I got a little bowed up today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a little bowed up today...

A buddy came from S Fl today and tried to tell me " forget Texas offshore fishing" it sux.....
    I don't believe that. I think it's hard here and I know it's hard there cuz all they caught was ?? 1-2 lb snapper which is great table fair but no real entertainment.
    What's your experience in July/August offshore? Thanks in advance.

I've never gone offshore and not limited out on snapper.

Comment

Snapper is good! Snapper fishing is like catfishing

Comment

Split the difference and go to Venice.
        I've never fished Florida, but I don't see how it could be much different from Texas. Fairly shallow for a LONG way out. Venice on the other hand puts you in DEEP water quickly to get on tuna and bill fish with the same rigs and weed lines that you have in the other 2 spots.

When we're at the cypress cove Marina bar and get to talking to the folks, most of them are fishing some tournament out of Florida. General reply is "we know where to come to catch big fish".

Comment

Texas offshore is 10 times better. But our weather makes it harder to get out because it's to rough most days unlike Florida. But when you do get out the fish are a lot less pressured.

Comment

who complains about getting to go fishing???

Comment

I fished Florida on my birthday in August several years ago. Capitan told us our chance of catching sail fish was slim but he would try to get us on one. 7 sails later and 4 of them ending up in the boat he said it was the absolute best day he'd ever had. So like they say....That's why it's called fishing not catching, if we knew how it was going to be every time you went out what would be the fun in that

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                A buddy came from S Fl today and tried to tell me " forget Texas offshore fishing" it sux.....
                I don't believe that. I think it's hard here and I know it's hard there cuz all they caught was ?? 1-2 lb snapper which is great table fair but no real entertainment.
                What's your experience in July/August offshore? Thanks in advance.
                People who have trouble catching fish offshore of Texas dont know how to fish. There is great fishing here, just have to run a little farther than some places.

Comment

Fishing is fishing. Any given day can stink anywhere. I think the Florida guys have less distance to travel to deep water, more consistent wind and cleaner water. Sailfish are right off the beach after all.

This summer I have been doing really good in our extended snapper fishing. Every drop got a snapper and good bait and paying a little extra attention to boat positioning and rigging brought some really nice fish. I ran out 8/12 though and got a surprise. I got beat to death for a 16 mile run out. 1.5's were about 2.5' in reality. When I got to the "spot", I expected the graph to fill up with color like usual. Instead the wreck looked like a desert. A few bait fish around but the mass of snapper that was there just wasn't. We dropped baits (hand sized live piggy perch) anyway and nothing. After a few drifts and no fish. We took another 6 mile ride to find our next spot barren also. Could see structure fine on the graph but no fish were on it. Not wanting to run any further out in my little boat, we headed back and settled for playing with kingfish and bonita.

Comment

Summer time off the Texas coast is typically slower than in the late-fall and winter...but still lotsa fun. If you want bigger fish, especially tuna, you should consider going in the fall when the tuna are more active. But regardless of the time of year, you should still catch a lot of snapper, kings, and shark.

Comment

Texas offshore is awesome. On calm days we take bay boats out to the first rigs and troll for kings and ling. Usually always limit on kings.

Comment

Not a fan of snapper fishing but give me a wahoo bullet and a abu 7000 on a good casting rod and I'll wear them king out all day long.

Comment

I've fished all over the world and I agree with your friend. Texas has good inshore fishing, but offshore is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post
                            I've fished all over the world and I agree with your friend. Texas has good inshore fishing, but offshore is terrible.
                            Well if you're comparing offshore fishing around the globe I'd tend to agree with you, but compared to Florida (depending on where) Texas offshore waters can be much more productive (depending on where).

Comment

Working...
                            X