5.4 Triton Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.4 Triton Problems

I have a 2007 f150 Screw 4x4 that I’m having some problems with. I am getting a new power steering pump, passenger side exhaust manifold, and cats installed later this week. Luckily I found a shop to do it all for less than $1k. My question is there anything I can do/install to prevent the exhaust manifold from warping/cracking again? I know it’s a known problem with these trucks. I have 156k miles on it. Thanks

5.4 triton

Originally posted by Mini-x fan View Post
    I have a 2007 f150 Screw 4x4 that I’m having some problems with. I am getting a new power steering pump, passenger side exhaust manifold, and cats installed later this week. Luckily I found a shop to do it all for less than $1k. My question is there anything I can do/install to prevent the exhaust manifold from warping/cracking again? I know it’s a known problem with these trucks. I have 156k miles on it. Thanks
    where did you get work done. Asking cause I have one no prob. with exhaust.Mine is 2002.

Comment

I’m going to be using New Star Muffler shop in Cypress. They have the best price of anyone by far on the manifold.

Comment

Originally posted by Mini-x fan View Post
        If you made it 156k before it became an issue, I think the truck will be just about dead the next time you have to do the repair. I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Where you getting repair done? I have same in 2002 never heard of known prob,mine has oil pan leak, but w/ 291k well. runs strong.

Comment

You're getting a new power steering pump, exhaust manifold and NEW catalytic converters installed for $1000...??? Did I read that right? That's over 1k in parts alone...

Comment

How did you find out about the warped/cracked manifold? My 08 is making a weird sound I think maybe an exhaust leak but am not sure and would like to get it fixed sometime in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                You're getting a new power steering pump, exhaust manifold and NEW catalytic converters installed for $1000...??? Did I read that right? That's over 1k in parts alone...
                Yes this shop does work dirt cheap and uses non oem parts. I’ve used them before and they are great. As far as the exhaust leak goes on a cold start it ticks really loud from the passenger side of the engine bay. When it warms up and idles there is no ticking. When accelerating under a load it also ticks very loudly.

Comment

Originally posted by bowburro.53 View Post
                  Where you getting repair done? I have same in 2002 never heard of known prob,mine has oil pan leak, but w/ 291k well. runs strong.
                  Its the 04-07 motors that are a problem.

OP the next repairs you will be making are the timing chain, cam phasers and other stuff, if not the whole motor. Be prepared for the rear end to go out too. Just google those year model motors and rear ends, they all have problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post

OP the next repairs you will be making are the timing chain, cam phasers and other stuff, if not the whole motor. Be prepared for the rear end to go out too. Just google those year model motors and rear ends, they all have problems.
                    I had all those repairs done to mine and the truck still didn't run the way it was supposed to. It had 108K miles 2010 model. It started with that "ticking" noise and would go away once it warmed up. It also began to lose power. I gave up and just traded it in for my f250.

Comment

Yep. And I would bet the OPs ticking noise is more than just an exhaust manifold. It start that way, then gets worse, then starts throwing off the wall codes and next thing you know $5K in repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post

Just replaced cam phasers, timing chains, oil pump cam shafts etc on my 2008. About 1800-2000 in parts. Did the work myself. Got a quote for about $5000. Had that ticking for a long time before I replaced all the parts. Sounds and runs like a new truck now

Comment

I had an '04 that I still regret selling with 260k miles on it. I had to replace the driver side manifold at around 140k miles and never had any other problems with it.

Comment

The tick usually is the timing chain/cam phasers. I have a 04 with 205,000 on it with original parts. Knock knock. I think my transmission is starting to slip coming out of overdrive though.

Comment

My tranny has the same slip going into overdrive. I always drive with overdrive off now.

Comment

Working...
                              X