Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoubleGArchery View Post
    Marjo and I are camping at Georgetown lake a couple days this week and there is a ton of deer. We saw a lot of does yesterday and this morning. Going to be a great crop of deer this year, you guys hunting the lake should do well.
    Cool!

Comment

Public land is public land. If you can access a spot easily, then others can. So you share the opportunities with others. If you can find a place where others can hardly access, or not willing to spend that much efforts to be there. Then, all chances are yours.

Comment

So what do you think the percentage is of feeders vs. hand throwing? 50-50?

Comment

So what do you think the percentage is of feeders vs. hand throwing? 50-50?
          I have no idea, but if you spend some time out there you'll see a lot of feeders.

Comment

I tried both in the past. Both work, but I feel feeder is better. Hand feed works, you will hold deer around your spot, but their presence will vary. If you can hunt several days in a row, you will have more chance to see them (>50%). Feeder+camera will make it far more easier. Save a lot of time and efforts.

Comment

When I did a feeder last year it would scare the heck out of the deer if any were near it when it went off. They never would come back. Trying a new area this time.

Comment

Anyone been scouting for the 2012 season? How's it looking out there? Work has me all tied up.

Hoping there is sign everywhere since I'll probably be one of the last to pick a spot;-)

Comment

Hoping to scout the North side this weekend

Comment

Are there common compartments that are closed each year to hunting? Or totally based on numbers the rangers get from spotting deer?

Been scouting some, found a few promising spots so far, just my luck is they will be in the areas that we cannot hunt in!

Also do you guys see a lot of snakes out there? So far i've not seen any.

Comment

Are there common compartments that are closed each year to hunting? Or totally based on numbers the rangers get from spotting deer?
                      The areas they close have absolutely nothing to do with the deer. They base the closures (AFAIK, anyway) on what they have going on in those areas. Last year they had contractors working on "stuff".

Also do you guys see a lot of snakes out there? So far i've not seen any.
                      I see lots of snakes, but none worth worrying about. I'm sure they are out there, though. Snake boots make me feel a lot better when I'm busting through chest high grass.

Comment

Originally posted by TXJon View Post

I see lots of snakes, but none worth worrying about. I'm sure they are out there, though. Snake boots make me feel a lot better when I'm busting through chest high grass.
                        Any suggestions on good snake boots that you can walk in for a bit?
                        -- going mule deer hunting later this year at Lake Meredith -- hear there are snakes up there also.
                        -- plan on hiking a lot.. did some research on snake boots but none seem to advertise good for
                        long hikes as their selling point.

I use chaps but they are a bit of a pain in themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Falling View Post
                          Any suggestions on good snake boots that you can walk in for a bit?
                          -- going mule deer hunting later this year at Lake Meredith -- hear there are snakes up there also.
                          -- plan on hiking a lot.. did some research on snake boots but none seem to advertise good for
                          long hikes as their selling point.

I use chaps but they are a bit of a pain in themselves.
                          I've been using a pair of "super fabric" snake gaiters over my Danner Pronghorns and like them a lot. They go for around $65. Kinda pricey, but cheaper than a pair of snake boots.

Comment

Thanks Bev0 -- ordered me a pair of the "super fabric" snake gaiters ...look a lot lighter than my chaps.

Comment

Does anyone know what the trees are like out at Lake Georgetown? I haven't gotten a chance to scout out there yet and am looking to get a new stand this year. Trying to decide on a climber or hang-on, but I don't know if the trees are any good for climbers. I assume it will highly depend on your spot, but in general are climbers a bad idea for this area?

Comment

anchorman - I've not seen a whole bunch of trees conducive to latching on a climber. most folks seem to use either ladder or the ground...might be a few brave enough to put up a tripod, but wise folks don't put anything out there they are not willing to loose. not that i've heard of a big theft problem, but it could easily happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X