Jack County buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack County buck

I got this buck last Saturday, 12/22/12. This was a big, old 7 point that we have seen several times on trail cams, but this was my first live sighting of him.

We played a game of cat and mouse starting at about 7:00 am, with him leaving, circling, coming in from a different direction, getting within 5 yards of me, then circling again, etc, etc...

I finally had him quartering away at 30 yards at 7:15 and got a shot. The shot was a bit back, getting liver and the opposite lung. I waited 30 minutes before getting out to check my arrow. I had good blood and followed it for about 80 yards into some of the thickest briars on our place. One step into the briars and the buck jumped up and bolted. Dang! I had pushed him! I backed out and went back to camp for a couple of hours before resuming my track. I went right back to where I jumped him and started again. After following the blood into the thick stuff I realized that it was a different deer that I had jumped. The blood went right, the deer I had jumped was to the left. It wasn't the buck I had shot! Sure enough, the blood led me to my deer just a short distance away.

When I walked up on him, I realized I had my hands full getting this big son of a gun out of there by myself (Chuck was running about 25 hours late, surprise surprise).

Click image for larger version

Name:	down.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	24941979

Well, I struggled, huffed and puffed, and finally got him drug through all of the thick crap and into an opening where I could get the golf cart. But I knew there was no way I would be able to get him into the cart by myself...

Name:	cart.jpg
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	24941980

So I went back to camp to put the rack on the cart so hopefully I could drag him up on it. It took some effort, but I finally got him loaded onto the rack to take him back to camp.

Name:	loaded.jpg
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	24941981

I got back to camp and wanted to take some pictures. It was then I realized I had remembered my tripod, but not my camera! All I had was my phone and no easy way to take self portraits. So, unfortunately all I have are these iPhone photos.

I was, and am, proud of getting this old fellow!
    If I didn't think my opinion was right, then it wouldn't be my opinion. So, any other opinion must be wrong, therefore stupid.

Nice buck!!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Very nice. Was the other deer hit or just walked up on a bedded deer? Played the same game with a buck Thursday afternoon but never got a shot. Congrats on an awesome buck.

Comment

Nice buck. Where about in Jack County do you hunt?

Comment

Good one

Comment

Nice buck very nice

Comment

Originally posted by Mouse View Post
                Very nice. Was the other deer hit or just walked up on a bedded deer? Played the same game with a buck Thursday afternoon but never got a shot. Congrats on an awesome buck.
                Just walked up on another bedded buck!

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                Nice buck. Where about in Jack County do you hunt?
                Around Bryson.
                If I didn't think my opinion was right, then it wouldn't be my opinion. So, any other opinion must be wrong, therefore stupid.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nicr

Comment

Congratulations.

Comment

congrats on a nice deer!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats to you