HDWrench Arrow Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDWrench Arrow Build

Arrow Da Torch 400 7.2 GPI shaft is 27.5 6 mm RPS insert press in 6 mm nock Running Slick trick 4 blade 100 grain .

Bow Hoyt carbon fiber SPYDER shooting 63 lbs I do not recall what the chrono read sorry .

As far as the setup goes its lights out accurate and last deer was a big mule deer in Co at 48 yards . pass through and it had the arrow buried in the berm behind the deer another 10 yards about 6 inches into the dirt .

however if it can be better all for that . maybe a broad head weight change .. I like the arrows and they are pricey WHeww

28 inch draw vanes are easton blazers 3 of them I cam up with like 12 % but not sure I am doing it correctly .

Options to improve upon the set up is never a bad thing .. And hunting elk again this year so it if can get better I am all for it .

yes currently its doing great but until you try the next thing you cannot compare the two .

Okay, just trying to keep it all straight.

Here is your current arrow. As you can see, it is already on the weak side; I would not add any weight to this shaft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HDWrenchArrowV1.0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	25149621

If you choose a broadhead with good to great characteristics I would go with this arrow; on the low end for weight (for Elk), but good speed and good FOC. Also, this arrow is a little longer than what you are currently shooting, by design, to get that almost perfect spine match (on paper).

Name:	HDWrenchArrowV2.0.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	25149622

Rat you need a new avatar picture.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
      Rat you need a new avatar picture.
      Is that a...

Lab Rat?

Comment

Haha, maybe.
        I googled rat scientist.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rat;13459147]Arrow Da Torch 400 7.2 GPI shaft is 27.5 6 mm RPS insert press in 6 mm nock Running Slick trick 4 blade 100 grain .

Bow Hoyt carbon fiber SPYDER shooting 63 lbs I do not recall what the chrono read sorry .

As far as the setup goes its lights out accurate and last deer was a big mule deer in Co at 48 yards . pass through and it had the arrow buried in the berm behind the deer another 10 yards about 6 inches into the dirt .

however if it can be better all for that . maybe a broad head weight change .. I like the arrows and they are pricey WHeww

28 inch draw vanes are easton blazers 3 of them I cam up with like 12 % but not sure I am doing it correctly .

Options to improve upon the set up is never a bad thing .. And hunting elk again this year so it if can get better I am all for it .

yes currently its doing great but until you try the next thing you cannot compare the two .

Okay, just trying to keep it all straight.

Here is your current arrow. As you can see, it is already on the weak side; I would not add any weight to this shaft.

Name:	HDWrenchArrowV1.0.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	25149621

If you choose a broadhead with good to great characteristics I would go with this arrow; on the low end for weight (for Elk), but good speed and good FOC. Also, this arrow is a little longer than what you are currently shooting, by design, to get that almost perfect spine match (on paper).

Name:	HDWrenchArrowV2.0.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	25149622[/QUOTE

Ok so for elk I will increase my draw a bit into the 65-68 range so let try something for elk my shoots out there are longer fir sure 40-60 is avg I will use it fir deer as well Thank you for taking the time

Comment

am I reading that right my FPS will drop to 246??

Comment

Looks like I ran a few things incorrectly the first time. Here is the original arrow again, but with corrected input.

Name:	HDWrenchV1.2.JPG
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	24543743

Here is the Elk arrow I would build. I used a Carinivore shaft as the Da Torch doesn't have a .300 option.

Name:	HDWrenchV2.1.JPG
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	24543744

Also, I use the Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo, you didn't specify which model.

Comment

Rat. My ontarget will not work. I got the tap program. I ran the last one you just did where you show 300 spine. Thevtapmshows same set up at 265. Now which one is correct

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                  Rat. My ontarget will not work. I got the tap program. I ran the last one you just did where you show 300 spine. Thevtapmshows same set up at 265. Now which one is correct
                  Good question.
                  I have been using TAP Pro for years, and I put a lot of faith into that program, but I always felt it was a little stiff; and maybe that's by design.

To be honest, I'm not a good enough mathmagician to know which is correct.

We are talking about a .035 swing in parameters, maybe one is on one end and the other is on the other end on the "optimum" spine spectrum. I really don't know.

That is why I have downloaded OnTarget and AA to compare to TAP Pro.

Comment

WOW that a much larger drop in FPS than I thought even with the new input .. For 60 yards shots that is a huge change .

Thank you for the help I will have to think about that . The distance for Co elk is not like hunting here . I wish I had longer arms ha ha silly short draw of mine

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                      WOW that a much larger drop in FPS than I thought even with the new input .. For 60 yards shots that is a huge change .

Thank you for the help I will have to think about that . The distance for Co elk is not like hunting here . I wish I had longer arms ha ha silly short draw of mine
                      It may seem that way when looking at the numbers and if you are used to shooting light, fast combos. But 270 is a good speed with almost a 500 gr arrow and is the speed I generally shoot for on my personal builds. 270 FPS or thereabouts is the sweet spot for big fixed blade heads, a very forgiving speed, for me anyway.

It is definitely possible to shoot faster with big CoC heads, but everything must be perfect; and not just tuning, but the shot in the field as well.

Comment

I refusse to shoot a mechanical broad head I have tried thtem and had a few that just did not do the job failure wise .. So I started shoot slick trick and they shoot just like my field points .

I never bothered to paper tune as I can hit a 4X4 post it at 60 yards to the point I will damage my arrows . shooting more than a couple at the same spot . To me that is working great .

But what you say makes sense and with elk I wanted more punch anyways ..

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                          I refusse to shoot a mechanical broad head I have tried thtem and had a few that just did not do the job failure wise .. So I started shoot slick trick and they shoot just like my field points .

I never bothered to paper tune as I can hit a 4X4 post it at 60 yards to the point I will damage my arrows . shooting more than a couple at the same spot . To me that is working great .

But what you say makes sense and with elk I wanted more punch anyways ..
                          Everything is a compromise; if you are putting arrows into a 4 x 4 square at 60 yards you are doing it right. I don't care what the speed is...

Comment

Well thank you I spend a lot of time flinging arrows I am luck as I live on 3 acres here in town so I can shoot any time I want I shoot in my shop as well but its only 22 yards

Comment

Working...
                            X