Rubber mulch as target stuffing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubber mulch as target stuffing?

After many years of constant use it is time to replace the stuffing in my "DIY Lifetime Target". In the past I have used a lot of things - old tarps, shredded carpet, chunks of foam, old clothes, etc and it has worked fine. I've had the thought that a good alternative would be the rubber mulch they use to make a safe landing area around playground equipment. Buying it by the bag at HD would be expensive but I see there are places around that sell it by the yard - should be considerably cheaper. Anybody ever use it in an archery target?
    Last edited by jerp; 04-03-2018, 11:20 AM.

It will all depend on the rubber because most rubber is very hard to pull arrows out of.

Comment

Try you some shrink wrap man. Cheap, light, water proof and free in most cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Plastic bags...like from Walmart. Push and push bags Into target. Gets no junk on arrows and easy to pull out.

Comment

I would be afraid the steel belting would damage the shaft

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
            I would be afraid the steel belting would damage the shaft
            X2

Comment

Honestly there are a couple factors that would deter me:

1) Weight. rubber is heavy. Just try lifting a stall mat to use as a back stop.
              2) Packing it in. It is rubber, it should normally resist being stuffed to some degree.
              3) Resistance. You want some give, but not too much. I would think the rubber mulch just wouldn't give enough when you have it packed in.

That stuff is good for filling duffel bags for workouts, but it wouldn't be my top choice for target material for the same reason.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post

This is the way to go. You can get it at grocery stores. They throw it away every day. Stomp it in good and it makes a great target.

Comment

Reliable Tire Disposal in Burnet TX has the rubber mulch. They have a machine that takes the metal out of it and it comes in multiple colors.
                  (512) 756-8218

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post

Yep this works awesome I use the wrap off my pallets and two finger pull out with field point practice tip but in my experience broadheads will go right through it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Collier View Post
                      Reliable Tire Disposal in Burnet TX has the rubber mulch. They have a machine that takes the metal out of it and it comes in multiple colors.
                      (512) 756-8218
                      Yeah, the operations that make rubber mulch for playground use have a process that removes any remnant of the steel belts. My thought is you wouldn't have to pack it real tight for it to work. As a test, I think I will buy a 1 c.f. bag of the stuff at HD and see how well it stops an arrow. Here is the target when it was new - I built it in 2012. I've replaced the target face several times but this will be only the 2nd time I've had to repack it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	target1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	24535434

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                        Yeah, the operations that make rubber mulch for playground use have a process that removes any remnant of the steel belts. My thought is you wouldn't have to pack it real tight for it to work. As a test, I think I will buy a 1 c.f. bag of the stuff at HD and see how well it stops an arrow. Here is the target when it was new - I built it in 2012. I've replaced the target face several times but this will be only the 2nd time I've had to repack it.

[ATTACH]903291[/ATTACH]
                        What is the face made from? Did you put the same face on both the front and back?

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                          What is the face made from? Did you put the same face on both the front and back?
                          The stuffing is held in with plastic poultry wire stretched across the frame. The face is burlap I bought from the fabric store. I cut a stencil out of cardboard and spray painted the circles and then added a 1" black dot in each one. The other side is the same. As you might guess it is really heavy - luckily I have a permanent spot for it.

Comment

plastic bags from the cleaners works well also

Comment

This is what I used. Any of the big box stores are usually happy to hand it off to you for the asking, and the feed stores are a good source too.

Comment

Working...
                              X