X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diamond

Comment

Comment

Zacks from Costco. 4 star rated by many of the websites.

Comment

Looks like my wife is bringing home pro plan performance from tractor supply. We are kind of limited choices. Now that we're living in Onalaska. Thank you all for all your input I really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
            Victors..... Best one out there for working dogs...imho

Victor red bag is the stuff

That or hunter green bag Diamond.

Comment

Victor Brand Super Premium from a feed store. I have used all of the premium brands over the years and the dogs do much better on this. It was recommended by my vet, even though they sell a couple of different premium brands.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                Stay away form corn.
                Why

Please explain this to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
                  Purina pro plan for our lab.

This

Comment

I buy grain free dog food, right... Well my goofy GSP goes right over to the ground bird feeders I have and snacks away every day... like he is a bird... goofy

Comment

Grain is not good for a dog and it will give them terrible gas and indigestion. Check the reports on grain and the ratings of all the dry and wet dog foods on the market. Some will shock you with the ratings that are supposedly the best, according to advertisements.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                        Grain is not good for a dog and it will give them terrible gas and indigestion. Check the reports on grain and the ratings of all the dry and wet dog foods on the market. Some will shock you with the ratings that are supposedly the best, according to advertisements.
                        Really could you show me some Data on that. You know like a scientific journal.

Comment

Purina 1 smart blend with venison and turkey,,, we started buying that because my boxer has problems with some other dogs foods and would puke way to often,, we ran out of the puppy chow we were giving the lab and started giving her the same thing,, they both love it,,, not as expensive as some others but both dogs have done very well on it,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Brannon74 View Post
                            Really could you show me some Data on that. You know like a scientific journal.
                            i cant do that but this is exactly what my vet told me, and that some dogs have queasy stomachs and that grains were only there as filler,,, after changing to a food that is primarily meat all has been good with my dogs, especially the boxer

Comment

Shame on your vet.

Sorry I just get tired of people listening to mass media marketing and believing the crap they spit out.

Corn

Corn is a unique type of produce that is considered either a grain or a vegetable, depending on the variety as well as the stage it is harvested and consumed. In pet food, corn can be an extremely nutritious and beneficial ingredient.

Nutrient Composition

Corn can provide a myriad of beneficial nutrients for dogs and cats:
                              •Protein – a source of highly digestible protein, including two amino acids important for skin and coat health, Methionine and Cysteine.
                              •Starch – a highly digestible source of energy and also is essential in the creation of kibble structure during extrusion
                              •Fibre – Soluble and insoluble fibres that are important for gastrointestinal health and promote optimal stool quality
                              •Fatty Acids – Omega 6 essential fatty acids (linoleic acid, LA) are indispensable for skin health and coat quality
                              •Vitamins – excellent source of B complex vitamins, vitamin E and vitamin A
                              •Minerals – excellent source of minerals, including zinc and manganese
                              •Lutein and Zeaxanthin – powerful antioxidants that contribute to the corn’s yellow pigmentation. They are especially important in supporting eye health and protecting the cellular membrane from free radical attack

Types of Corn

There are different varieties of corn that are grown across the world for different purposes. The corn humans enjoy with butter during the summer months is quite different in nutritional content than the corn used in pet food. Sweet corn is consumed as a vegetable either fresh on the cob or canned or frozen. Sweet corn is high in sugar, giving it a “sweet” flavor and higher glycemic index. Dent corn (field corn) is used in human corn products (such as corn chips) and animal feed. Dent corn is a great source of many beneficial nutrients, including protein, starch and antioxidants (lutein and zeaxanthin).

Digestibility of Corn

Corn requires very fine grinding (as do other raw materials) in preparation for cooking to maximize the availability of corn’s nutrients. The digestibility of starch from corn in dogs and cats has been well documented in the scientific literature. The NRC 2006 (National Research Council) notes that grinding alone increases the digestibility of corn starch in cats from 79 to 94%3. The increased surface area to volume ratio of starch granules after grinding improves accessibility of digestive enzymes to make the nutrients more available for absorption4. Not all corn is ground to the same extent in pet food. The more finely ground the corn is, the more nutrients are available for digestion and absorption.

Corn is also an excellent source of high quality, highly digestible protein. This greatly depends on the type of corn used and the manufacturing processes during pet food production. In addition, corn protein is an excellent source of two sulfur containing amino acids, methionine and cysteine, which are important for skin and coat health.

Corn Products Used in Pet Food

Corn can be processed in a variety of ways to be used in pet food. Each corn product can be specifically chosen to provide a unique source of nutrients to complete the diet.
                              Corn or Corn Meal – The entire ground corn kernel. It is an excellent source of all the beneficial nutrients discussed above.
                              Corn Gluten (Meal) – The protein-rich fraction of the corn. It can be used as is or rendered (see info page on rendering) to remove the moisture and fat which increases the protein content. This also provides a more concentrated source of lutein and zeaxathine.
                              Corn Starch – The carbohydrate fraction of the corn and has a digestibility of 79 to 94% depending on processing. This fraction can be used as an energy source and to support kibble structure.

References
                              1. Heartland Science 2005. Heartland Science: Ohio’s Legacy of Discovery and Innovation. Accessed on Sept. 2012: http://www.heartlandscience.org/agri...df/yelcorn.pdf
                              2. Whole Grains Council. Accessed on Sept 2012: http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/wh.../types-of-corn
                              3. United States Department of Agriculture. Accessed on Sept 2012: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/sh...=&qlookup=corn
                              4. United States Department of Agriculture – Natural Resources Conservation Service. Accessed on Sept 2012: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PLPS
                              5. Morris J, et al. 1977. Carbohydrate digestion by the domestic cat (Felis catus). Br J Nutr. 37:365-373.
                              6. Wuersch P, et al. 1986. Cell structure and starch nature as key determinants of the digestion rate of starch in legumes. Am J Clin Nutr. 43:25-29.
                              7. Corn Refiners Association. http://www.corn.org/products/definitions/

Comment

This is all good info but we have experimented plenty at my house and I can tell you for certain, the more protein my lab eats, the more he farts. I don't mean just normal farts either, I'm talking room clearing gag reflex farts.

Comment

Working...
                                X