Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk releases

So here's the deal.
    When I first started shooting a bow about 6 years ago I bought a Cobra release. And, yes, I figured out pretty quick why Cobra anything is a bad idea. Since then I have been given a Carter 2 shot and a TRU Ball Assassin. I love the Carter but It needs sent in for a rehab and I will get it done. The TRU ball failed on me and they won't honor the warranty without a receipt.
    So..... I am in the market.
    I have only shot calipers and am interested in the hook style. I've got a budget of $60-$100 and there are just too many to choose from.
    This may be a stupid question but will most bow shops let you try out different models?
    I know Scott seems to be a trusted name.
    I would also like to try some back tension or thumb releases. I just don't have a budget to buy and try.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Stoof; 12-11-2015, 01:41 PM.

Can't go wrong with a Scott. I believe I have a silver horn and I love it. Can't go wrong with a tru fire hardcore either. Both good releases

Comment

I have 2 Scott silverhorn, one for each bow!

Comment

I used to shoot a Scott little goose. Nothing wrong with the release, but I decided to try a tru-ball fang and won't shoot anything else now.

Comment

Personal opinion Scott, spott hogg , and tru Fire all make quality products! My personal preference is a hook style with the trigger as close to the string as possible! That's just what I'm the most accurate with. Some people argue the hook is better that the caliper style because it allows less string movement on the release. IM not sure about that! My advice would be go to your local shop an test as many different ones as you can an see which 1 you shoot the most accurate with an feel the most confident with! If your shop won't allow that I'd go somewhere that will before you spend the $! Personally I can vouch for the Scott little goose and the soott hogg hook style 1 (can't remember the name but it's my favorite) but that's just what I shoot the most accurate with an what feels the best in my hand and what I feel confident in. I am curious about the back tension though. I've read a lot of reviews an watched a lot of videoes on them an a lot of 3d guys that shoot them end up eventually hunting with them as well. A lot of research I've done talks about being able to have a straighter string release and not having to worry with jerking the trigger or accidentally bumping it. I haven't shot 1 yet though so if you do let us know how it is! Good luck on your search

Comment

I'm one of the few that has had Scott fail/ no hold up twice. They are fine but far from the be all end all of releases. I've had 10x better luck with cobra matter of fact

Spott hog makes about as fine a release as I've used as well as carter. They would be my top 2 choices, but hard to fit them in that budget

Comment

Just picked up a Spott Hog Wiseguy. I'll report back later.

Comment

I think I'm in love!
                This release is smooth and comfortable! I'm an official fan of the purple logo. It's a deadly combo.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449949078.609139.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	24420304

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                  So here's the deal.
                  When I first started shooting a bow about 6 years ago I bought a Cobra release. And, yes, I figured out pretty quick why Cobra anything is a bad idea. Since then I have been given a Carter 2 shot and a TRU Ball Assassin. I love the Carter but It needs sent in for a rehab and I will get it done. The TRU ball failed on me and they won't honor the warranty without a receipt.
                  So..... I am in the market.
                  I have only shot calipers and am interested in the hook style. I've got a budget of $60-$100 and there are just too many to choose from.
                  This may be a stupid question but will most bow shops let you try out different models?
                  I know Scott seems to be a trusted name.
                  I would also like to try some back tension or thumb releases. I just don't have a budget to buy and try.

Thanks,
                  I was at Archery Country yesterday, they let me try out multiple releases. Decided to stick w my Scott little goose for now, don't want to switch up in ther middle of the season. But pretty sure i'll be switching to a thumb release soon.

Comment

scott little goose, as a lot has already mentioned.

Comment

I love my Scott silver horn

Comment

When you send the 2shot back, the turn around will be quick. Mine was actually replaced.
                        If you like it, look at Carter's quickie and quickie 2, the are hooks and will open in opposite directions.

Comment

Been using thumb releases for so long that a wrist release is pretty awkward for me. I only use Stanislawski releases, to me they are the best on the market. Of course that is only my opinion.

Comment

Carter Quickie 2+ for me
                            Last edited by dustoffer; 12-13-2015, 08:42 PM.

Comment

do you shoot back tension with the index release? do you need travel? no travel? sensitivity adj? the best i have shot and currently shoot is the like mike. i also have a tru ball short and sweet that is very good but has a little travel to it. another GREAT release that is often overlooked is Fletch Hunter releases. i have on that i have had since i was 15 and it is close to zero travel and is still very crisp.

Comment

Working...
                              X