Acreage requirements for firearm shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many acres are required to discharge firearms? My neighbor has 8 acres but shoots a variety of weapons for several hours. So far he’s been shooting for 3 hours straight today. This is in Hardin county outside the city limits.Thanks.

You should call your county commissioner and ask

Comment

Is the price or privilege of living in the country, outside city limits. Is he shooting into something that stops the bullets?

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
        Is the price or privilege of living in the country, outside city limits. Is he shooting into something that stops the bullets?
        No. Through a paper target

Comment

I live on 1 acre and have 2 neighbors to my west who also have 1 acre tracks. The farthest neighbor shoots into a dirt pile on the back of his property all the time. I can see him when he does it and he's seems to be responsible so I haven't made an issue out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
            No. Through a paper target
            If the bullets are leaving his property, I believe that is against the law.
            I would be calling the sheriff.

Comment

Are you upset about the noise or some other reason?

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                If the bullets are leaving his property, I believe that is against the law.
                I would be calling the sheriff.

Trespass by projectile or something along those lines. But OP hasn’t said the bullets are coming into his property.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                  Trespass by projectile or something along those lines. But OP hasn’t said the bullets are coming into his property.
                  No he hasn't. But no back stop on 8 acres a ricochet is very possible. And I would be calling the sheriff.

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                    No he hasn't. But no back stop on 8 acres a ricochet is very possible. And I would be calling the sheriff.

You would call the sheriff because there’s a potential for ricochet? 8 acres is a decent chunk of property. What if he’s shooting into a dense area of trees? Or shooting downward? Considering the OP specifically mentioned the length of time he’s been shooting I’’m ASSuming he’s annoyed by the noise and now looking for ways to shut him down. I’d say if he’s being safe (hopefully) and he wants to shoot on his own property mid day on a Saturday, leave him be.

Comment

I've read in the hunting rules book to hunt you have to be on at least ten acres, unless there's a ruling about firearms discharge in the county. That tells me it would depend on a county ordinance.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                        You would call the sheriff because there’s a potential for ricochet? 8 acres is a decent chunk of property. What if he’s shooting into a dense area of trees? Or shooting downward? Considering the OP specifically mentioned the length of time he’s been shooting I’’m ASSuming he’s annoyed by the noise and now looking for ways to shut him down. I’d say if he’s being safe (hopefully) and he wants to shoot on his own property mid day on a Saturday, leave him be.
                        Yes I would. OP was asked "is he shooting into something to stop the bullets?" OP answered "NO". So according to the facts given the potential for a ricochet is possible and a bullet can cover much more ground than 8 acres, even a ricochet.

Comment

The 10 acre rule is for hunting, but I believe you can shoot on private property of any size outside the city limits, bullets must remain inside boundaries tho

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                            I've read in the hunting rules book to hunt you have to be on at least ten acres, unless there's a ruling about firearms discharge in the county. That tells me it would depend on a county ordinance.
                            What hunting rules book did you read that in?

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailfanatic View Post
                              The 10 acre rule is for hunting, but I believe you can shoot on private property of any size outside the city limits, bullets must remain inside boundaries tho
                              That's correct. It is up to the county to restrict it any more than that, and I don't think Hardin County has any specific verbiage for a minimum acreage.

I'll quote the 10 acre rule below, notice it only gives the counties the ABILITY to further restrict shooting.

Sec. 235.022. AUTHORITY TO REGULATE. To promote the public safety, the commissioners court of a county by order may prohibit or otherwise regulate the discharge of firearms on lots that are 10 acres or smaller and are located in the unincorporated area of the county in a subdivision.

Comment

Working...
                              X