Good hunting backpacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good hunting backpacks?

I am looking to get a good pack. I plan on doing some spot and stalk hunts. I would be in the situation where I would be hiking 3-4 miles in and probably set up camp. So I am needing one that would be big enough to get a smaller tent and the essentials in it to hike in for a few day hunt. I have looked at some badland packs. The sacrifice looks like it could work but I have no experience with packs and that style of hunting at all. Any info and tips would be appreciated.

Badlands makes very good packs. Love mine!

Comment

Badlands or Eberlestock are good internal frame packs.

Comment

Ok cool deal guys I will keep those in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          Hard to pass on a Badlands but I think I am going to go with the Eberlestock. The price, size, quality reviews, and the spike camp duffle to add to the pack did it for me. I think it was $288 on midwayusa.

Comment

Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, and Kirfaru are all good options too.

Comment

I did a lot of research on packs before my elk hunting trip last year. The Badlands packs aren't bad, but there are cheaper options that will support a heavy load more comfortably.

I like Eberlestock, but their packs aren't very lightweight. I wound up going with a pack from REI, the XT85, and it worked great for my 7 day hunt. I doubt you need that much space, but the nice thing about that pack is that it comes in right at around 5lbs and you can compress it pretty nicely.

Checkout a guy named Elkreaper (Aron Snyder). He does reviews that he posts on several websites, and he is asked to do product reviews for all sorts of backcountry gear companies. His review is what led to me to try out the XT-85 from REI. It saved me a lot of money and didn't let me down.

Comment

Following

Comment

I personally prefer backpacks that aren't geared towards hunting. Most of my pack in trips, have been done in Ospreys (hands down the best imo), Arcteryx, and Kelty backpacks. If it doesn't have to be camouflage you might look at these brands. For what you are wanting to do you are probably looking at something in 50-65 liter range. I'm fixing to upgrade one of my packs and have a Aether 60 I will need to get rid of if you are interested.

Comment

This and don't forget to think pack-out too.

Comment

Exo mountain pack is the way to go. Elberstock is good but not comfortable with any amount of weight.

Comment

Following please post pics/gear list

Comment

I did a lot of looking and researching prices & reviews etc and ended up getting an Eberlestock J34. I have hiked about 13miles with it so far with gear and rations for an over night stay. One was about 5.75 miles or so easy walking the other about 7.5 miles through rocky up and down canyons. Thought I was gonna die on the 7.5 mile hike I am fat and outta shape. I started going up to the high school football field and walking the bleachers with the pack to get in better shape. The pack was pretty comfortable much more comfortable that I thought it would be carrying the amount of weight that was in it. I got the pack the 3000 cubic inch duffle and 2 liter bladder off of midway for about a $100 less than suggested price of the pack itself.

Comment

Stone glacier, they are pricy but are extreamly light and u don't have to put your meat in the bag or take items out of my he bag to pack out. Give the owner a call he is very nice and very helpful. If money was tight I would go with eberlestock not exactly cheep but great for the price.

Comment

I use the Molly Mac Pack, Peregrine model.
                              MMG, Peregrine

I have hundreds of miles and many more hours under this pack. It is mudular so you configure it for your activity level. I have used is for as little as a mid-day hike and fish to seven days on the trail. This is the best system I have ever used, and I have used a LOT of backpacks hiking and hunting.

Unpaid model, please excuse the massive amount of ugliness!

It doesn't look like much, but once carried a Johnson 9.9 HP boat motor on her. They are tough beyond belief!

Comment

Working...
                              X