8 Days to South Africa with Matsuri Safaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're getting ready for our trip to South Africa with Matsuri Safaris and just realized they only take cash or travelers checks and haven't been able to find anyone who will sell us enough travelers checks to make a difference.

Guess I should have seen that earlier but glad my wife noticed it on their website. Doesn't sound like a big issue until you start looking for someone who sells travelers checks. We found one bank in Houston that will sell $1000 worth to non-members. We're told they're too easy to counterfeit so nobody carries them anymore.

W need to determine exactly what we plan to kill so we have enough money on us. Seems like a lot of cash to carry. How have others handled this?

Good luck on your trip.

Comment

I just wire transferred my fees to my outfitter, I'll take a little cash for odds, ends and tips.

Comment

Wire transfer in the way to go for payment of your hunt, this is what i have been doing. When you get to SA, just get exchange USD for Rand for tipping and incidentals for your trip.

Comment

I don't recommend it.
          But I took 9.9k cash in my underwear.

Later I found out that we could have deposited that in an account with our outfitter at their stateside bank.

We ended up shooting a lot more animals and they let us wire the difference when we go back.

Comment

I hunted with Matsuri Safaris last July. I carried 15K in a money belt under my clothes across my chest.

Contact Van I believe you can wire money direct.

I also found out that the credit union freaks out when you walk in without notice and want that kind of money. Evidently it is not like the movies. They do not keep pallets of money in the vault.

Van was great to do business with. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to go back.

Please tell him that Mike Brown said Hi.

Comment

I thought I told you that when we talked, Ed. If not, sorry, I should have. I went in the same trip as MEB last summer, and I carried cash also. I carried it in my wallet in my FRONT pocket.

Oh yeah, and tell Van that Bisch said Hi also!!!

Bisch

Comment

Thanks for the replies. We checked and can deposit some in his account before the trip or take a cashier's check for part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                  I just wire transferred my fees to my outfitter, I'll take a little cash for odds, ends and tips.

That's what I did. I took cash for miscellaneous stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Since I'm not going to be doing any skinning, should I pack a knife and if so what kind? Fixed blade or folding? Pocket or hunting? Any regulations in S.A. I need to be aware of. In Canada they always want to check to see if they are quick opening. Fortunately the last time they didn't understand how the cam works on my Kershaw and after trying to flick it open multiple times, he put it back in my case.

Also, what about face masks? Will we need one there? Black or camo? From everything I see camo is optional since we're hunting from blinds. I'm wanting to follow recommendations and pack light but keep thinking about things I may need?

Comment

I wore a black camo face mask and wore a black long sleeve T shirt.

I brought a pocket knife with replaceable blades. It was not quick opening. I did not do any skinning but I feel naked without one. It was bad enough that I had to leave my .45 at home.

I hunted out of a ladder blind once or twice and I had a camo long sleeved fishing shirt that I wore.

I had a blast wish I could go again soon.

Comment

I didn't take a knife. Didn't need one either. The skinners make short work of it. We just dropped the animals off. I kinda felt weird having someone caring for your animals. I wanted to jump in and quarter them out but I'm sure they would have had something to say about that. Lol

Like Mike, I felt really weird without carrying my everyday pistol. After a couple days I forgot about it until we made the trip back through some sketchy parts of Johannesburg by the airport.

Have fun. We want to go back. I hear a buffalo calling my name!

Comment

Good luck on your trip Ed.

Comment

I took my havalon knife, but never used it. I wear black shirt and hat in the blind, but did not use a headnet or face mask. I don't think it really matters. Wear something dark, and make slow calculated movements, and they won't see you!

Good luck, Ed!

Bisch

Comment

I dont have anything helpful but good luck on your trip!

Comment

Working...
                              X