Savage Axis Owners.......or any economical rifle owner for that matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Savage Axis Owners.......or any economical rifle owner for that matter

What scope did you put on your gun, what caliber and are you happy with it?

About to pull the trigger on a scope for my new Axis 22-250. I'm leaning towards a Vortex right now. Was looking for an illuminated reticle for night time pig hunting when I am not in a bow mood.....and it seems like the Crossfire II is the only choice. Am told that a Sniper Hawg Lite and an illuminated reticle is a pretty deadly combination. I just wanted to see what other TBhers were running on their affordable rifles.

I put a vortex diamondback 4-12x40 on my ruger american Predator. Found it for around $130-$140 on eBay. So far I have liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Luepold vx3i 4-12x40 with cds but i just left the turret that was already marked in moa on it. I wont order the cds turret. This is on a ruger predator 6.5 and its job in life is the loaner and light weight pack rifle.

Comment

I have the crossfire II 3-9x40 on my 6.8. That lighted dot is real nice when shooting pigs at/in the dark

Comment

Academy has a brown box Nikon 3-9X40 BDC on sale right now for a $99 + tax. It is a VERY nice scope!
          I have 4 brand new scopes plus a used Leupold that came on a Remington 700 I just bought.
          I have taken all 5 outside at dusk & dawn the last three days.
          #1 Was the old Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 (used) $175.00?????
          #2 Brown Box 3-9X40 Nikon from Academy (NIB) $99.00 on sale @ Academy
          #3.0 Vortex Diamondback 4-16X42 DH BDC (NIB) $369.00 on sale at SG (SportsmansGuide)
          #3.3 Bushnell 3-9X40 that came on my Savage Axis XP 308
          #3.8 Leatherwood 4-16X44 MD BDC SF (NIB) $68.00 on sale @ SG
          I could not tell a lot of differences the last three except the Leatherwood weight a ton and stated getting grainier than the other two @ 9 power & more.
          I tried super hard to make the Diamondback HD better than it was. No bueno'.
          I'm sending back the Diamondback & the Leatherwood.
          IMO save your money go buy the brown box Nikon 3-9X40 for $99 @ Academy or save a few more buck and buy a new or used Leupold.
          The Bushnell that came on my Savage axis XP in 308 has excellent glass IMO.
          God bless!
          Semper Fi.

Comment

A neighbor and I just bought identical Ruger American Rifles in 6.5 Creedmore (20" bbls). I put a 1st gen Nikon 3-9x40 Monarch on mine (soon to be replaced by a Vortex HSLR 4-16x44) just to get it "huntable" for last week's South Texas trip. The other rifle was set up with a similar Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 w/BDC reticle. Didn't need illuminated reticles, and both rifles balance very well with the lighter scopes. Mine is to be turned into a dedicated suppressor host for longer-range hunting, thus the upcoming scope replacement.

Stu

Comment

I would look at the Diamondback or Nikon Prostaff.. Neither are made in China.. Neither have illuminated reticle though

Crossfire II does have an illuminated reticle but it's pretty cheap and does come from China

Comment

I have had 2 Vortex scopes, did not like the clarity and sold them. Over the years I have owned many different brands and even a couple of what many call the ultimate "high priced scopes."

One aspect of asking "what scope," is like asking what your favorite rifle is? EVERYONE has a different opinion and that's ok. Well all have our favorites and again...that's ok but basing a purchase on price alone is a mistake in my book. Some believe the more you spend the more you get in performance? True for some things but not always true.

Eye relief and clarity are most important to me, so these are my qualifying factors. Most if not all offer lifetime warranty and you can argue all day about customer service if you have a failure. I mostly put those with a 50mm bell for light gathering on all our rifles, but even that is a ? during legal shooting hours....is there a difference? Yep, depending on your opinion. You can also put a mount on the scope (pic rail) that is attached to the ring so you can mount a light on it. I have a "green light" I can attach to any of our rifles that illuminates easily to 200 yards and illuminates thru the scope. (Still would love a high priced night scope, but no need with it at least for me and the boys.)

I ONLY go with Nikon these days....Prostaf at minimum for shorter range but Monarch most of the time. And NO, never a problem that I have had to send one back for lack of performance to my specs.

Best thing to do, limited at some shops, go in PERSON and test them...look thru them and see what you like? Don't look thru them only in the store, see if they will let you look outside and utilize the magnification from low to high. Tried this at Academy ONCE and no go, but I asked anyway. So probably a privately owned shop will let you do this? I buy on line these days but it is based on models I have experience with. Just a few thoughts from an Ole' Fart with years of making mistakes.....good luck!

Comment

I have a Weaver 44/40 2.8-10x 44mm Aspherical scope on my Mossberg Maverick .270 and a Meopro 3.5-10x 44mm scope on my Mossberg 4x4 30-06. I paid $100 for the Weaver and $315 for the Meopro.

I went in different directions on scopes because I bought the Maverick as a loaner and the 4x4 as my primary deer rifle. The Meopro is definitely a lot better scope.

If you shop some of the internet sites like Natchez, Opticsplanet, or Cameraland, you can find some bargains.

Comment

Yeah. Buy the crossfire. Fitting. Enjoy it.

Comment

Does Nikon make a scope anymore without that BDC reticle? For some reason I just can’t get used to it/don’t like it.

Comment

Leupold rifleman 4x12 on a savage axis 223. Shoots dimes at a hundo

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          Yeah. Buy the crossfire. Fitting. Enjoy it.
                          Is this where I say....

"I've killed piles of animals with a crossfire"

Comment

Thanks gentlemen for the suggestions... I have Nikon Monarchs on my current 270s and had a Leupold VX3 on my 270 weatherby mag before I sold it, but was looking to go a little more economical on one for this 22-250 to start.....

Heard good things about the Vortex in the past and shoot one currently on my 17HMR that is money. That was the reason I was leaning towards it.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              Is this where I say....

"I've killed piles of animals with a crossfire"
                              Your comments are why you won't get any help from me. Buy the crossfire.

You're such an awesome hunter. Sitting in a box LOL. Might get winded getting out of the truck and have to take a break. And forget stalking animals unless you want to pass out. But go on with your pro hunter status!!

Comment

Working...
                              X