Rewire Coaxial Cable in house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rewire Coaxial Cable in house

My house is 50 years old and the cable line has been split more times then you can count. I think I am going to re wire it.

I have three bedrooms and a living room. Right now there are 5 lines in the house and I want to keep it that way. My main TV and router are in the living room(farthest distance from the drop).

My question is when do you split it?
    Also how hard it is going to be to put on connectors? I assume this is something I can DIY?
    Does anyone know what Comcast would charge?
    What type of cable do I want to run.

Thanks,

I'm not positive on the split but I ran the 4 high end cables all the way to the splitter from incoming underground cable. Overkill? Probably but I couldn't find the right answer and I had a free roll given to me so I ran with it . The ends are easy, go buy a quality tool from store or order one with the connectors needed and your golden. Took me all of a couple hours to do mine.

Comment

Not overkill Thumper, The best way to do it is to run RG6 from each room to your attic access door, then at least 2 "home runs" from the attic access to your service entrance location. the split location will be at the access door and one home run will be for tv and the other for internet if that comes via cable as well.

The cable company will charge you at least $200 a drop so you're looking at a grand. If you're even remotely capable of DIY then do it. May be a PIA to drop in walls without experience, but hey, you'll be able to get that new toy with the savings the connections are the least of your worries, I'm sure you can find something on youtube. Use compression connectors, not the screw on. Oh and BTW, before you pull out those old wires, cut off the connectors and tape the hell out of the new wire at the floor level nice and neat (not too bulky) and you may be able to pull the new wires through the wall without fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
        Not overkill Thumper, The best way to do it is to run RG6 from each room to your attic access door, then at least 2 "home runs" from the attic access to your service entrance location. the split location will be at the access door and one home run will be for tv and the other for internet if that comes via cable as well.

The cable company will charge you at least $200 a drop so you're looking at a grand. If you're even remotely capable of DIY then do it. May be a PIA to drop in walls without experience, but hey, you'll be able to get that new toy with the savings the connections are the least of your worries, I'm sure you can find something on youtube. Use compression connectors, not the screw on. Oh and BTW, before you pull out those old wires, cut off the connectors and tape the hell out of the new wire at the floor level nice and neat (not too bulky) and you may be able to pull the new wires through the wall without fishing.

Good info here, the only thing I would change or suggest otherwise is to run each line to the box outside. This will allow for the least amount of loss over the cable through the splitters and eliminates an extra point of failure. Since everything is going digital there could be issues with db loss through the extra splitter to hd boxes or converters. RG6 would be the cable to use and terminations are pretty easy, here is a link to a video on how to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WFoAVAjEvc

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post

This is spot on.. Use the old cable everywhere you can as a "pull string" and will save yourself a ton of time.

Comment

Sweet. Thanks guys.

Comment

I ran all new cable. It all snaked through just fine.

Got it all hooked up and everything was static. Check all the connections. even bought a tester. All the lines were good but nothing worked.

I called comcast, they came out. The guy tech said the wrong connectors and splitters were used. He cut them all off and checked it again. Still didn't work.
              He ran a new drop and everything was fixed.

No charge.

I think the whole project cost me about $150. That is with tools and a ton of leftover cable.

Comment

Wish I was closer, I'd help. Did cable install, repair for 8 years, I'm still in the industry just not in the field anymore. RG6 quad shield, compression fittings and make sure your splitter goes up to at least 1000MHz if not higher. Doesn't really matter where you put the splitter, preferred location is outside with all lines being a direct run. Your goal is the least amount of splits possible. PM me any questions.

Comment

And I just realized this was a couple days ago and you had Comcast out. Lol, oh well

Comment

Originally posted by AgBass01 View Post
                    And I just realized this was a couple days ago and you had Comcast out. Lol, oh well

Thanks for the offer!

Comment

Time Warner only charges 75 bucks per outlet. It's not a drop....it's an outlet. LOL.

No company charges 200.00. Possibly if it is a two story wall fish.

Dude though it was wrong connectors or splitters? LMAO. Improperly installed fittings but not the wrong kind. There is no right kind.

Sorry, if I would have seen this I may have been able to get some "free" cable, fittings and splitters to you.

Comment

Working...
                      X