Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #1
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties
Default OFFICIAL 2016/17 East Texas Hunting Thread

Last year, Jooger's thread became the Campfire for us East Texas hunters.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=560629

I figured I would go ahead and start another one in anticipation of the upcoming season for us hunting in East Texas. I've been reading through Jooger's thread from last year and lots of good hunts and good times.

I lost my place in Madison County last season so I will be confined to hunting the property I live on and a small bow lease I share with another TBH'er just down the road here in Montgomery County. I'm currently looking for a lease opportunity for my and my boys but with the season fast approaching, I guess we will just concentrate our efforts close to home.

So let's get this going...share stories, trail cam pics, set ups, family, campfires, live hunts and so on and so forth. From what I'm hearing and seeing, it's going to be a great season!
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County, Old Mexico

I am in. I hunt on the fringe of East Texas in northwest Anderson county. So far I have a nice bachelor group of young bucks hanging out at our feeders, but two of our mature bucks that I know made it thru the season haven't shown back up. It is so green our deer aren't forced to come to feed, and I don't have any cameras up on trails to bedding areas yet.

Good luck to everybody this year.
texas shag is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
gusman
Ten Point

Hunt In: /east texas

Im in..
gusman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #4
bollomb
Eight Point

Hunt In: Trinity

This is one of my favorite threads to keep track of. I am looking forward to seeing some of our deer shed that velvet, then we can see what we really have.
bollomb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2016, 11:18 AM   #5
ethic1
Six Point

In
ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #6
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Im here. The next two weeks will be odd. Beauty berries getting ripe and bucks that have been hanging together since the first of the year are no longer friends. Time for deer to drop off cameras for a couple weeks and then deer we didnt know existed to show up. It happens every year. I generally start a thread about that about this week because it seems to catch folks by surprise.

Not sure how many pics I will post this year but we have the best target list ever and there are still some deer I HAVENT GOTTEN PICS OF YET. Gonna be the best year for East Tx!
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
BowFed2014
Eight Point

I'm in. Also looking forward to seeing your posts GarGuy.
BowFed2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #8
SnJGuin
Ten Point

I'm in...
SnJGuin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #9
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

I'm in, I hunt in the larue/baxter/athens area on the edge of Henderson county within 3 miles of Anderson county, mature bucks are every where, herds and herds of deer are flourishing in this area....6-10 years ago deer were there but the herds weren't quite as populated....
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #10
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Huntin Trinity, Houston, Angelina, and San Augustine counties here. Seeing lots of deer around so far.
SolocamShooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #11
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

I only have one camera running on my only feeder. Life got in the way this summer and I haven't made the trips I needed to make. I hunt in southern Polk county. I plan on going up this weekend to put out a few more cameras, one in my usual spot in an oak flat where a scrape is every year. It's a little early for me to start seeing bucks of any kind. I have to miss most of bow season due to a shutdown at work.
Can't wait to see some pictures.
Grndchecker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #12
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Well... not sure what this season will hold for me since I won't have to worry about going out West where I'd been the last 30 years I do have a bunch of property that I have hunted for years on for hogs... Some great deer there so maybe I will get serious and do some "real deer hunting" instead of just watching a feeder in West Texas... I also truly enjoyed the thread from last year. I think this thread may be a great motivation for me to get busy and participate in it too... Haven't been to my East Texas property since last September... was under water most of the past year... it's sort of dry now so my plan is to kick it off this weekend by going out and seeing what I have left after all the floods... Hope to get feeders going, start some hand corn in the thickets and put out cameras... stay tuned!

Thanks Johnny for kicking this one off!! Good luck to all my East Texas huntin' buddies!!! Kind of exciting to be part of it again!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #13
hog wild
Six Point

Hunt In: houston,cherokee, angelina co.

I'm in. Lets do this! Garguy is right this is going to be a great yr. I have some studs on camera now in Houston county. I just hope I can connect with one!
hog wild is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #14
BIG~ZIG
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods

I'm in
BIG~ZIG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2016, 02:26 PM   #15
jjaimes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I'm in. Looks like a very good year this year for East Texas. I usually get pics of big bucks in October nothing but does right now. I have been seeing a lot of bucks crossing the roads and on neighboring ranches right now not to mention the bunch of does I see running around like never before.
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2016, 02:35 PM   #16
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

I am in but I am way behind......We lost our lease in Kerr county and I will be heading down this weekend to pick our first load of equipment. Barring major malfunctions I hope to have at least 3 of my feeders setup in Van Zandt county by night fall on Sunday. 2 of the places have never had a feeder on them before. The other one has had one there a couple of times but at all 3 the thought of a feeder equaling corn will probably take a while to get going. If I get any interesting pictures I will be sure to post them but I expect only a few does, a small buck or two, and lots of hogs.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2016, 02:44 PM   #17
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

John, I remember years ago when we put our first feeders up out West, the corn lay on the ground and sprouted and started to grow!! It wasn't until the deer started to eat the small green corn plant blades did they figure out that those little rocks with weeds growing out of them were pretty tasty themselves... Didn't have a coon problem for several years... Times have sure changed now though!!!

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #18
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

In ! Looks good in my part of East TX. Wood Co.
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2016, 07:10 PM   #19
GLM
Eight Point

I'm in. I hunt in San Jacinto county near Point Blank. I've got 2 feeders going and getting lots of pictures of deer and hogs.
I'll also be planting my fall food plots in about a month. Hope everyone has a good year!!
GLM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2016, 02:33 PM   #20
woodsman
Ten Point

Hunt In: . . . the re-public . . . of Texas

In for the mud and the blood and the tears
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #21
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Mud n tears, I've already got... hope to get some blood here in just over a month too!!
Old 08-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #22
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
That about sums it up.

Alright, glad to see people chiming in. I have a lot of young stuff showing up on my wood line behind my house..lots of does, fawns and young bucks. For the ones that followed the thread from last hunting season, y'all know we were after a certain buck during the entire season. He only appeared twice in day light. Once 2 days before the general season and late in the evening on the last day of general season. He was all over the trail cam throughout the entire season. We call him "Honky".

Name:  bigboy4.jpg
Views: 4877
Size:  36.2 KB

Name:  PRMS0036.jpg
Views: 4937
Size:  33.1 KB

My dad lives 100 yards down the road and we overlook the same wood line. A few weeks back one morning, he saw two big mature bucks come out back in the woods on a trail...he said both were shooters and one looked similar to Honky. They did not come into the gravity feeder I had out. I recently took the gravity feeder out and got a camera over some hand thrown corn. The hunt for Honky continues...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2016, 02:52 PM   #23
aclark0495
Eight Point

Hunt In: Alto, Texas

Im in, Cherokee County for me and my boys. Just put cameras out on Sunday. can't wait to see what they have on em in a couple of weeks.
aclark0495 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 09:42 AM   #24
BufordT
Four Point

Hunt In: Grimes

I'm in Johnny. Baseball is over, Football beginning, velvet getting stripped!
Polk and Tyler counties
BufordT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #25
EastTx
Ten Point

Found a fresh rub yesterday. It's getting close.
EastTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #26
Aggiebush
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County and Draw Hunts

In!
Heading up to Red River Co today after work. Two weeks ago, we put pens around two of our feeders, to keep the hogs out. Ready to see how well they work, and if the deer action has picked up at them. Also putting out two new bow blinds that we just built.
Come on October!!!
Aggiebush is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #27
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: A pop up Blind in East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas shag View Post
I am in. I hunt on the fringe of East Texas in northwest Anderson county. So far I have a nice bachelor group of young bucks hanging out at our feeders, but two of our mature bucks that I know made it thru the season haven't shown back up. It is so green our deer aren't forced to come to feed, and I don't have any cameras up on trails to bedding areas yet.

Good luck to everybody this year.
I think your the one I hunt near, the water finally receded around the first week of August on our place from the Ocotober floods. 200 acres out of 275 were 8' under water. All we can do is plant some FP and hope.
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #28
d_e_smith
Pope & Young

Hunt In: ETX

In...going to be a GREAT year!
d_e_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #29
ETXHorseApple
Four Point

Hunt In: Anderson Co

Hey everyone I'm Sonny! Im in!

My dad and I are hunting a thick 200 acres in NE Anderson county of Brushy Creek. I have had cameras out for about a month now and had nothing but Does and Fawns.

Look forward to seeing how the year develops.
ETXHorseApple is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 10:48 AM   #30
BCBHunter712
Six Point

Hunt In: Northeast, Texas

Hooah! I'm ready to get going, my bucks in Cass and Marion Counties started stripping velvet this past week. Only one buck I'm really after so far though. Hope it's a good year although my prime areas are flooded already.....
BCBHunter712 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #31
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County, Old Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasMan View Post
I think your the one I hunt near, the water finally receded around the first week of August on our place from the Ocotober floods. 200 acres out of 275 were 8' under water. All we can do is plant some FP and hope.
Yes sir, we are within a few miles of each other. When I drove over the river two weeks ago it appeared the bottom lands had finally dried out. The deer will move back in quicker than you think, especially if there is some tender green shoots sprouting.
texas shag is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 10:54 AM   #32
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

If it ain't rainin' when I get home this evenin', I'm gonna go pull cards to see if anything is hitting the feeders at my home place besides coons n squirrels... Stay tuned...

Got stuff ready to go put out this weekend, at some other property, but don't have a lot of confidence I can get it done unless I want to do it in the rain... I just plain ain't that mad at 'em anymore...
Old 08-26-2016, 11:02 AM   #33
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: A pop up Blind in East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas shag View Post
Yes sir, we are within a few miles of each other. When I drove over the river two weeks ago it appeared the bottom lands had finally dried out. The deer will move back in quicker than you think, especially if there is some tender green shoots sprouting.
Discing up about 12 acres this weekend, and getting stands setup and finally venturing to the back to reclaim what the river stole. Just trying anything we can to get some animals back.
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #34
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Well the bucks are right on schedule! many are cleaned up right now. the groups of ten bucks are now ones and twos. Bucks that were eating corn every day now drop in once every two or three days. the beauty berries are ripe and filling that starch need instead off corn for right now. It will settle down in a couple weeks. time for new bucks to suddenly appear!

Dont stress if your big deer drops off the camera for a couple weeks. he will be back soon.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #35
popo1984
Eight Point

I'm in as well. I'll go next week to check cards and top off my feeder. I'm in Polk county around seven oaks.
popo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #36
Jaker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ace, SHNF, DCNF

I will be following this post. I'm Hunting in SE polk county these two were my two target bucks last year I ended up shooting a smaller 9 point, hopefully he made it, I havent had pics of him yet.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4775
Size:  75.7 KB
Jaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #37
Jaker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ace, SHNF, DCNF

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4756
Size:  99.5 KB
Jaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2016, 06:08 PM   #38
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

In as well.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2016, 06:34 PM   #39
jjaimes
Ten Point

These are a few from last year that are still running around for sure the first 10 point is in Tyler County.
The next one is that wide 8 point. Hes a fighter and looks to be one of the more dominant bucks. Has scars everywhere and here a couple of busted tines. I got a few pics of him near his bedding area without any antlers after the season ended. I know it's him from the massive body and scars around his face and ears.
The last one is a tall 8 point with a busted up side late in the season all I know is hes pretty tall. These last 2 bucks are in Newton Co. My cousin had a close encounter with that tall 8 during the rut but didnt give him a shot with the bow.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2016, 06:36 PM   #40
jjaimes
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaker View Post
I will be following this post. I'm Hunting in SE polk county these two were my two target bucks last year I ended up shooting a smaller 9 point, hopefully he made it, I havent had pics of him yet.
Attachment 809536
Thats a good one!
Old 08-27-2016, 06:39 PM   #41
DesertDug
Ten Point

Hunt In: far out west texas & SHNF & Lovelady

In. I hunt a small track in Houston Co. Near Pennington. First year do not know what to expect. Camera and feeders going since January but only hogs and very few pics of a doe. I have heard that the area is good, just hope they cross through our place.

DesertDug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2016, 08:55 PM   #42
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

Going up in the morning to trim shooting lanes and put out a few more cameras. Work is getting in the way in a few weeks, but I'm hoping for a good year.
Grndchecker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2016, 09:04 PM   #43
hogslayer78
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Augustine

I'm in. Hunting 568 acres in San Augustine county. Just 3 of us. Pulled some cards today and got a good shooter.
Attached Images

hogslayer78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2016, 09:42 PM   #44
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County

Not much to add (yet) except the Mosquitoes were very thick last week on my Splendora lease. So much so that with them, the heat and the humidity- it will be a few weeks before I go back. Hard to get excited just yet.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2016, 01:16 AM   #45
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.

I'm in, Gregg Co. & Marion Co.
A few regulars from last year back on camera behind the house in Gregg. and just set out my camera in Marion (Lodi) last week. Will check it in a few weeks. 903 produced some good deer last year can't wait to see this years!
Behind the house in Longview..

Hix is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2016, 01:20 AM   #46
PSE_TX
Four Point

Hunt In: Jasper County

This will be my first year in East Texas. Lost our lease in the hill country and now I'm in Tyler county near Colmesneil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PSE_TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2016, 01:26 AM   #47
jjaimes
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSE_TX View Post
This will be my first year in East Texas. Lost our lease in the hill country and now I'm in Tyler county near Colmesneil

Hey alot of good deer in Comesneil. Im in Hillister about 30 mins from there..
Old 08-28-2016, 01:30 AM   #48
PSE_TX
Four Point

Hunt In: Jasper County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaimes View Post
Hey alot of good deer in Comesneil. Im in Hillister about 30 mins from there..

I've heard good things about the area from friends and a few locals in town. I didn't have much on my camera the last time I checked at the beginning of August but I had only had camera/feeder going for about 3 weeks at that point. I'm hoping for a different story next weekend!

PSE_TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #49
jjaimes
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSE_TX View Post
I've heard good things about the area from friends and a few locals in town. I didn't have much on my camera the last time I checked at the beginning of August but I had only had camera/feeder going for about 3 weeks at that point. I'm hoping for a different story next weekend!

I usually start getting pictures of bucks around the middle of October. It's usually bucks that seperate from their bachelor groups and start wondering around looking for does.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #50
Tylertxag
Nubbin' Buck

I'm in.
Tylertxag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top