No announcement yet.

After the death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a buddy sell me all his dads guns...he hated his dad and selling them to me cheap was a way to get back at his dad. Family’s are weird sometimes.

Comment

If you like 1100s that much, you could buy a few with that $1600.
      It sounds to me like you really don't have any sentimental attachment to that particular shotgun ... and what kind of arsehole uncle would try to get that much money for a shotgun; considering the situation.

Comment

It sounds like you don't need that side of the family anyways. Just walk away.

Comment

Looks like the uncle is stirring the pot. If he hadn't intended to give you the gun he should have kept his mouth and the safe closed. Had he not shown the gun to you you would not have known that it existed and went on with life. As it is now he has opened a can of worms. If it were me I would walk away. In the grand scheme of things some things are just not that important. If your son was there with you when all of took place it would be a good teaching moment. Show him how people can get caught up in material things when really the most important thing is family and the memories made.

Comment

Your uncle is a d b. Your brother has a point. Your cousin likes your brother more.
            Your wife is probably right , turn around and forget about it.

Comment

Originally posted by justin81 View Post
              i've been in this situation with my grandfather's firearms. Best thing to do is walk away. Too many feelings get hurt between people that otherwise wouldn't speak ill of eachother. A gun won't change your memories about your father.

Just my opinion on the matter. Take the $1600 and buy something you can pass on to your children.
              this this this!!!

Comment

Move on, concentrate on being a better man for your children, money matters never work out in family matters

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                  Sounds like a no win. Either you will maneuver and get the gun and have the entire family mad or you will let it go and have them hang their “victory” over your head every chance they get.

This isn’t a good alternative solution but one that came to mind. If getting your dad’s shotgun is going to cause more problems than it’s worth, consider talking about it with your son. Then the two of you go pick out a new gun you can both make memories with together with the promise that he will never have to experience what youve gone through. It won’t fix the problem at hand but it might create something more valuable to your son.

Winner. Great solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Haven’t been home in 15 years? Wow!

You and your family are dysfunctional. Why keep contributing to the dysfunctionality?

Comment

Get in the truck, drive the 9 hours back home and act like none of it ever happened. You've been fine without that and them for all these years so why ruin a good thing now? Move on and continue being a great dad and husband, you don't need any of that other drama in your life.

Comment

Buy two 1100's one 20 and one 12. Use the extra cash on some bird hunts with your son. That would mean more than anything else.

Comment

Sometimes family and "inheritance" stuff gets ugly and the situations become no-win situations. I agree with everyone saying to let it go, go back home and forget about it. At least for now. You may be able to go back to your uncle after a while and buy it from him later after the dust has settled.

Comment

I'd slap my brother in the face for comments like that. We are equals in every sense of being brothers and family members. I freely give to him and he also. So, if you brother wants it, then let it go but let him know first and foremost, the first born BS stops right there. If your family is dead set on arguing over all your dad's items, then let it go and walk away. Prayers for you and for your loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                              Haven’t been home in 15 years? Wow!

You and your family are dysfunctional. Why keep contributing to the dysfunctionality?
                              Yes, I can see why he would stay away for 15 years. Sad deal on many levels.

I would walk away. Just a piece of metal and wood. I say this knowing that my most prized guns are my grandparents shotguns. My grandmothers shotgun was given to me by my cousin because he knew I would take care of it. I would sell the rest of my Dad's guns for my sons and nephews college funds. He would have been total cool with that. At the end of the day it is about the relationships we had, not the material stuff left behind.

Comment

Sounds like multi-generational dysfunction in your family - your dad had issues, your uncle has issues (I'd give the gun to my brother's kids if I were him), your brother has issues, . . .
                                I suggest adding this experience to your bank of knowledge of what you don't want your immediate family and your legacy to be. Walk away from the drama and work on making your family, and what your kids experience, the best it can be.
                                I'm sorry you don't have the blessing of a strong extended family.

Comment

Working...
                                X