Fry Rear Quarters - Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fry Rear Quarters - Deer

So lately have been grilling the back straps and doing the Mississippi Crock Pot recipe with the front shoulders.

So now that I’m not frying the back strap I want to use some of the rear hind quarters for that.

What is the best way to process that? Cut on of the bigger sections in maybe 1/2” slices than beat with the tenderizer?

Yepper

Comment

Fry Rear Quarters - Deer

Steaks from that tip roast is just fine chicken fried!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's pretty much what I do. Cut steaks off the rump, run through the tenderizer soak in butter milk over night. Pull them out when I'm ready to fry pat dry then batter up and get her done.

Comment

Muscle the hind quarters out and they will be like back straps.

Comment

Even if results in smaller pieces, cross grain slice!!! 1/2" is good to thinner over thicker. Most favored by those doing the eating: bit of worcetershire, flour (sometime whole grain wheat flour) salt and pepper. Pound: helps but was not needed to be tender. Smaller chunks were usually a fave piece and more tender. Man I miss this. No venison lately. A little soak in red wine vinegar adds a different, enjoyed by most, flavor. No tenderizer ever for me other than light salt. Some time in the fridge helps tenderize also.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
              Muscle the hind quarters out and they will be like back straps.
              ^This is the ticket

Comment

I always cut the roasts out of the hinds and freeze then whole, and put the smaller trimmings in a freezer bag marked grinds. Never thought about cutting them into steaks for chicken fry. I usually do them in the crock pot like a would do a beef roast or cut them up into stew meat. I will be trying that.

Comment

Put about 4 of the muscles/roasts for frying and grinding the rest.

Thanks!

Comment

I’ve gotten to where I keep every roast frozen whole. They are just so versatile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I did some, but with young kids and there busy schedule, we go through a lot of ground. We have a food saver sealer and when you do the ground in flat packages they thaw out in no time for last minute decisions.

Comment

Working...
                      X