Bluetongue or Anthrax in Sonora?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluetongue or Anthrax in Sonora?

I had a buddy call me this morning about an outbreak in the Sonora area. He stated that he was told by the LO on his lease that it is bluetongue disease not anthrax. He was out there this weekend and couldn't believe it; dead deer everywhere. He said he didn't see a single living White-tail the entire weekend, even went as far a doing nightly drives to try to locate one or two.

I looked at the Sonora hunting thread and they are seeing similar death rates but are calling it Anthrax.

Has anyone heard of a CONFIRMED case either way? I know it is a bad deal no matter what but would be good to know for sure what they are dealing with.

So far in the Rocksprings area I have not seen anything to worry about but you never know how quickly these things can spread.

Good luck to all those LO's and hunters in that area I hope things bounce back quickly for those in that area.

I know there are confirmed cases of anthrax in Sutton County. I haven’t seen anything about blue tongue but wouldn’t be surprised by that either.

Comment

That is getting way too close to Christoval!!

Last edited by Smart; 07-29-2019, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wlee15 View Post
        I had a buddy call me this morning about an outbreak in the Sonora area. He stated that he was told by the LO on his lease that it is bluetongue disease not anthrax. He was out there this weekend and couldn't believe it; dead deer everywhere. He said he didn't see a single living White-tail the entire weekend, even went as far a doing nightly drives to try to locate one or two.

I looked at the Sonora hunting thread and they are seeing similar death rates but are calling it Anthrax.

Has anyone heard of a CONFIRMED case either way? I know it is a bad deal no matter what but would be good to know for sure what they are dealing with.

So far in the Rocksprings area I have not seen anything to worry about but you never know how quickly these things can spread.

Good luck to all those LO's and hunters in that area I hope things bounce back quickly for those in that area.
        Blu tongue is pretty common out that way. Have a place in Eden that gets hit every few years. Gnats are the biggest concern. If you have a bunch of gnats your chances increase for bluetongue. You will find deer in or beside water usually.

Comment

Following

Comment

Talked to a friend last week that leases grounds a little south of Sonora and was very concerned about this. He had confirmed that 2 different ranches approximately 12 miles south of him had been hit very hard the last few weeks, dozens of dead deer around most all water sources.

Wish the best for all in that area.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by wlee15 View Post

Where exactly in Sutton co was this. Was at our place in North East Sutton county just north west of Roosevelt this weekend and no sign of any disease.....for now. All animals are looking really healthy.....for now.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                Where exactly in Sutton co was this. Was at our place in North East Sutton county just north west of Roosevelt this weekend and no sign of any disease.....for now. All animals are looking really healthy.....for now.
                The SW portion of the county has been the focal point.

Comment

Working...
                X