First North Texas ASA Qualifier for 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First North Texas ASA Qualifier for 2007

The first of 6 North Texas ASA qualifiers will be held at Clifton Archery Club this weekend Feb. 17-18. 30 targets, 10:00 am shotgun start, $25.00 entry fee, $15.00 for young adult and youth classes, $5.00 for eagle (kids) classes. ASA rules apply. Cash pay back for all adult classes.

Please check our website at www.texasasafederation.com for a link to Clifton Archery Club.

Hey, Mike, I heard from some shooters at our club shoot last Sunday that Clifton's course is a 4+ hour course. Perhaps it was just that one time they went.

On a side note - I shot our course on Sunday with 2 kids in a record time - 2 hours! We finished before most of the trad. shooters.

Comment

Clifton Archery Club

Tracey,

Tracy and I went down Sat. and "toured" the course at Clifton. Everthing looked great. We ranged all the known distance stakes in order to make a yardage sheet for the shooters this weekend. The course did not look like it would take any longer to shoot than "normal". I hope it does take 4 hours...that will mean we have a bunch of shooters.

Come on over and shoot with us. The range is about two miles north of Hwy. 6 on FM 219. Man that sounds familiar...your range is about 2 miles south of Hwy 6.

Comment

I can't make it. I promised my sister I'd help her with her house this weekend in Tyler. I'm still planning on Mesquite, though.

Comment

Mike are you and Tracy going to be there Saturday or Sunday? Glenn and I will be shooting on Saturday.

Comment

Toby. We will be there both days. We will probably shoot Saturday and help run things Sunday. We are looking forward to seeing you and Glenn.

Comment

I have another question for you Mike. At the national shoots I know that day one will be lower 12s and day two will be upper 12s. How is this going to work at the state level?

Comment

12's

Toby. The new high 12, low 12, center 12 universal McKenzie targets are not widely in use yet other than at ASA Pro/Ams. A few clubs (IBA for one) and a few individuals have purchased a few. Most clubs had a large supply of Rineharts, McKenzies with low 12's and McKenzies with center 12's on hand and simply cannot afford to jump out there and buy new targets. I am sure that some clubs will start replacing their worn out targets with the universal high 12, low 12, center 12 McKenzies but some clubs will probably go back with Rineharts. I cannot tell clubs what to buy. That is up to them and their budget. I will recomend they buy the new universal McKenzie.

I will have to take each shoot individually and see what kind of targets the club has (I know what most have) and then decide which twelve we will shoot. Last year we shot about 99% low 12's with the exception of Cowtown which has all center 12's. This year will be much the same situation. The state shoot is required to have all low 12's or a combination of half low and half high. No center 12's for ASA state shoots. I hope that in all my rambling that I answered your question.

Comment

I've shot the Clifton Club shoot several times. It's a great course and it will take you around 4 hours to shoot it even if there aren't many people there. I usually shoot the club shoot on saturdays and there are normally only 10 to 20 people shooting on saturdays. I'm not an ASA member, but plan to be next year. You'll enjoy the course. Shoot em straight.

6xbulls

Comment

Just a question? Does it take 4 hours because the terrain is so demanding, or because the targets are spaced far apart? Either way, I am really looking forward to shooting this tournament. It will be good to see everybody again.

Comment

can we join A S A at the shoot?

Comment

ASA Membership

Yes. You can join ASA at the shoot. You do not have to be an ASA member to shoot any of the qualifiers. You do have to be an ASA member to shoot for awards at the state championship. You can also shoot any qualifier or state for fun (not elgible for awards or SOY points) for a reduced entry fee of $15.00.

Also. Anyone can shoot one ASA Pro/Am without being an ASA member. You pay your entry fee plus a $5.00 dollar fee to cover insurance OR if you are attending the shoot with any ASA member the $5.00 fee is waived.

We do not want to discourage anyone from shooting because they are not ASA members. Come on out and shoot !!!

Comment

the course does has some ups and downs to it, but is not really physically demanding. At least not for me. Most of the targets are between 60 to 100 yards apart i guess. there are a couple places where you may walk a couple hundred yards between targets. Most targets will be somewhat protected from the wind, until you hit that last 4 or 5 up top. Usually by the time you get to these the wind is going to mess with you a bit. But, if I understand it right, this shoot may or is going to be a shotgun start. So, if you start on top your in good shape. You'll enjoy the course and the clifton archery club guys. I know last years president shoots ASA and is a super good guy. He's as good as they come, both in person and as a shooter.

6xbulls

Comment

Clifton ASA

I have one thing to say about todays shoot...

WINDY
                            The course was great. I just hope the wind blows as hard on Sunday as it did today just so everyone can enjoy it like I did today.

Comment

Thanks to Clifton Archery for hosting this shoot, and for all the wind!!!! It was good, and I shot like it was the first time...EVER!!

Comment

Working...
                              X