The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
    6 weeks out and I'm really training my butt off. Down to 214 which is well over 50lbs under my starting weight when we first planned this hunt.

So aside from the obvious first objective on weight reduction being internal, I'm also obsessing now about lightening my pack. My shelter and sleep system have changed at least 3 times and I'm now down in the ultralight backpacking realm. One big remaining question is personal protection. Is a sidearm or bear spray necessary for the Gunnison area of Colorado?
    I've been debating the same. I took a Glock 26 in May, but I'm leaning toward not taking a sidearm for my hunt. I'll be curious to see other viewpoints on this.

PSA - DON'T get on Netflix to watch a movie with the wife and come across a title called "Backcountry" and tell said wife "this sounds like a good one, let's watch it!" It might make you change your mind about a firearm (or change her mind on letting you go!)
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
      No, but bear attacks are on the rise. With that said 3 shots is still a distress signal. I haven’t carry a full size pistol ever in CO. My little Taurus 380 TCP fits on the back of my bino harness. I started carrying that as my CC, might as well carry it in the backcountry. The Underwood ammo with Lehigh bullets has impressive penetration.

Idaho or Montana or Wy, full size pistol and or spray
      I still have an LCP I could take but my daily is now an LCR that doesn't weigh much more. Probably just gonna throw the LCP in my belt pouch though.

Comment

My Nemo forte sleeping bag showed up and just took up to much space in my pack. I returned it and ordered an Enlightened equipment revelation quilt that should be here Wednesday

Comment

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
          My Nemo forte sleeping bag showed up and just took up to much space in my pack. I returned it and ordered an Enlightened equipment revelation quilt that should be here Wednesday
          I use a sea to summit evant compression bag on my EE synthetic quilt and it works great. Being water proof I can run it outside my pack at the bottom or on top under the lid

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post

I use a sea to summit evant compression bag on my EE synthetic quilt and it works great. Being water proof I can run it outside my pack at the bottom or on top under the lid

I may have to pick one of those up. I wasn’t sure what the compression sack it comes with is like

Comment

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
              I may have to pick one of those up. I wasn’t sure what the compression sack it comes with is like
              Comes with a Storage bag and stuff sack. The waterproof compression gives you more options.
              Last edited by Texans42; 07-24-2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Taste testing passed. Assuming no gastro issues this will be in my kit.

Also got my Massdrop Pine Down blanket/quilt today and it looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I may or may not have had a few beers tonight and ordered these bad boys [emoji849]

15x56 blackouts

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                    I may or may not have had a few beers tonight and ordered these bad boys [emoji849]

15x56 blackouts

Ooooooh!!!! I want a pair of the B2's pretty badly! Did you get a tripod to mount those on?

Comment

15x56 blackouts

Nice! Expensive beers!
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                        So aside from the obvious first objective on weight reduction being internal, I'm also obsessing now about lightening my pack. My shelter and sleep system have changed at least 3 times and I'm now down in the ultralight backpacking realm. One big remaining question is personal protection. Is a sidearm or bear spray necessary for the Gunnison area of Colorado?
                        No. I was there three weeks ago scouting (Gunnison that is). I had a black bear ~250 lbs, within 75 yards of me. I ran him off just by making him aware of my presence.

Carry bear spray if you are worried, but my opinion is it's just extra weight. I definitely wouldn't carry a pistol if you are trying to be "ultralight".

Comment

15x56 blackouts

I have the 11x42 and love them. Great purchase

Comment

Pretty sure we talked about NOT going this direction and more towards the spotting scope????? ha ha ha ha ha

15x56 blackouts

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                              Pretty sure we talked about NOT going this direction and more towards the spotting scope????? ha ha ha ha ha

I decided I will probably own both at some point. So I figured I needed to go ahead and buy one of them haha

Comment

There has been some stuff on sleeping pads. I have a collective 7 months of nights on my Sea to Summit insulated light weight pad without a hole. Pretty amazing. I went with the long version. I am 6.2 For a week in back country you could get away with medium and be fine and save a little weight/space.

The holes to inflate Sea to Summit are flat (no little nozzle) . So consider carrying a 2.5 inch hose (see picture). You will appreciate this little jewel at end of the day when inflating. Just don’t let your hunting buddies watch you do it and you know why.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0923C893-83CE-485B-9108-1A3492C303F4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	24547103

Comment

Working...
                                X