What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
    I’ll start by saying that I’m a huge advocate for shooting again, ESPECIALLY with a bow. But that deer was bleeding like a stuck hog. It was obvious he was going nowhere fast, and the guy may have not been wanting to spook him into a run (although I doubt that deer could).

I can not believe that deer kept its feet that long with its heart shot out. I don’t video anything, and I personally might have drawn again, but I can see why he didn’t. That was over the second he released.
    My same thoughts, although I would have shot him again because I am not that confident and thought I lost a deer last year I could have shot again

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      It didn't matter what the guy did after that first shot. The deer was pouring out blood like a garden hose and was clearly gonna be dead in a a few more seconds.

I'd typically shoot another arrow, but in that particular instance I don't fault the guy for being confident enough to not shoot again. That deer was NOT going to survive long at all.
      I mean almost two min isnt a few more seconds. The deer was pouring blood but it obviously wasnt double lung or directly through the heart.. Either of those shots and the deer doesnt stand there for two min..

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
        I mean almost two min isnt a few more seconds. The deer was pouring blood but it obviously wasnt double lung or directly through the heart.. Either of those shots and the deer doesnt stand there for two min..
        Does it really matter where the hole is if the deer is losing that much blood that fast? 120 seconds isn't long. And he died within sight. It's amazing that he stayed on his feet (not to mention alive) that long.

Like I said, I'm always gonna shoot again, but I can definitely see why he didn't in that case. Clearly no need. The deer wasn't gonna clot up and recover.

I'm just saying that he wouldn't have been wrong no matter what he did after that first shot.
        Last edited by Shane; 11-26-2019, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
          I’ll start by saying that I’m a huge advocate for shooting again, ESPECIALLY with a bow. But that deer was bleeding like a stuck hog. It was obvious he was going nowhere fast, and the guy may have not been wanting to spook him into a run (although I doubt that deer could).

I can not believe that deer kept its feet that long with its heart shot out. I don’t video anything, and I personally might have drawn again, but I can see why he didn’t. That was over the second he released.
          I mean its pretty obvious his heart wasnt "shot out" if his heart was shot out he wouldnt have stood there for 2 min. If his heart was shot out the only explanation is a really dull *** broadhead.. That said I have seen some weird stuff in my last 20+ years of bowhunting.. Ive seen deer bleed a **** ton and never die or die in a spot you cant find them. I just can see zero justification to not put a second arrow through this deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
            As long as they are in a range I am comfortable shooting I will shoot until I am out of arrows

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
            This

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              Does it really matter where the hole is if the deer is losing that much blood that fast? 120 seconds isn't long. And he died within sight.

Like I said, I'm always gonna shoot again, but I can definitely see why he didn't in that case. Clearly no need. The deer wasn't gonna clot up and recover.
              I see absolutely zero reason to not shoot again but thats just me..Ive seen deer lose alot of blood and walk off. Maybe its just the fact he videoed it for social media that bugs me so much. That video also IMO brings the lethality of an arrow into question for some people. My grandpa for years said bowhunters just wound stuff until I proved him wrong..

Comment

Keep slinging arrows until I’m out, or the animal is dead, or out of range.

Comment

No brainer. Get that critter down as fast as possible and fling another arrow. The last thing I would think about is grabbing my phone to get a video, but thats the age we live in.

Comment

I mean its pretty obvious his heart wasnt "shot out" if his heart was shot out he wouldnt have stood there for 2 min. If his heart was shot out the only explanation is a really dull *** broadhead.. That said I have seen some weird stuff in my last 20+ years of bowhunting.. Ive seen deer bleed a **** ton and never die or die in a spot you cant find them. I just can see zero justification to not put a second arrow through this deer.
                    I hate to be contrary, but I’d bet you’ve never shot a deer that was bleeding like that out of its heart and couldn’t find it, unless it jumped off a bluff or into a river. He may have been concerned about spooking a buck that didn’t know what hit him and was obviously rapidly hemorrhaging. Video thing is a bit weird, but a lot of people video their hunts?

Deer don’t bleed like that one did and not die. Doesn’t happen. Now, they can bleed a lot and get away, but not with a hole in their heart.

Comment

I'd bet his heart had a big hole in it, based on the location of the exit and the way the blood was gushing. But even if he had hit him in the butt and cut the femoral artery and caused that kind of blood loss, the deer was gonna die SOON.

I killed this deer a few years ago. He came in and stood perfectly broadside. I made what I thought was a perfect shot, right in the armpit. He stumbled and ran, and I just knew he was going down in sight. He ran around some brush about 80 yards away, and I lost sight of himl But there was a blood trail like I'd never seen before. Literally 12-18" wide, solid red blood, non-stop the whole way. I figured he'd be laying on the back side of the tree he went behind. I waited 30 minutes anyway. I got out of the blind and went to get him. Got around the tree, and the blood trail kept going. No deer in sight. Blood trail still looked like somebody was draining a 55 gallon barrel of red paint. I followed it around the next bush, and the next, and the next..... Finally, I got to the fence, which was about 400 yards away from my blind. The blood trail never slowed down until the fence. The buck was laying just on the other side of the fence dead. He somehow made it that far before the last drop of blood drained from his body. It didn't take him any more than 90 seconds to get there, but there he was - just out of arm's reach on the neighbor's side of the fence. I had to cross the fence to drag him the 6' or so back under the fence. I wish he would have stood there and bled out where I shot him.

When I gutted him, this was what his heart looked like.

Sometimes they just have a will to live, I guess. The guy in the video was fortunate that his deer didn't run. Letting him stand there and bleed out didn't hurt anything, did it?

I'm not trying to be argumentative at all. I agree with you that shooting a 2nd arrow is always a good idea, and I most likely would have shot again if I were the guy in the video. But maybe he was close to a fence. Maybe the deer would have ran if he'd shot again. Who knows? The end result was pretty good.

Comment

Shoot, shoot, shoot and repeat if necessary..............or bullets/arrows are all gone.

Comment

That deer was dead, and just didn’t know it yet. I don’t have a problem with what the hunter did, but I probably wouldn’t have posted the video. We can Monday morning qb all we want, but no one can say one way or the other what would have happened with another follow up shot. Personally if I know I made a bad shot I’ll, empty my quiver trying to put the animal down, but that deer is dead and putting another arrow in him wouldn’t change anything.

If anyone feels bad about not shooting a follow up shot on that deer, they need to put down the bow and pick up a 300 win mag. Bow hunting isn’t the quickest way to kill deer or any other game for that matter.

Jason Slocum

Comment

I agree with Shane. In the case of this buck he was going to die pretty quickly. The only thing is not shooting again he would more than likely die right there. If you shoot another arrow he is more than likely bolting till he falls over maybe 5 yds maybe 100 yds considering how fast they can cover ground.

Comment

The only ethical thing to do is shoot the deer again....

Comment

Follow up shot as long as it presents one.

Comment

Working...
                                X