Advice for a Coon@$$ Moving to Texas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for a Coon@$$ Moving to Texas...

So the Wife has finally talked me into moving to the Celina (N. DFW) area after this school year. My Sister/Bro. in Law and several of my Wife's other relatives live in that area and I must admit it is nice. We live a few miles South of New Orleans right now in the same area I've lived for the past 33 years. We have two elementary school age kiddos, so our main reason for making the move kind of goes without saying. The N. Dallas area appears to be very family friendly, whereas our current location is steadily getting worse. I work as a Safety Consultant in the offshore oil/gas industry and my wife is a Nurse so we are good as far as work goes for now. I have a thousand questions about the N. DFW area but I'll start with only a few. Where we live now is in Plaquemines Parish La, and if any of you have ever been fishing or duck hunting in that area you know what I'll be leaving behind. We do lots of deer hunting on the family ranch in Uvalde but at some point I'm going to need my waterfowl and fishing fix. I also got into 3-gun and competitive shooting a few years ago and I'll be looking for a home range and trying to find matches in the area. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Man it would be hard to leave all of that hunting and fishing behind for nutkick, I mean Dallas!

Comment

We moved from South LA to the Cy-Fair area NW of Houston in 2003. Our kids were almost 2 years behind in school. North Dallas is a big area and it varies greatly

Comment

Originally posted by asttbe View Post
        We moved from South LA to the Cy-Fair area NW of Houston in 2003. Our kids were almost 2 years behind in school. North Dallas is a big area and it varies greatly
        ^^^This is for sure a big concern of ours with the move. We are in one of the "best" school systems in our area but it has yet to be seen where the kids will be in comparison. I'm hoping that since they're still younger, they will have time to get up to speed if necessary.

Comment

We live just South of Celina in Prosper - Much different than Dallas proper. Lots of land and good little towns that are exploding at the moment. Tons of good lakes and fishing nearby. Texoma is within 30 mins. of Celina and about an hour to Grapevine.

Comment

OP, I'll shoot you a PM with info I wish I would have had when I got here.

Grew up in Chalmette, and moved from to Texas from Metairie in 2006 after Katrina.

One bit of advice I'd give you is get an extra birth certificate. When you go back to Louisiana to visit during hunting season, you can get a Non-Resident Native Louisiana hunting license for $35. You have to show you were born in Louisiana to qualify.

PM sent.

Comment

Bring Gumbo.

Comment

Buy a lifetime license before you leave

Comment

you gonna miss Belle Chase brother

I'm 50 with a Sr. in HS and 1 in college …. not sure I could do it at my age ; especially if I lived in "da Parish" or "Best Bank" and minutes from the marsh !!

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post

Grew up in Chalmette, and moved from to Texas from Metairie in 2006 after Katrina.

One bit of advice I'd give you is get an extra birth certificate. When you go back to Louisiana to visit during hunting season, you can get a Non-Resident Native Louisiana hunting license for $35. You have to show you were born in Louisiana to qualify.

PM sent.
                    Buy a life time license before you move would be my advice.

Comment

I can’t help with living in that area but you can send an email to this group and they will add you to mailing list for shoots all over Texas. Could prob shoot every weekend if you wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post

PM sent.
                        I'll check into the non-resident native license and if that doesn't work I'm buying the lifetime. I will still have family living in La as well so I'll be making a few trips back every year for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelladog View Post
                          I can’t help with living in that area but you can send an email to this group and they will add you to mailing list for shoots all over Texas. Could prob shoot every weekend if you wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Done. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Tracker View Post
                            Bring Gumbo.
                            You can count on that!

Comment

Originally posted by asttbe View Post
                              Buy a lifetime license before you leave
                              The way it was explained to me is once you're no longer a resident, your life time license becomes null and void, unless you move back.

OP, one more awesome thing good about land locked Texas, when a hurricane comes there ain't no dang boards to put up. Nor is there a debate on when to evacuate.

Comment

Working...
                              X