Electrician Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrician Help

Need help, I want to run power to one of my sheds I have a 125 amp box and about 750' of #6 wire. I need to run it about 123' I was told that I would be able to draw no more than 50 Amps at that distance. One guy told me that I can run 5 wires, 2 for hot, 2 for neutral and 1 ground to increase the amps. I don't anything about that any help thanks.

That 123' does that include the depth the conduit will be in ground plus the length of going into the sub panel to the make up lugs?

Comment

I will be running it from the 200 amp box outside the house to the box I will be placing in the shed. As for depth I'm going down about 1'.

Comment

If it was me I would: install a 2 pole 50 amp breaker in the main panel and then land the #6 wires on the main lugs in the sub panel. .If you run the #6 parallel,they won't fit under the lugs of a 50 amp breaker

Comment

What are you planning on running out there in shed. Welder, power tools, lights,etc That'll make a big difference. If you plan on using just the #6 and don't want to buy wire then a Double Pole 50amp breaker in main panel and a main lug panel in shed will work fine at that distance, but it may limit what you can do based on what you're running out there.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post
              What are you planning on running out there in shed. Welder, power tools, lights,etc That'll make a big difference. If you plan on using just the #6 and don't want to buy wire then a Double Pole 50amp breaker in main panel and a main lug panel in shed will work fine at that distance, but it may limit what you can do based on what you're running out there.
              Yeah, just what you mentioned is about it. I have a gas welder in my shop, but I want to put a little electric welder in the shed. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunt3 View Post
                Yeah, just what you mentioned is about it. I have a gas welder in my shop, but I want to put a little electric welder in the shed. Thanks
                If you're talking about a 120v wire welder then that won't be an issue

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunt3 View Post
                  Need help, I want to run power to one of my sheds I have a 125 amp box and about 750' of #6 wire. I need to run it about 123' I was told that I would be able to draw no more than 50 Amps at that distance. One guy told me that I can run 5 wires, 2 for hot, 2 for neutral and 1 ground to increase the amps. I don't anything about that any help thanks.

What type of wire is it? Is it romex? Thhn? UF? If it's single conductor thhn you can run 3 #6's and a #10 for the ground. If all you have is #6 then use that. Make sure the grounds and neutrals are separated and the bonding screw is out. Set a ground rod at your shop. Run a wire from your sub panel to the ground rod.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                    What type of wire is it? Is it romex? Thhn? UF? If it's single conductor thhn you can run 3 #6's and a #10 for the ground. If all you have is #6 then use that. Make sure the grounds and neutrals are separated and the bonding screw is out. Set a ground rod at your shop. Run a wire from your sub panel to the ground rod.
                    This plus I would also put a 2 pole 60 in my sub panel for a main out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X