Chili recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chili recipe?

Anyone have a good chili recipe they could share?

[ATTACH]2052[/ATTACH]
    Last edited by Snakelover; 05-13-2015, 02:35 PM.

Comment

My quick and easy recipe (ingredients can be doubled for larger crowds):

2 lbs of ground venison or beef
      2 packs of McCormick Chili mix
      1 large onion
      1 large bell pepper
      2 large cans of kidney beans
      4 cans of hunt's tomato sauce
      4 cups of water
      Chili powder

==========================

Brown the meat (I don't drain the fat but you can if you want)

add meat to your chili pot along with water, tomato sauce, and mccormick seasonings

bring to a boil

reduce to a low boil/high simmer and add chopped up onion and bell pepper.
      Taste test the sauce and add chili powder to get it the way you like it.

Cook for at least 30 minutes and add the beans in the last 10 minutes. Stir occassionally.

I like to serve over bowls of rice...it makes it last longer and it tastes great!

Comment

It can only truly be Texas red if it walks the thin line just this side of indigestibility: ****ing the mouth that eats it and defying the stomach to digest it, the ingredients are hardly willing to lie in the same pot together.

- John Thorne

Here is my recipe for true Texas red chili. I borrowed bits and pieces from other recipes, combined them, added some things of my own, subtracted some things. I basically "Frankensteined" the whole recipe. I'll put my notes in red.

TEXAS RED CHILI

Lightly brown 3½ to 4 pounds of chili grind beef or venison in a tablespoon of shortening and a clove or two of minced garlic. Use 2 tablespoons shortening if using venison without added beef or pork fat. You can use cubed meat if you don't have chili grind

ADD
        2 Cans - 8 oz Hunt's Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce. Use regular tomato sauce if you can't find the roasted garlic variety.
        ½ Can - 14½ oz Swanson Roasted Garlic Chicken Broth. Use regular Chicken Broth if the roasted garlic is unavailable. Save remainder for later use.
        1 Can - 14½ oz Swanson Flavored Beef Broth. Use regular Beef Broth if Flavored is unavailable.
        ½ tsp - Cayenne pepper
        2 tsp - Wyler's Instant Beef Bouillon Granules or Shakers (Do not reconstitute before adding)
        2 tsp - Wyler's Instant Chicken Bouillon Granules or Shakers (Do not reconstitute before adding)
        1 tbsp - Pendery's Fort Worth Light Chili Powder
        3 - Serrano peppers with stems removed
        1½ tbsp - Onion powder
        1 tsp - Cumin

Bring to a boil uncovered for 1 hour.
        Remove the serranos and squeeze the juice into the chili. And add:

1 tsp - White pepper
        1 - Individual packet of Sazon GOYA Con Culantro y achiote (coriander & annatto).
        3 tbsp - Gunpowder Foods Texas Red Chile Pepper
        1 tsp - Garlic powder
        1 tbsp - Cumin
        2 tbsp - Pendery's Forth Worth Light Chili Powder

Adjust the liquid with the remaining chicken broth from above and other liquids, if necessary (I use the chicken broth, beef broth, and beer. BE CAREFUL adjusting the liquid with beer. Too much beer adds too much "sweetness" to the final product, trust me on this one!!). Cover and cook on medium to medium-high heat for about 30-45 minutes. Too much heat causes you to lose too much liquid, forcing you to continually add more. This is where you can accidentally add too much beer. Then add the following:

½ tsp - Brown sugar
        1 tbsp - Pendery's Fort Worth Light Chili Powder
        ½ tsp - Gunpowder Foods Hot Stuff
        1 tsp - Cumin

Adjust liquid, if necessary, then cover and simmer for 10-20 minutes. Serve hot to any and all brave souls!!

NOTES
        You DO NOT want to add more than 1 beer while adjusting your liquid. Beer has a lot of sugar in it, and it adds too much sweetness to your chili.

Gunpowder Foods can be found at http://www.bigbruce.com/

Pendery's Spices can be found at http://www.penderys.com/. They've got a LOT of good stuff!!

Sazon GOYA is available at a lot of supermarkets. But if you can't find it, Pendery's carries it in their Blends and Rubs section as SAZON GOYA-ACHIOTE 1.41OZ 8 PACK.
        If you wonder why I use these "special, name-brand" spices instead of the more readily available ones (Kroger Brand Chili Powder, etc..), it's because these are spice blends and/or special chile grinds. For example, the Texas Red Chile Pepper from Gunpowder is a very mild chile pepper grind, but it adds a lot of flavor and great color.

Let me know if you have any questions, and let me know how yours turns out!!
        If I didn't think my opinion was right, then it wouldn't be my opinion. So, any other opinion must be wrong, therefore stupid.

Comment

Couple of things I've done differently the past couple of times:

Instead of using the Crisco for added grease, I've diced up some smoked bacon and added to the meat before starting cooking. Don't fry the bacon first, just mix it with the chili grind or venison raw. It adds a hint of smoke flavor to the chili that I thought was pretty danged good.

The second thing, instead of the Gundpowder Foods Texas Red Chile Pepper, I've been using Pendery's Pecos Red chile pepper. It's just as good, in my opinion, but easier for me to get since we have a Pendery's right here in Fort Worth. No shipping...

Good luck!!
          If I didn't think my opinion was right, then it wouldn't be my opinion. So, any other opinion must be wrong, therefore stupid.

Comment

This has won me a couple of awards. As you can see I make it on a GRAND scale for several people. For a small amount, divide everything by approx. 7

Chili Recipe

20 lbs. Of course ground chili meat
            5 lbs. Pork sausage
            7 Tbsp. Fresh crushed garlic
            7 medium onions chopped
            10 Tbsp cumin (1/2 while cooking/1/2 prior to serving)
            4 Tbsp salt
            5 Tbsp black pepper
            4 cups chili powder
            2 cups paprika
            90 oz. tomato sauce
            30 oz. crushed tomatoes
            2 – 6 oz. cans green chilies
            6 tsp brown sugar (added shortly before serving)
            1 ½ tsp dry mustard
            1 ½ tsp MSG
            5 pinches oregano
            1 ¼ cups Wesson oil
            2 – 11 oz. cans beef broth
            1 can Miller Lite
            4 shots of tequila

Brown meat and onions together. Drain most of grease from each pan of meat. Add all other ingredients, as instructed from above, into pot and simmer on low heat for 2 hours. Stir frequently making sure heat is not too high. Add water if necessary, but sparingly. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer on low heat until served.

Comment

Thanks for all the help!

Gotta go shoppin' now.

Comment

Don't forget the beans!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  Don't forget the beans!

NO BEANS IN THE CHILI!

Comment

MOM's Quick & Easy Deer Chili

1.5 lbs package Ground Venison (prefer burger not chili meat)
                    1 Large Onion (diced)
                    1 Tablespoon minced garlic (add more if you like garlic)
                    1 package McCormick Mild Chili Seasoning (can get HOT if you like)
                    2 (15 oz) cans Ranch Style Beans (do not drain)
                    1 (10 oz) can Rotel Original (do not drain)
                    Rice (cooked) - We use Minute Rice when in a Big Rush.
                    Shredded Cheese

I (Mom) make this for our family of 4. Usually have left overs for Keith to take to the deer lease. Really quick and easy. I hope you enjoy it.

Saute the onion and garlic, add the venison burger, cook until browned (drain if necessary, I don't). Add Chili Seasoning, Beans & Rotel. Add Garlic Powder, Onion Salt or Powder to taste. Cook for about 20 minutes. Serve over rice with shredded cheese on top. Has a little kick, but doesn't stay with you for days if you know what I mean.

Another one - Easy Deer Meat Tacos
                    1.5 lb package Venison Burger
                    1 Medium Onion
                    1 1/2 Package McCormick Taco Seasoning (any variety will do)
                    Add water (per package directions)

Saute Onion, add burger till browned (drain if necessary), add taco seasoning and water per directions on package. Cook for about 5 Minutes. Serve it up with the fixins, also great to take to the deer lease with some tortillas and cheese for burritos. Kids don't know the difference.

Comment

Venison
                      Beans
                      Cayenne

My wife took the Cayenne away from me after the last batch

Comment

If you add beans, you may as well add some elbow macaroni and change the name to friggin goulash!

Comment

Beans or no beans, is handed down from generation to generation.

For me, it ain't chilli without beans, it is just soup.

Comment

Well put BentBow

Comment

Originally posted by Fulldraw View Post
                              If you add beans, you may as well add some elbow macaroni and change the name to friggin goulash!
                              AMEN!
                              Ain't no "B" in C H I L L I!!!!

Where the rest of y'all from, New York City? -- Get a rope!

Comment

Working...
                              X