No announcement yet.

String Trackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another way to attach the string to the arrow is with the Saunder's accessory for it. I've used it with aluminum arrows for years and they work very well. If you get a pass through, you will only have one line to the animal and with less drag. Less drag means a much better chance that the line won't break if one runs a long way.

On my wood arrows that I normally use, I tie a clove hitch and an over hand knot on the point end of the arrow right behind the point. It has worked well but I have a double line as I almost always shoot through.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
      Bob, how do you place the skunk scent when you use it?

Rick
      I use one of the wick containers. Put it just down wind at the level I'm sitting.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

That was in 2011 so he's probably figured it out by now.

Comment

Refresher information. Gotta review the basics.[emoji4]

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
            I like it that way because the tracker string just recoils back with the arrow and doesn't come back over your hand like with the lower set ups.
            Thank you Draco. Thank you MasonRed.

Comment

I put mine opposite side of shelf but am not shooting quiver on bow. I couldn't tell any difference at 15 and 20. But I shot several shots with it attached before I put the string to some arrows. Hope to get to try it out soon.

Comment

I got one I'll make you a good deal on.

Comment

I take it you didn't like it?

Comment

Too loud.

Comment

I have not used a string tracker for deer because of the noise. I got a tip from a user to turn the spool around and it was still noisy. I discussed the noise issue with Jerry Russell of Russell outdoor guides. He has killed a pile of big game animals with a tracker, including deer, and said the noise at hunting distances is not a problem. I'm going to try it next fall.

Comment

I would expect that he hunts deaf deer. The deer at our lease have never been string jumpers. But on two shots on doe with it they have. I may use it for pigs but not for deer again.

Comment

welp, hard to argue with your real world experience.

Comment

Nice, my buddy hunts with one

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                              That was in 2011 so he's probably figured it out by now.
                              Naa. I just kept doing it the old fashion way. Only draw back is when I come home, and have to listen to all the whining about how I smell.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                                I would expect that he hunts deaf deer. The deer at our lease have never been string jumpers. But on two shots on doe with it they have. I may use it for pigs but not for deer again.

I personally know Jerry and have hunted with him several times. The dude is a killing machine! He is very methodical on how he sets up and will not take marginal shots or at deer that are wired or on high alert therefore maintains a good kill ratio.
                                I also hunt with a string tracker every time I'm sitting in a stand and
                                I've never had a deer jump the string!
                                I'm not near as selective on my shots as Jerry might be but I also don't hunt jumpy deer. I usually set up on trails away from feeders or on corn piles off in the thick stuff. I also like to hunt travel corridors where the deer don't seam to be on high alert when they are traveling from one spot to the next.
                                What's My point? Deer on high alert are likely to jump the string with or without a string tracker at Trad shot distances .

Comment

Working...
                                X