every other weekend there is a 500 boat tournament on Rayburn and they won't hesitate to cut you off or pull in on top of you. Not trying to paint with a broad brush because I know it isn't all of them and there are plenty adults that will do it too but with that many inexperienced boaters it is magnified.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
        I think it's great to get kids into fishing and I would have loved it when I was in school. However it seems like every other weekend there is a 500 boat tournament on Rayburn and they won't hesitate to cut you off or pull in on top of you. Not trying to paint with a broad brush because I know it isn't all of them and there are plenty adults that will do it too but with that many inexperienced boaters it is magnified.
        If there's any kind of HS tourney on a lake, i will avoid that lake at all costs if possible. This coming from a guy who has no issues fishing big fish tourneys at Fork and other places with just as many boats. I think you said it best, with the concentration of inexperienced boaters from the driving aspect to the entitlement aspect, i just try to avoid it.

I did however see a guide on Fork lay in to a HS boat team and for good reason. The guide was on fish with clients and the HS boat literally motored in and shut it down about 15 feet away, dropped trolling motor and was almost touching the guides boat while fishing. After being polite, the guide finally had to be blunt about it and the HS boat reluctantly moved on. Keep in mind an adult was on the HS boat the whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
          If there's any kind of HS tourney on a lake, i will avoid that lake at all costs if possible. This coming from a guy who has no issues fishing big fish tourneys at Fork and other places with just as many boats. I think you said it best, with the concentration of inexperienced boaters from the driving aspect to the entitlement aspect, i just try to avoid it.

I did however see a guide on Fork lay in to a HS boat team and for good reason. The guide was on fish with clients and the HS boat literally motored in and shut it down about 15 feet away, dropped trolling motor and was almost touching the guides boat while fishing. After being polite, the guide finally had to be blunt about it and the HS boat reluctantly moved on. Keep in mind an adult was on the HS boat the whole time.
          I know what you mean about avoiding the lake but I only get so many days free enough to go to Rayburn so if I get the chance I am going!

Comment

Its and accident waiting to happen. As for the cheating aspect it is real too several captains caught fish and let kids weight them in, just wrong.

Comment

I've captained for my son the past 3 years and will be again this year for him and my nephew in the SETX HSFA. Luckily I haven't ran into any issues with other anglers during these tournaments but I do avoid most of the well known "go-to" areas. We steer clear of any boats if possible but if we happen to be in the same vicinity of one I keep at least 100 yards distance. It's a shame to hear the stories every year of cheating and poor sportsmanship from the "adult" captains.

Comment

Tournament bass fishing, teenage boys, parents....what could go wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It is the worst wild west tourney situation I have EVER seen...

To open, dangerous number of boats, and RAMPANT cheating/accusations of Cheating...

I WANT the sport to continue... But I think doing it out of ACTUAL bass boats is not the answer.

I think that they should make all the tournaments Kayaks... Cheaper in every way, gets kids out and moving not just burning gas. Fish More smaller lakes. Let them know if they move up and fish in college they get the PRIVILEGE of running a boat.

Yaks make you think more about what you bring with you, you can't just PILE in 30 rods and go. Makes for better fishermen overall imho. Makes costs much more bearable with 2-4 set ups instead of 8+.

Set it up so that you have districs and regionals just like football. I tried to fish whitney during a high school tourney. It was way worse than Fork Big Bass... the completely open format does nothing but make logistics a NIGHTMARE.

I love the kids have the opportunity, but I really wish that somebody could get ahold of the whole thing and point it in a more meaningful direction that function more effectively.

I do think that the "ADULTS" are the problem more often than the kids
                  Last edited by catslayer; 07-24-2018, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post

To open, dangerous number of boats, and RAMPANT cheating/accusations of Cheating...

I WANT the sport to continue... But I think doing it out of ACTUAL bass boats is not the answer.

I think that they should make all the tournaments Kayaks... Cheaper in every way, gets kids out and moving not just burning gas. Fish More smaller lakes. Let them know if they move up and fish in college they get the PRIVILEGE of running a boat.

Yaks make you think more about what you bring with you, you can't just PILE in 30 rods and go. Makes for better fishermen overall imho. Makes costs much more bearable with 2-4 set ups instead of 8+.

Set it up so that you have districs and regionals just like football. I tried to fish whitney during a high school tourney. It was way worse than Fork Big Bass... the completely open format does nothing but make logistics a NIGHTMARE.

I love the kids have the opportunity, but I really wish that somebody could get ahold of the whole thing and point it in a more meaningful direction that function more effectively.

100% Agree.

Comment

My boy is hoping to do this when he hits high school in a few years. Hopefully some of the problems will get ironed out before then.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                        My boy is hoping to do this when he hits high school in a few years. Hopefully some of the problems will get ironed out before then.
                        It will. They just need more boat drivers that are familiar with tournament bass fishing. Some of this stuff goes on at all levels but the people that are involved with it want a good experience for the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Dru View Post
                          It will. They just need more boat drivers that are familiar with tournament bass fishing. Some of this stuff goes on at all levels but the people that are involved with it want a good experience for the kids.
                          No it won't and better boat drivers is not the solution. I like catslayers idea of making it yak only for high school, then in college you can jump to co-angler in the the BFL's, ABA's as well as boater in the college sanctioned stuff. Next level is then the Costas and Bassmaster opens before it gets to the pro tour. This bottom rung in texas is fubar right now and not good for the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                            I'd like to think it will, but it's gonna take more organization and strict discipline from the people running it. We had the misfortune of being on Rayburn this spring the same weekend as a high school tourney. Can't say that I saw any dangerous boating (I see plenty of that around the house on Conroe), but 3 separate times a boat came in very close and cut us off on different spots we were fishing. If it's 50-100 yards I don't even fret about it, but this was 50-60 feet. Close enough we didn't have to yell. I think a two hour boating safety and fishing etiquette course requirement could go a long way.

There will always be people who feel entitled. If any of you figure out a solution to that; let me know. Hitting Rayburn this weekend. Good luck to anyone else fishing!

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post

Yup agree 100%

Comment

I have thought in the past couple of years this would be cool, based on what I've read here- not so cool. Plus I looked at the rules today, my boat is 15', one foot short of the rulebook.

Wish we had this back when I was in High School, 45 min to Ouachita/Degray, 15 min to Hamilton/Catherine.

Comment

Working...
                                X